Challenge: Find A Better Tenor

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alfie is great - here's another arrangement of the same song with 3 other Jean Valjeans, including the original Colm Wilkinson.

Thanks for reminding me about this performance, it’s one of my favorites!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alfie is great - here's another arrangement of the same song with 3 other Jean Valjeans, including the original Colm Wilkinson.

It’s a phenomenal show. I was lucky enough to see both the original London cast as well as the original Broadway cast. Unbelievable.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It’s a phenomenal show. I was lucky enough to see both the original London cast as well as the original Broadway cast. Unbelievable.
Ugh! Jealous! Other I wish I could have seen was the original Phantom cast. Still and will forever be my all time favorite.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
No, not talking just Opera. Freddy was great, I’m a fan. Post a video.

This video does a great job of explaining his range around :54

And - I didn't know this, but the opening five-part harmony of Bohemian Rhapsody is ALL Freddie's voice in the multi-track recording. The video covers this at around 6:18

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Probably the most moving version of that song I've ever heard...
Three things:

1. The modulation at 2:24 (as if he wasn't already singing high enough)
2. He sings (or includes) the "real" second verse, where most versions of this song just repeat the first verse.
3. The last note he held out to finish the song... :eek3:

Fantastic...

Mind_the_Gap

Aug 23, 2018
In the 1990's three operatic tenors, Jose Carreras, Placido Domingo, and Luciano Pavarotti joined their considerable talents as The Three Tenors to raise money to benefit the Leukemia foundation established by Carreras who himself survived the disease.

A Third of the Three Tenors, José Carreras Exits on His Terms

A Third of the Three Tenors, José Carreras Exits on His Terms

To many people whose knowledge of opera began and ended with the Three Tenors juggernaut, he was known, in the words of a memorable “Seinfeld” episode, as “the other guy”: the tenor who wasn’t Luciano Pavarotti or Plácido Domingo.

But to those who heard José Carreras in his prime, he was unforgettable in his own right, with a meltingly beautiful voice and movie-star looks. He was well on his way to operatic stardom before he was 30; inaugurated Franco Zeffirelli’s still-popular production of Puccini’s “La Bohème” at the Metropolitan Opera in 1981; and sold millions of recordings.

Then, at 40, he was stricken by leukemia, given long odds of survival and forced to undergo months of grueling treatment. He did not know if he would live, let alone sing again.

But he recovered, and his next act was remarkable. When Mr. Pavarotti and Mr. Domingo decided to salute his comeback — and the World Cup finals — by singing a concert with him at the Baths of Caracalla in Rome in 1990, the Three Tenors, a best-selling crossover phenomenon, was born. Since then Mr. Carreras has enjoyed a career mostly as a concert artist, while working with the Josep Carreras Leukemia Foundation, his first name given its original Catalan spelling.

The 2 hour Youtube video is a recording of The Tenors 1999 Christmas concert in Vienna.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

The New York Times called Enrico Caruso "the Babe Ruth of operatic tenors". 1916 recording. The only Christmas song he recorded. When I listen to music like this it makes me believe in God.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not a religious person, but O Holy Night has always been so moving to me.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Probably the most moving version of that song I've ever heard...
Three things:

1. The modulation at 2:24 (as if he wasn't already singing high enough)
2. He sings (or includes) the "real" second verse, where most versions of this song just repeat the first verse.
3. The last note he held out to finish the song... :eek3:

Fantastic...
Do you think he felt the Spirit or what?

And the Pianist. That’s completely overlooked but he was awesome as well.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Do you think he felt the Spirit or what?

And the Pianist. That’s completely overlooked but he was awesome as well.

Yes he felt it and judging by everyone else-
They did too.

And yes -
That pianist was ALL OVER about 87 of a possible 88 keys. :grin:
He was slaying the ivory’s

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members