Captain's Cogitations - Tennessee

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Death, taxes, and Florida beating Tennessee.

Well we beat Tennessee (again), but that sure as hell didn't feel like beating Tennessee. What happened to them? Even in other years when they were bad, they could at least compete and make the game interesting. That felt like we were playing some garbage Sun Belt or Mountain West team out there yesterday. I'm not complaining or anything, but MAN they are bad. Staggeringly bad. To put it into perspective, since Dan Mullen was hired, we've played 8 SEC East games. We've had a double digit deficit in 6 of those games, going 3-3. The only 2 games we didn't trail by double digits? Both Tennessee games. :lol:

Anyway, Kyle Trask had himself a nice little game. He looked poised and confident with what he was doing most of the day, and got that first start in 7 years under his belt with an easy win. It's very apparent that he doesn't have the arm strength Franks has (and it's not even close), but he has great touch on his passes and was pretty accurate all day. The two interceptions were a little troubling, since both were badly underthrown balls into coverage, but I trust Mullen to get that fixed. He wasn't making bad reads, he just believed in his abilities a little too much on those throws. If you're going to throw it into coverage, at least miss long, not short. It really seems like he has chemistry with Pitts, which he's going to need if he wants to continue to put up good numbers against better opponents. Having a reliable pass-catching tight end makes a world of difference.

The biggest takeaway for me from yesterday was the running game (or lack thereof). I just don't know what we're going to do when we play teams with monster fronts like Auburn and UGA. Sure, we'll be able to throw the ball around the yard a bit, but at some point, we're going to have to lean on our running game. And with Trask in there, it's almost non-existent. Jones did a good job on the read options and we hit a few gashes as a result, but every DC the rest of the way is going to know that #5 at QB means the read option or designed QB run is coming unless we mix it up more. Mullen knows this, so I'm hoping that if he continues to rotate Jones in there, he starts letting him throw a few passes. In '06, everyone thought Tebow was just the battering ram until the LSU game when they learned he can actually throw the ball, too. So maybe we'll end up with a similar dynamic to what Leak and Tebow had in '06 moving forward.

I really liked what I saw from our undermanned defense yesterday. They've quietly gone about their business and haven't given up a touchdown in the Swamp yet. We're finally starting to see some of the same ball hawking we saw from them last year, with 8 turnovers forced in the last two games. I can't say enough about how huge the Greenard transfer pickup was. He's been arguably our best player on defense this year. Really hoping our guys can get healthy before Auburn, though. We'll need Henderson and Zuniga for that one.

Next week is a bit of a fun matchup for me. Towson is a former Patriot League team and opponent of Lehigh, and I got in during garbage time against them my freshman year (the only time we played them, as they left the league the following year). So now I can say I'm one degree of separation away from a team that's playing in the Swamp. :lol: They're actually a VERY good FCS team with an explosive offense, so I'd expect to see them put up some points against our backups in the 2nd half. No worries, though, it should be a drama free afternoon and one last tuneup before the meat and potatoes of the schedule begins.

4-0!

:chomp:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, our lack of a running game is gonna be our downfall this year. Not looking forward to the DLs we’ll face next month.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, our lack of a running game is gonna be our downfall this year. Not looking forward to the DLs we’ll face next month.

I'm not sure if it's the running game that will be our downfall or Mullen's stubborn loyalty to the run game that will be the downfall. I enjoyed the game, but I would have enjoyed it so much more if Trask didn't run up the middle on 4th and 2. :headslap:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's interesting how the feel of the game is different with Trask as QB, but the overall results were the same. If Franks had played, he probably would have finished with a little shy 300 yards and 3 turnovers, and the score probably would have been the same, but the game was more enjoyable to watch with Trask at the helm.

The big differences are: 1) Trask has a quicker release and makes quicker reads so he just looks better, 2) we all know he doesn't have anywhere close the amount of experience as Franks so we're willing to cut him some slack, and 3) Trask is more mature. It's easier to support a guy who is humble and stays focused on the game instead of what's going on in the stands.

Last edited:

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
we all know he doesn't have anywhere close the amount of experience as Franks so we're willing to cut him some slack

I think Trask has a bigger upside than Franks. The question is will one more practice game be sufficient to prepare Trask to face great SEC defenses? I don't think so. We probably face a couple of losses in the next month. However, I think by the end of the season (if Trask manages to stay healthy) we will be a great team.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Death, taxes, and Florida beating Tennessee.

Well we beat Tennessee (again), but that sure as hell didn't feel like beating Tennessee. What happened to them? Even in other years when they were bad, they could at least compete and make the game interesting. That felt like we were playing some garbage Sun Belt or Mountain West team out there yesterday. I'm not complaining or anything, but MAN they are bad. Staggeringly bad. To put it into perspective, since Dan Mullen was hired, we've played 8 SEC East games. We've had a double digit deficit in 6 of those games, going 3-3. The only 2 games we didn't trail by double digits? Both Tennessee games. :lol:

Anyway, Kyle Trask had himself a nice little game. He looked poised and confident with what he was doing most of the day, and got that first start in 7 years under his belt with an easy win. It's very apparent that he doesn't have the arm strength Franks has (and it's not even close), but he has great touch on his passes and was pretty accurate all day. The two interceptions were a little troubling, since both were badly underthrown balls into coverage, but I trust Mullen to get that fixed. He wasn't making bad reads, he just believed in his abilities a little too much on those throws. If you're going to throw it into coverage, at least miss long, not short. It really seems like he has chemistry with Pitts, which he's going to need if he wants to continue to put up good numbers against better opponents. Having a reliable pass-catching tight end makes a world of difference.

The biggest takeaway for me from yesterday was the running game (or lack thereof). I just don't know what we're going to do when we play teams with monster fronts like Auburn and UGA. Sure, we'll be able to throw the ball around the yard a bit, but at some point, we're going to have to lean on our running game. And with Trask in there, it's almost non-existent. Jones did a good job on the read options and we hit a few gashes as a result, but every DC the rest of the way is going to know that #5 at QB means the read option or designed QB run is coming unless we mix it up more. Mullen knows this, so I'm hoping that if he continues to rotate Jones in there, he starts letting him throw a few passes. In '06, everyone thought Tebow was just the battering ram until the LSU game when they learned he can actually throw the ball, too. So maybe we'll end up with a similar dynamic to what Leak and Tebow had in '06 moving forward.

I really liked what I saw from our undermanned defense yesterday. They've quietly gone about their business and haven't given up a touchdown in the Swamp yet. We're finally starting to see some of the same ball hawking we saw from them last year, with 8 turnovers forced in the last two games. I can't say enough about how huge the Greenard transfer pickup was. He's been arguably our best player on defense this year. Really hoping our guys can get healthy before Auburn, though. We'll need Henderson and Zuniga for that one.

Next week is a bit of a fun matchup for me. Towson is a former Patriot League team and opponent of Lehigh, and I got in during garbage time against them my freshman year (the only time we played them, as they left the league the following year). So now I can say I'm one degree of separation away from a team that's playing in the Swamp. :lol: They're actually a VERY good FCS team with an explosive offense, so I'd expect to see them put up some points against our backups in the 2nd half. No worries, though, it should be a drama free afternoon and one last tuneup before the meat and potatoes of the schedule begins.

4-0!

:chomp:
Great write up as always Sas.
I had two thoughts exactly like yours. The first was wtf has happened to Tennessee? I was thinking MAC as opposed to Sun Belt or MWC, but it’s pretty much the same thing. Our D is looking solid, but not so good as to do that to a competent SEC team. They look much worse than last season and you can’t say it’s just the players. Having to use a time-out right after coming out of a break? That’s just inexcusable at this level. Looking at their schedule they may realistically only win one more game and go 0-8 in conference play. I was talking to a good friend yesterday who is a life long Vols fan. He told me he was only half way joking when he said at this point he’d take Kiffen back. My very first Gator game in person was a terrible beat down in Knoxville in SOS’s first season. It’s amazing to see how far they have fallen from those days.
The second thought was I too am very impressed at Greenard’s play. I don’t claim to know anywhere near what you and some others on this board know about football, but he looks like a great player who goes 100% on every play. By my count he had three tipped/batted passes, two TFL’s, and a forced fumble, in addition to being a general disruption to their offense. He looks like a guy who will be a force to be reckoned with for the rest of the season.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
The first interception was a bad read, from the snap the safety was drifting to the sideline covering over the top while the CB was playing underneath....there was no chance that pass gets completed. The second pick wasn’t quite as bad with a single high safety playing centerfield, And while he hit the WRs hands that ball can only be thrown outside from as far out as Trask was. If it were a shorter throw it’s a TD.

With all that said, Trask ended up with similar numbers as Franks would have had, the difference being Trasks throws were chunk yardage throws that gave his receiver a chance to make big plays, not as many sideways passes requiring the receiver to make 10 defenders miss and chase. It’s a more pleasing and IMO effective passing game. Hopefully he will learn from the few mistakes he made.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Easily Mullen’s worst called game. Red zone play calling needs to get light years better. I get not fearing Tennessee and trying to get the run game going and maybe Towson can get some of that confidence going. But trask is going to need to be a threat in that aspect if it’s ever going to work well with him in. Thought maybe against U.K. where he optioned it late was a sign of the future but we haven’t seen it again since then.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Being at the game I was looking for drives and scores, and not analyzing each play - definitely a fun game to watch. Looking again at the highlight reels I see how Mullen successfully changed the passing tactic with Trask, he continually gutted the Vols with downfield shots usually towards the center of the field covering 1st down yardage most of the time. TN couldn't cover our receivers slanting across the middle 10+ yards downfield and it resulted in some quick drives and an easy win. By the time we got to our seats it was already 7-0.

But we've got O-line problems bigtime as the running game was a bust. Mullen trying time after time to send Perine into the line and it was a wasted play every time, until EJ got in there much later. Hard to tell if our run success then was a schematic difference or TN was just ready to get on the bus. In the 4th qtr it was plain to see that the Vols had enough of this game and were ready to hit the showers.

Hevesy has a LOT of work to do to get this line competitive in the next couple of weeks. Aubie looked pretty tough against the fighting Jimbos yesterday.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Easily Mullen’s worst called game. Red zone play calling needs to get light years better. I get not fearing Tennessee and trying to get the run game going and maybe Towson can get some of that confidence going. But trask is going to need to be a threat in that aspect if it’s ever going to work well with him in. Thought maybe against U.K. where he optioned it late was a sign of the future but we haven’t seen it again since then.
I gave you a like despite the new avatar. On the other hand, the defense hasn’t given up a TD at home after 2 games, maybe TG deserves a little love (though not from me).

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
We have some tough times ahead for sure. But I feel better having a passing QB since our run game is basically non existent.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I think Trask has a bigger upside than Franks. The question is will one more practice game be sufficient to prepare Trask to face great SEC defenses? I don't think so. We probably face a couple of losses in the next month. However, I think by the end of the season (if Trask manages to stay healthy) we will be a great team.
We will almost certainly face a couple of losses this season, quite possibly three - whether Trask is really ready and continues to play well or not. The corndogs and the dwags are the measuring stick, but AUB & Mizz are almost as dangerous for us. I'm moderately hopeful for the prospects for a successful 2019 season, which I define as a win over at least one of LSU/UGA and ten wins overall in the regular season. Win a decent bowl game and that's a good year at this point. I know, I'm not asking for much.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We beat their ass for sure. We can't run the ball. Trask is highly accurate. We won't know anything about this team until we play Auburn who has two decent wins in Oregon and A&M.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
We beat their ass for sure. We can't run the ball. Trask is highly accurate. We won't know anything about this team until we play Auburn who has two decent wins in Oregon and A&M.
Good news for us is those wins are simply decent and not great. But it gives us an opportunity for a prime time national showdown at home.

Really need to beat the breaks off an auburn team that’s still fairly mediocre. Just take a peak at their stat line against AM

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I’m still blown away at how bad Tennessee has become. We literally worked on our weaknesses against them early in the game as if they were Central Michigan with zero worry that they could beat us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator