Captain's Cogitations - LSU

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The Cogitations are back! I had to take a bye week last week because we were moving and I hardly got to watch any of the MSU game, but the show returns! :captain:

What a day, what a win! Everything was perfect about that game day yesterday. Between the good people at the tailgate, the flyover, Tebow's ceremony, honoring the '08 team, and a classic UF-LSU game to top it all off, that was one of my favorite games I've ever been to in the Swamp. My ears are still ringing this morning and my voice is hoarse, this is the way it should always be!

Now onto the brass tacks. Franks once again had a vintage performance where we weren't quite sure what he was going to do from play to play. He dropped a couple dimes in there and had a couple head scratchers, but he did what he had to do to win the game. I still think he's doing a great job considering the OL situation, and that throwaway he had when a guy was hanging all over him might have been his most impressive play of the day. I couldn't quite tell what happened on the interception, but it looked like there was some miscommunication between he and Stephens. It was almost like he thought Stephens was going to continue his seam route, but he broke it off. I'd have to see a replay of the play to get a better idea, but it definitely wasn't just a case of an inaccurate throw. His throw of the day was obviously the corner route he hit Hammond on right before half. Stepped up in the pocket, had some pressure on all sides, and dropped a perfect ball right into the recevier's hands. If he can keep building off plays like that, we might have an honest to goodness QB on our hands.

Play calling wise, I was loving the creativity, but I was also scratching my head on a couple of our short yardage plays. There was the one 3rd & 1 where we called a keeper for Franks when Scarlett had been running the ball well, and we got stuffed. There was the 3rd & 2 where we had Jefferson on the short crosser and he didn't run his route across the sticks (although that's not as much of a play call issue than it is an execution issue). And then there was the downfield pass he called on 2nd down when we were trying to run the clock. I don't mind the pass there, but make it something that has a greater probability of success than a throw that has to travel 30 yards across the field for a 10 yard gain. But the throwback from Krull, the rocker step from Franks, the jet sweep to Toney, and that nifty speed option we also ran against MSU were all fantastic calls. We're starting to see Mullen get comfortable calling some of those gadget plays he's famous for, but I'd like to see him call some more reliable plays in short yardage situations.

Defensively, it's clear that whatever was ailing us against UK is gone. LSU came out with the up tempo and caught our guys off guard early, but that sack fumble by Polite got LSU out of their comfort zone and they never really got back in it. I'd obviously like to see them not give up two gashes on a 4th quarter drive when we're protecting a lead, but they made up for that in a big way once they got back on the field after that. Stewart's pick six was one of the loudest moments I've ever experienced in my 9 years going to games in the Swamp, right up there with the opening play TD against Bama in '11 and the miracle plays against UT in '15 and '17. Polite and Zuniga continue to be absolute terrors in the pass rush, and it's clear that opposing offenses sure as hell better do whatever they can to stay out of obvious passing situations. It's been astonishing to see the improvement by this unit over the last few weeks. The UK game was a wakeup call, and they answered the bell. I remember saying in the UK Cogitations that our defense woke up and played lights out after struggling against UT in '15, and it seems as if the same thing happened again this year.

All in all, it's great to see this team buying into Mullen's philosophies so quickly. I, like most of you, was not thrilled with the hire when it was made, but he's won me over in a big way. You don't see a head coach in a close game in the 4th quarter jumping around the field pumping up the crowd during a timeout. The entire crowd was going apesh*t from that moment forward. It's quite obvious that UF was his dream job, and he probably should have been here a long time ago. This is a coach who knows the crowd, knows the town, and even though it didn't feel like it 11 months ago, was the perfect man for the job.

Sleepy noon start at Vandy next week, so if you're able to get to Nashville and turn it into the Swamp North, get your butts in those seats to pump our guys up! Till next week!

:chomp:

Last edited:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It feels good to be relevant....

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I wish they would add more of that option play in. We gashed LSU each time with it. Perine seems to thrive on that play too.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We still have a lot of growth to go on offense, but they do seem to figure out some new wrinkle each game. Hopefully it all comes together by the UGA game, cause fck Georgia!
Defense, though lacking some depth, is really stepping up and doing what it takes at the end of the day...just have to get the offense to pull a little more of their own weight.

We aren't out ofnthe SEC east race, who woulda thought that by this time of year.
If we can pull an upset on UGA and UGA beat UK, things look good.

One game at a time though.
This team is fun to watch again!!!!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good stuff Cap'n. One question...does @Swamp Queen shave your back or is there a salon in Tampa that provides this service? Asking for a friend whose wife has declined to help :(

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
The Cogitations are back! I had to take a bye week last week because we were moving and I hardly got to watch any of the MSU game, but the show returns! :captain:

What a day, what a win! Everything was perfect about that game day yesterday. Between the good people at the tailgate, the flyover, Tebow's ceremony, honoring the '08 team, and a classic UF-LSU game to top it all off, that was one of my favorite games I've ever been to in the Swamp. My ears are still ringing this morning and my voice is hoarse, this is the way it should always be!

Now onto the brass tacks. Franks once again had a vintage performance where we weren't quite sure what he was going to do from play to play. He dropped a couple dimes in there and had a couple head scratchers, but he did what he had to do to win the game. I still think he's doing a great job considering the OL situation, and that throwaway he had when a guy was hanging all over him might have been his most impressive play of the day. I couldn't quite tell what happened on the interception, but it looked like there was some miscommunication between he and Stephens. It was almost like he thought Stephens was going to continue his seam route, but he broke it off. I'd have to see a replay of the play to get a better idea, but it definitely wasn't just a case of an inaccurate throw. His throw of the day was obviously the corner route he hit Hammond on right before half. Stepped up in the pocket, had some pressure on all sides, and dropped a perfect ball right into the recevier's hands. If he can keep building off plays like that, we might have an honest to goodness QB on our hands.

Play calling wise, I was loving the creativity, but I was also scratching my head on a couple of our short yardage plays. There was the one 3rd & 1 where we called a keeper for Franks when Scarlett had been running the ball well, and we got stuffed. There was the 3rd & 2 where we had Jefferson on the short crosser and he didn't run his route across the sticks (although that's not as much of a play call issue than it is an execution issue). And then there was the downfield pass he called on 2nd down when we were trying to run the clock. I don't mind the pass there, but make it something that has a greater probability of success than a throw that has to travel 30 yards across the field for a 10 yard gain. But the throwback from Krull, the rocker step from Franks, the jet sweep to Toney, and that nifty speed option we also ran against MSU were all fantastic calls. We're starting to see Mullen get comfortable calling some of those gadget plays he's famous for, but I'd like to see him call some more reliable plays in short yardage situations.

Defensively, it's clear that whatever was ailing us against UK is gone. LSU came out with the up tempo and caught our guys off guard early, but that sack fumble by Polite got LSU out of their comfort zone and they never really got back in it. I'd obviously like to see them not give up two gashes on a 4th quarter drive when we're protecting a lead, but they made up for that in a big way once they got back on the field after that. Stewart's pick six was one of the loudest moments I've ever experienced in my 9 years going to games in the Swamp, right up there with the opening play TD against Bama in '11 and the miracle plays against UT in '15 and '17. Polite and Zuniga continue to be absolute terrors in the pass rush, and it's clear that opposing offenses sure as hell better do whatever they can to stay out of obvious passing situations. It's been astonishing to see the improvement by this unit over the last few weeks. The UK game was a wakeup call, and they answered the bell. I remember saying in the UK Cogitations that our defense woke up and played lights out after struggling against UT in '15, and it seems as if the same thing happened again this year.

All in all, it's great to see this team buying into Mullen's philosophies so quickly. I, like most of you, was not thrilled with the hire when it was made, but he's won me over in a big way. You don't see a head coach in a close game in the 4th quarter jumping around the field pumping up the crowd during a timeout. The entire crowd was going apesh*t from that moment forward. It's quite obvious that UF was his dream job, and he probably should have been here a long time ago. This is a coach who knows the crowd, knows the town, and even though it didn't feel like it 11 months ago, was the perfect man for the job.

Sleepy noon start at Vandy next week, so if you're able to get to Nashville and turn it into the Swamp North, get your butts in those seats to pump our guys up! Till next week!

:chomp:
Well done.

Oct 5, 2014

Franks' interception was definitely an inaccurate throw. He simply threw it three feet over the head of the intended receiver.:chomp:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good stuff Cap'n. One question...does @Swamp Queen shave your back or is there a salon in Tampa that provides this service? Asking for a friend whose wife has declined to help :(
There are shavers that have an extension handle for such duties. Git R Dun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.