CBS asks Mullen and Meyer - Who’s the best QB?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to argue with that. Tim was an absolute beast as a college QB.

destingator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I gotta say, it felt good to see all 3 of this dudes "together" again. Always brings back some great memories.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That was a simple question and the greatest game day coach did not hesitate.
He isn't the greatest game day coach. Not even close. He struggled when his X's werent better than your O's. His playcalling wasn't particularly good and usually predictable. You knew Percy was getting the ball when he came on the field. You knew Tebow was running Q power on 3rd or 4th and short. YOU JUST COULDN'T STOP THEM.

He was the best at preparing IMO. The best at getting all the details right (well, he and Saban). The best special teams coach in history, with no other arguable competition. One of the best recruiters and the best at putting together a staff. Once he got to a program that would give him a level playing field with Saban, he kept pace.

Saban isn't a great playcaller or gameday coach either. You can't lose to Malzahn with 1/3 of the talent several times and be a great gameday coach.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
College football coaches by and large are not great game day coaches. The great ones tend to win through great preparation.

I’m not sure, though, how you top what Saban did at halftime against Georgia in the 2018 national championship. He sat Jalen Hurd for a relatively untested freshman. The rest is history.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
College football coaches by and large are not great game day coaches. The great ones tend to win through great preparation.

I’m not sure, though, how you top what Saban did at halftime against Georgia in the 2018 national championship. He sat Jalen Hurd for a relatively untested freshman. The rest is history.

When you’re down 13-0, and your QB is 3 of 8 for 21 yards, it kind of makes your decision for you. Bold, sure. But Tua was going in at some point. He just ramped up the entry.

Spurrier swapping a “hurt” DW for Kresser, for a bomb against Ala in ‘94, or the rotation in ‘97 are better game day Xs and Os, imo.

I agree with Law. As I’ve said before, Meyer and Saban are the type that stay up all night all week preparing for the final and obviously crush it. Spurrier rolls out of bed after a night of drinking and aces things in his own way.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not sure, though, how you top what Saban did at halftime against Georgia in the 2018 national championship. He sat Jalen Hurd for a relatively untested freshman.
That was a very surprising move by Saban.

Of course, it was also basically a forced hand.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When you’re down 13-0, and your QB is 3 of 8 for 21 yards, it kind of makes your decision for you. Bold, sure. But Tua was going in at some point. He just ramped up the entry.

Spurrier swapping a “hurt” DW for Kresser, for a bomb against Ala in ‘94, or the rotation in ‘97 are better game day Xs and Os, imo.

I agree with Law. As I’ve said before, Meyer and Saban are the type that stay up all night all week preparing for the final and obviously crush it. Spurrier rolls out of bed after a night of drinking and aces things in his own way.
I agree with every bit of this. SOS was a genius at adjusting on the fly. He had too because he wasn't a prepared type guy.

He had plenty of flaws too. Didn't much like recruiting. Was completely hands off with the defense, generally didn't hire well at DC, and allowed his DCs to lose way too many damn games. Did STs exist under SOS? I don't really remember.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I still can't believe we watched our Dynasty slip away in 09 that 4 year run was epic 2 national titles and should of had a 3rd if Percy was not forced to enter draft because of his "problem"

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jacquez Green, Lito Shepherd, Bo Carroll, Keiwan Ratliff, Jeff Chandler, and Judd Davis would say yes.
So.... I don't know that it was good STs. Spurrier just attracted those great athletes who could return kicks. We never blocked kicks or had any superior ST plans.

It seemed like you could just FEEL that UM was going to change the game with STs, blocked kicks at all the right times. Totally different level.

Just as SOS offense was on a different level than UM.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So.... I don't know that it was good STs. Spurrier just attracted those great athletes who could return kicks. We never blocked kicks or had any superior ST plans.

It seemed like you could just FEEL that UM was going to change the game with STs, blocked kicks at all the right times. Totally different level.

Just as SOS offense was on a different level than UM.

For sure. I think Meyer is the greatest special teams coach ever. His attention to detail and preparation was the best by far.

Spurrier just needed great punt returners. He never wanted to rely on a kicker to win a game. Even though he had a great one in Chandler.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Jacquez Green, Lito Shepherd, Bo Carroll, Keiwan Ratliff, Jeff Chandler, and Judd Davis would say yes.

Sam McCorkle is livid at being left off your list, J.

But yes, Spurrier had some really good ST's. Outside of JG and the others just being ridiculous athletes on returns, I think the best years may have been '94 and '95. Believe it or not, when given that one assignment, Zook wasn't too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb