Ceramic auto coatings, worth the cost?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Hmm. When I leased the BMW they offered ceramic for $300. Had I known it was that expensive on the outside I would have gone for it. In fact I often wish I had. My finish looks really good when it's waxed. But that doesn't last long. I get compliments from strangers all the time but I really think that it's the striking blue finish (like Brad's but better). It's just a 3 series but with the M package and blue finish it does look purty cool.
I don't have a garage - long story. I bought the house as a foreclosure with intents to turn it for a profit. One of the downsides of the 4000 sq ft is that 900 sq ft is the enclosed, finished and air conditioned three car garage. The previous owner had three boys so he used the garage as a work from home office and play room for kids. Anyway my first job was to reclaim the garage which I haven't done yet. So in the mean time the car sits outside all the time. Fortunately I don't live up north. Scraping sunshine off your windshield is a lot easier than scraping ice and snow off your windshield.

Off topic: If you own a pick-up and take it to the car wash then ur gay.
There's a BIG difference between the $300 "wash and spray with ceramic" and the $1500 "full treatment with clay bar", but not sure the $1500 is worth it. I did the expensive once with my Raptor. When I go out to Squirrel Ranch, it gets MUDDY, so I have to wash it (especially undercarriage) a lot. For about 3 months, it seemed like it was worth it, the mud did really come of the paint a lot easier. After that, no. I would consider buying the spray bottles and doing it myself, but, lazy. Water works. ;)

As for the part in bold: you must be talking about guys with mall crawlers for trucks and have no idea how long it takes one to get big mud off your driveway. ;)

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Hmm. When I leased the BMW they offered ceramic for $300. Had I known it was that expensive on the outside I would have gone for it.
Threat those prices included paint correction(swirl marks) and also some PPF on the front bumper/grille and A pillars...I'm sure you can get a straight up ceramic wax from a local detailer detail shop for a lot less....I'm sure I also got the "Shelby Tax" included in my quote just as a Corvette owner gets a "Corvette Tax" or very likely you will get a "Bimmer Tax"...:lol2:

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
Nitrogen is common in race tires for more consistent psi. Same theory for street, but not necessary or beneficial imho. I was at Daytona (road course) with psi display in the dash of a new street car. The air went from 32 psi to 40 in just 15-20 minutes. You don't slow as well entering a turn when that happens.

My experience with Nitrogen in tires has been in aviation. It's used in all jets and high flying turboprops to prevent any ice from forming in the tires from the extremely low temps - as it would with compressed air.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
True. Speaking of air psi, the recent cold weather sucks a lot of air out of vehicle tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator