Can Franks hold on to the Number 1 QB spot?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
217 yrds against with one of the worst OL we will face? 19/30 (63%) for ~ 7rds/play. Before Saturday he had almost NO playing time.

The kid played well under the circumstances. He started 12-14 throwing everything underneath. But the 2nd half he was only 7-16 and was the reason for many of those sacks.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
NO Franks should have picked the U a part.

DUDE...I agree, MIA did not "Pick us apart"...OKAY but early on he was finding our underbelly.

MY POINT...He is a RFR that everyone expected to FOLD under the pressure. FRANKS is a RJR with tons of playing time and some smokin hot WR/TE w/ several size mismatches.

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. We spend a massive amount of time on here complaining about the recruiting of this staff, and of course, the previous. The mantra, which I agree with for the most part is that we'll never compete with the big boys again, until we start recruiting on par with them. But then in the same breath we're insisting that we should blow out a team whose three classes of '16-18 were ranked 23rd, 11th and 6th, while our own during that span were 14th, 9th and 17th. The average ranking of their 2nd, 3rd and 4th year players is literally the exact same as us. Throw in a the same defensive scheme all 4 seasons, a defensive minded head coach, and a huge rivalry game in week 1, and it's simply not in line with reality.

To be clear, I'm not dismissing Franks' errors or saying there isn't reason for concern with his progress. But I'm starting to agree with what someone(Dude or Zambo, I think) said that part of our issue is some
convinced themselves for months that we'd pick them apart and crush their dreams, when even Vegas had us in a one score game. It just was never very likely as much as we wanted it.

On the second part, to me that's just Grantham. The exposed the aggression in the first few drives, but then there were some adjustments and he was something like 6-17 beyond that and spent most of the night on his back. It will cost us somewhere along the way, but it's probably about as perfect a game in TG's eyes as he'll ever see.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I wish PFF would explain its grades. Was Franks rated at 44 primarily because he was responsible for 3 of the 4 TOs or was the rest of his play graded poorly as well?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I'm going to respectfully disagree here. We spend a massive amount of time on here complaining about the recruiting of this staff, and of course, the previous. The mantra, which I agree with for the most part is that we'll never compete with the big boys again, until we start recruiting on par with them. But then in the same breath we're insisting that we should blow out a team whose three classes of '16-18 were ranked 23rd, 11th and 6th, while our own during that span were 14th, 9th and 17th. The average ranking of their 2nd, 3rd and 4th year players is literally the exact same as us. Throw in a the same defensive scheme all 4 seasons, a defensive minded head coach, and a huge rivalry game in week 1, and it's simply not in line with reality.

To be clear, I'm not dismissing Franks' errors or saying there isn't reason for concern with his progress. But I'm starting to agree with what someone(Dude or Zambo, I think) said that part of our issue is some
convinced themselves for months that we'd pick them apart and crush their dreams, when even Vegas had us in a one score game. It just was never very likely as much as we wanted it.

On the second part, to me that's just Grantham. The exposed the aggression in the first few drives, but then there were some adjustments and he was something like 6-17 beyond that and spent most of the night on his back. It will cost us somewhere along the way, but it's probably about as perfect a game in TG's eyes as he'll ever see.
Several of us were saying that. I’m not sure where the idea that their talent was way behind us came from. I think some folks convinced themselves that because this was an ACC team with a new QB and suspect OTs, we’d nuke them. Didn’t align with reality.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I’m not sure where the idea that their talent was way behind us came from. I think some folks convinced themselves that because this was an ACC team with a new QB and suspect OTs, we’d nuke them

I was concerned when Fowler opened the game talking about how he had spent time around our team during the week and we were not taking Miami seriously. He flat out said our team did not respect them or the ACC. That’s an awful mindset against any rival.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I remember watching the Rose Bowl between Ou and uga, and I agree. The bulldog players wanted nothing more than to shut Mayfield up, and they ultimately got their wish, before losing in the title game on 2nd and 26.

Manziel was similar.

It’s unfortunately the way a lot of kids are these days, but I struggle to see it winning a title. It’s putting your mental weaknesses on display and encouraging defenders to want beat you. The moment things go south, those guys typically don’t recover.

I’m still somewhat hopeful on FF, but I’d hoped to see him take a big step forward on maturity and he didn’t.
Sofla, one difference is that guys like Mayfield, Manziel, and to a lesser extent Tebow could back it up on the field. Franks can't.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I was concerned when Fowler opened the game talking about how he had spent time around our team during the week and we were not taking Miami seriously. He flat out said our team did not respect them or the ACC. That’s an awful mindset against any rival.
Hopefully this brings them back to reality. Maybe it was even good, in some ways. Had we not made those two fumbles, it’s likely we do run them out of the stadium. Our guys would’ve been patting themselves on the back all the way to Kentucky and it’s possible some of these same fundamental issue rear their ugly head - maybe even losing again. I bet after the coaches torch then the next two weeks they’ll be plenty focused on Kentucky.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I guarantee anyone would be happy with Franks this year passing for 3000 yards, throwing 25 tds, and rushing for 12 more. He needs to clean up a few things no doubt, but good God people, our running game worries me more than Franks.
Our running game suffers because of Franks - you can't act like he has nothing to do with the run game. In this offense, the threat of a QB to run is everything.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

The talent composite for UM vs. UF's rosters is almost identical. Same w/ FSU (ours is slightly better, 51% to 49%).

Jarren Williams is going to be a very good college QB. When he was recruited he was committed to UK, then started getting a ton of offers. The kid played w/ poise in his very first college game and behind the world's worst OL. Anybody not impressed is kidding themselves. I am thankful it was his first start (just like when we played Manziel).

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I wish PFF would explain its grades. Was Franks rated at 44 primarily because he was responsible for 3 of the 4 TOs or was the rest of his play graded poorly as well?
Wasn’t responsible for 3 out of 4. Swain caused the INT when it would have been a TD for Cleveland. Partly responsible for the RZ drop but saw the easy touchdown which he tried to pull out for. The pitch to Davis was also a touchdown. The 4 min int was a terrible call and the oline got pushed into Franks as he was trying to throw away. Either way that’s completely on him.

The game isn’t even remotely as bad as it seemed live.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I really, really, want to see EJ get A LOT of snaps in the next three games - serious snaps that actually mean something. I haven't seen enough yet to say that EJ is absolutely the future at QB, especially with AR on the horizon. But EJ can't prove himself if he doesn't play, and I am so weary of FF's shytty attitude, and his penchant for screwing up with the game on the line that I could phukking cry. Is he Rodney Brewer bad? No, but that really isn't saying much. If you don't remember Rodney Brewer, count yourself as being lucky.

I have seen enough of FF to believe that he may well never outgrow his "immaturity"- and actually become a championship contending QB. And although I think the stuff about giving up on DM after an 11-3 start is premature to say the least, I AM DEFINITELY READY to look in a new direction at QB. And finally, if DM doesn't start recruiting better AND find a better answer at QB soon, he really will, in fact, be headed for some very choppy water.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't think so. According to this national composite ranking. UF #15, Miami #17, and surprisingly FSU #6.

2019 College Football Team Talent Composite

There's another one called "Raw Team Talent" and it does the comparison by %, and it has UF 50.9% to 49.1% (I'll try to find a link).

Edit: just reading on TOS and the chart was an error (that was the UF/Tenn comparison), so yes....FSU is 6th in team talent. That is amazing!

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I really, really, want to see EJ get A LOT of snaps in the next three games - serious snaps that actually mean something. I haven't seen enough yet to say that EJ is absolutely the future at QB, especially with AR on the horizon. But EJ can't prove himself if he doesn't play, and I am so weary of FF's shytty attitude, and his penchant for screwing up with the game on the line that I could phukking cry. Is he Rodney Brewer bad? No, but that really isn't saying much. If you don't remember Rodney Brewer, count yourself as being lucky.

I have seen enough of FF to believe that he will never outgrow his "immaturity"- and actually become a championship contender type QB. And although I think the stuff about giving up on DM after an 11-3 start is premature to say the least, I AM DEFINITELY READY to look in a new direction at QB. And finally, if DM doesn't start recruiting better AND find a better answer at QB soon, he really will, in fact, be headed for some very choppy water.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I have seen enough of FF to believe that he will never outgrow his "immaturity"- and actually become a championship contender type QB. And although I think the stuff about giving up on DM after an 11-3 start is premature to say the least, I AM DEFINITELY READY to look in a new direction at QB. And finally, if DM doesn't start recruiting better AND find a better answer at QB soon, he really will, in fact, be headed for some very choppy water.

Agree here on EJ. He should get clost to a full half vs. both cupcakes, but I'm not sure about Kentucky. Trask probably gets at least a series in each game. I hope we come out and get score on our first 4 or 5 possessions and Mullen sits Franks before the end of the 2nd quarter....but after the way he played vs. Miami he may play him into the 3rd (especially if we fail to execute in the first half). Our D is going to eat up both of these teams, so we should see a lot more than 54 offensive snaps.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
got a lot of film to show this morning to blast the players for poor plays, and hopefully keep them humble.

UFHealth, how does that work? Will they harp on that film for that extra week? That was an ideal teaching game, because each Gator seem to face a strong-worthy opposing force.?? In such film study do successful plays get studied?

I forgot how “exciting” it can be when @Swamp Donkey is butt hurt and on the war path. Gonna be a long 3 weeks until Kentucky! I just pray we don’t lose that one again. Can you imagine how he’ll be? Might have to send someone to his house to check his health and well being...

Or incarcerate him in Epstein's cell under sillycide watch.

I didn’t either. Tackling was disappointing. PIs and PFs were disappointing, especially late. I had really hoped 3rd and Grantham would be mitigated by a second year in his system but alas, it seems even worse. Thankfully, we get an extra week plus a cupcake to prepare for Kentucky and the SEC slate. Most is correctable, even though it’s disappointing that it reared it’s ugly head in the first place.

Franks sure reared his head.... in front of national TV audience. He seems to learn only by assmosis.

Our running game suffers because of Franks - you can't act like he has nothing to do with the run game. In this offense, the threat of a QB to run is everything.

Okay, who's feeding ox his inside information? FF's run attack determines how much better all the other parts will be.

................................................................................................................................................

Now, to talk hinting at best Gator fan, long time worship.... =

The most important Saturday in many young men'a lives. 20 of us taking the National test that determines if we qualify for entry into a dental college. Our "woke" proctor right off took a vote ... "How many want to work through breaks, skip lunch-break so we can make it to the 4th quarter of UF vs LSU (with Spurrier quarterbacking)?" We all won all way around. --- every one of those professionally-minded young men raised his hand. When time came 20 fans hit that exit like jam-packed lemmings. It was a mass stampede to the Swamp .... Got to be equivalent stories across-the-board from GC faithful as testimony to top-notch love of our Gator teams. Those should be rally-points of our through-the-years bonding us as unified.

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Several of us were saying that. I’m not sure where the idea that their talent was way behind us came from. I think some folks convinced themselves that because this was an ACC team with a new QB and suspect OTs, we’d nuke them. Didn’t align with reality.

Guilty as charged. I'll try to do better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.