Can someone explain what is going on in this apparent shooting video?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gator Fever, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,978
    Ratings:
    +6,009 / -111
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018...shooting-afghanistan-battlefield-video-276534

U.S. commanders have launched an investigation into video footage that appears to show an American service member firing into the cab of a civilian truck as the two vehicles pass on a road in Afghanistan, an action that could have violated the military’s rules of engagement and may hamper the alliance with the Afghan government.

"The amateur video posted on a public website gives us serious concern," the U.S. Central Command told POLITICO in a statement. "The video in question is not official, not authorized and does not represent the professionalism of the service members of U.S. Central Command.

The clip in question shows a military vehicle approaching a truck with a white cab and black cargo cabin, of the type Afghans often call “Jingle trucks.” Military sources identified the first vehicle to POLITICO as a version of the M-ATV armored vehicle specially outfitted for special operations forces...

The armored vehicle appears to continue on its way. It is not clear from the footage whether the driver was harmed. No recoil indicating the firing of the shotgun is clearly visible in the footage, nor is a shell or casing seen exiting the weapon.
    -------------------------------------------------------

What the heck is this video showing in reality? There doesn't appear to be anything showing that weapon was actually fired but it appears you can see the driver of the truck start to lower his head and the shattering of the glass seems to match up with that particular weapon passing that truck. He doesn't even appear to be holding it like he is about to fire and you can't see anyone where that hatch is opened behind him.

2. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey TaggelwainLivesMatter
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $20,766
    Ratings:
    +45,019 / -1,598
    I cant tell exactly what that is. It looks like a Benelli but it has no rail on the top. Maybe some were delivered that way. It is an semiauto shotgun and you can see that no brass ejects and in fact the charging handle on the side doesn't move which it would do if even a nonlethal or similar was fired.

At first guess I'd say that there is no chance that shotgun fired. The man also seems to duck before whatever happens, maybe just because he sees those guns covering him. The next thing I note is the glass appears to fall inward, so my best guess is it's not a shot fired from within (over the ducking guy) and at the soldiers. (I'm not sure about that. That area of the vehicle is pressurized (think of when you crack your window) and maybe the pressure would suck it in regardless.

One second glance maybe the charging handle does move slightly, suggesting a nonlethal. It's hard to see at that resolution and without going slower than my youtube window will allow. If it were a nonlethal, they have much less velocity and can usually be seen flying through the air.

#2 Swamp Donkey, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018