CENSORED BY OTHER BOARDS: A recruiting story that should make you all warm and cozy

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
*Admin note: This story has been deleted on Swamp Gas and locked on 247, all because they worry their nonexistent access will be cut off.*

On the inside, but only for a few seconds until you realize that your insides are really on fire and engulfed in a fire ball of hell and you have tops 10 seconds to live. And right as you're about to pass out from the pain and accept your fate Jim macelwain walks up and takes a **** on your face and tells you it's perttyyyy kewl huh?

Anyways, this is from rivals.

I certainly don’t consider myself an insider in any form of the word, but I have become very good friends with a HS football coach here in FL who from time to time gives me some good inside knowledge of different programs from around the State based on his experience. Was at this coach’s house yesterday and for the first time I flat out asked him, “What do you think of Coach Mac?” He smiled and told me the following story. (I apologize for the lengthy write-up)

This coach is fortunate enough to have a stud QB at his school. The QB is a sophomore this season so recruiting is really starting to pick up. Over summer, the QB got a call from Alabama they told him they were very interested in him and wanted him to come up for a camp. Of course, he said yes. When he arrived, he was greeted at his car by a Bama GA in a golf cart who took him directly to the IPF. There, he was greeted by Lane and proceeded to stretch/warm up for about 30 minutes with Lane talking to him the whole time. He was with a handful of other athletes at this time. After warm ups, him and Lane walked out of the IPF and to another practice field where he threw specifically for Lane. No other QBs were there. After about 30 mins of this, Saban walked up and watched the QB throw and started talking to him. He then invited this kid to his office where they spent the next 2-3 hours chatting one-on-one. Saban said this kid was his #1 target for class of 2019 but that he typically does not offer sophomores and therefore wanted to wait a little bit a see more film out of him. Saban told him that if he continued on the path he was on, he would be getting a Bama offer in the not so distant future.

Fast forward about a week and the QB gets a call from UF (not sure which coach). UF asks him to come up for a camp. The QB agrees but his family is not in town to take him so he asks his coach (my friend) if he would drive him up there, which he of course does. One thing to mention is that my buddy is pretty good friends with Geoff Collins and with our S&C coach due to past relationships. So when they get to UF, they park at the IPF and call the number they were given to call. No answer. They then try to call Coach Collins. No answer. They try for a few minutes and get no response. So they decide just to walk into the IPF. When they walk in there are hundreds of “little” kids camping there. They find Coach Collins and he immediately begins to apologize to them that they forgot they had a youth camp there that weekend and it was crazy. (As a side not, personally I think it’s great that we are holding these youth camps, just not sure that you want to invite a stud QB to the campus on the same weekend.) So after talking for a few minutes with Coach Collins, he tells them to walk over to the stadium, speak with Megan (I think that was the name he said) at the desk and tell her that Coach Collins said you should be given a tour of the facilities. So they do just that. When they find Megan, they tell her what Coach Collins told them. She looks at the list that she has in front of her and says that Coach Collins didn’t put you on the list so I can’t let you in. So disappointed, they ask if they can at least see the weight room as my buddy is interested in seeing if he can find the S&C coach. They are taken to the weight room, find the S&C coach and as they are talking to them a GA walks up and tells them that they need to register for the camp. He tells them that they need to go back upstairs, fill out the registration form and pay the $40 fee. The QB says that he has no money on him. So my buddy ends up paying for him. They then tell the QB that they need his physical to take part in the camp. Well, he doesn’t have one with him. They try to explain that they were invited by the coaching staff personally and weren’t told to bring anything, but they say that he must have one. So my buddy has to drive this QB to the nearest walk-in clinic and get him a physical. Finally, they are registered.

They go back to the IPF and someone tells them that all campers have to do 30 mins of conditioning prior to throwing. The QB says that he really wasn’t prepared to condition for 30 mins and that he thought he was just there to throw a few balls. The GA gets Coach Nuss to come over and introduces him to the QB. Nuss says that everyone has to condition. So the QB conditions. Then Nuss separates the campers and the QB is placed with the freshman and sophomore group. Now mind you, this QB is already a grown man. And now he is throwing with a bunch of “average” freshman and sophomore HS QBs who he towers over by about a foot and he is throwing to a bunch of 5’6” freshman WRs. The QB asks if he could be put in the group with the juniors and seniors. Nuss says no. A few minutes later Coach Mac walks over and says “Are you the (insert last name) boy?” The QB says yes and Mac asks him why he is throwing with the little kids. The QB said he has no idea. Apparently Nuss had no idea who he was or he didn’t seem to care too much. Now again, it would be pretty easy to recognize that this kid is no normal 16 year old. Coach Mac brings him over with the bigger kids and watches him throw a bit. At one point he pulls him over to the side with him, my buddy and Coach Nuss and begins to tell him that he spoke with Saban and Saban thinks very highly of this kid as a QB. And he says that Florida is very much interested in him as well. Nuss steps in and says something to the effect of “well, we really don’t know that much about you so we are still trying to gather a bunch of information.” My buddy said Mac was standing behind Nuss and looked pissed as hell when he said that. Anyway, the day goes on without much else to report.

At the end of the story, my buddy tells me that on the drive to UF that day, out of the blue the QB says that if UF offers today he was going to accept it because the QB wants to play in the SEC and wants to stay in-State. He has had a couple of siblings who went off to play different sports far away from home and it hasn’t always worked out that well or been easy on the family. My buddy is surprised by this comment, but doesn’t say much to try to change his mind. Well when the QB leaves he says, “I don’t care if UF ever offers me, I’m never going there!” He said that it was the worst camping experience he has ever been on and was absolutely miserable the whole time.

On a side note, one of this kids’ first offers was from UCF. I asked my buddy what he and the boy thought about Frost and he said they are both blown away by him. The QB even said that he would seriously consider committing to UCF is it wasn’t for the fact that he knows that Frost will be gone in the next few years.

My buddy said that he actually thinks that Mac is a good guy and could be a good recruiter but there it is very obvious that there is a serious disconnect between Mac and some of the other coaches. He said that until they get stuff straightened out and all are working on the same page, it will be tough for them to pull the elite talent especially when going against a well-oiled machine like Alabama.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Slevin, thanks for the story. I'm sure a lot of recruits are greeted w/ this clusterf*ck experience.

What I don't get is that Nuss, McElwain, Rumph and some of the support staff all worked for Saban and combined have 20+ years of time spent under Saban at Bama. Why are they not doing what Bama does? It's a complete sh*tshow down there. They are clueless.

This story should be printed and sent to McElwain's office. Until these types of stories get out there nothing will be done to fix the problem. But who am I kidding? This staff will be gone 12 months from now, if not sooner.

Last edited:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We hope this staff is gone in a year, but Stricklin's balls might be in Foley's mouth.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
If true, wow. Unless Mac cleans that up by next week, he needs to go.

Nuss seems to think highly of himself to hit the pause button on his boss. He should leave yesterday.

Maybe Frost should be on Stricklin's speed dial?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
If true (big if, but not unrealistic at all), we really need to just fire the whole staff now. You can say Mac isn't the issue, but it all starts up top. Damn shame.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Wow, this would be complete managerial incompetence and lack of any type of quality control or oversight. Stunned at the lack of accommodation that was made. But then, UF is bureaucratic heaven..where the inmates run the asylum.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Wow, this would be complete managerial incompetence and lack of any type of quality control or oversight. Stunned at the lack of accommodation that was made. But then, UF is bureaucratic heaven..where the inmates run the asylum.
Yep. Make sense with why top guys don't come here. They visit and it's a cluster**** and it turns them off on the experience.

Also, recall the recruitments of Ivey and Cece. Even they said Mac and crew went cold on them. They were too "casual".

It's an embarrassment and an indictment on where this is headed. Mac needs to make changes yesterday. But he hasn't and every day that passes makes it look less and less likely he will.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ox needs to send Butter a complimentary membership to GC and attach Skinnyjean's recruiting story as a cover letter and CC Stricklin. While youre at it, remind Stricklin that we more than doubled his salary at MSU (1 mil) when we hired him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mac exudes cluelessness and carelessness. This doesnt surprise me in the slightest. But lets be real, Butter Donkey isnt going to be here in 2018.

It actually is good to hear. I'd rather hear that our coaches are just tools, than hear that the high school kids just consider our brand so damaged that they won't consider us. It's easy to fix one problem, much easier than fixing the brand (which undoubtedly has taken damage from Chimp and Butters).

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
In addition to sending this article to Mac and AD, does anyone attend the Gator Club events? I think someone should ask Mac point-blank if the story is true and if the recruiting is that disorganized? It would explain the lack of success with big time recruits.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
In addition to sending this article to Mac and AD, does anyone attend the Gator Club events? I think someone should ask Mac point-blank if the story is true and if the recruiting is that disorganized? It would explain the lack of success with big time recruits.
Mac wouldn't answer the question directly, not a chance.

Mac just doesn't seem to have the tenacity to be a recruiter in this part of the country. I've said it before, I think he's perfectly capable as a coach, but his schtick doesn't resonate with Florida kids AT ALL. I'm guessing whatever Charlie Strong's approach is didn't work on Texas kids, either, which is why it's good for him that he's back in this state. Sometimes coaches just aren't a fit, and if this story is even mostly true, it's just awful and embarrassing.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
We all wonder what is lacking in this staffs recruiting methods. If this is true, I completely understand it now.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This wouldn't surprise me. Have y'all noticed how kids are very interested in us until they come in for a visit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.