Changes: Same Record as 2016, How are the Gators Better, Are they Worse in Any Areas?

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
2016 - Beat the leg humpers and went to the SECCG.
2016 wins.

Stats be dammed. Both seasons have crappy losses (Tennessee, Arkansas, and Alabama for 2016 and Kentucky, Missouri, and Georgia for 2018) but there is no way the vibe in 2016 compares to the vibe now.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We took about 8 steps forward on special teams, 6 steps forward on offense, and 3 steps backwards on defense. The problems on defense aren't Mullen's fault. That's the result from mac's poor recruiting.

That said, what is similar to 2016 is the concern for defensive recruiting. Mullen still has time to improve this, but time is limited and the needs are glaring.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The biggest change to me is just watching a team that looks well coached overall. Sure we have some players with poor technique and instincts, but what I'm talking about is just the system. Seems like guys actually know who is supposed to be on the field each play, what the snap count is, where they are supposed to line up and what their assignment is. Call it admin stuff I guess. We looked like a clown show under Butters. How many times did we snap the ball with more than a second or two left on the play clock while he was here? It took us that long every down to get everybody set and even then nobody seemed to know what they were doing.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Can't complain about the offense in year one considering Franks is the QB and limits the passing game.

Defense wasn't up to the usual standards.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Expectations:
2016 made it clear that Butters wasn't the answer.
2018 was the most fun season to watch in 10 years. And I'm hopeful that if Mullen gets recruiting figured out we can compete again.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We took about 8 steps forward on special teams, 6 steps forward on offense, and 3 steps backwards on defense. The problems on defense aren't Mullen's fault. That's the result from mac's poor recruiting.

That said, what is similar to 2016 is the concern for defensive recruiting. Mullen still has time to improve this, but time is limited and the needs are glaring.

It seemed like the special teams weren't that great when we played the non-cupcake teams but I haven't really looked at all the game breakdowns on that. We kind of did like Mullen did at Miss State and got most of the big plays/blocks etc. against the really weak teams. It seemed like under Meyer we were doing that stuff against the better teams also.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
It seemed like the special teams weren't that great when we played the non-cupcake teams but I haven't really looked at all the game breakdowns on that. We kind of did like Mullen did at Miss State and got most of the big plays/blocks etc. against the really weak teams. It seemed like under Meyer we were doing that stuff against the better teams also.

Special teams were huge under Meyer and the difference in key games.

You’re right with the big plays (fake punt vs. Vandy, big return vs. Colo St.) But I think the punting/field position game was important vs. MSU and LSU.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Pros
What he's done with Franks is a miracle. Same with the OL.
Special teams is back

Cons:

Recruiting is average for our standards

The run defense is #74.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pros
What he's done with Franks is a miracle. Same with the OL.
Special teams is back

Cons:

Recruiting is average for our standards

The run defense is #74.
That's a numbers view. Not inaccurate but not enough to paint the whole picture.

Team attitude, discipline and commitment are 180 degrees different and better, and we have a head coach who can make good in-game adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb