Changes: Same Record as 2016, How are the Gators Better, Are they Worse in Any Areas?

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
39d6292a562bc358da57988ab5e7d537.jpg

The Weinstien family album

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Special teams were huge under Meyer and the difference in key games.

You’re right with the big plays (fake punt vs. Vandy, big return vs. Colo St.) But I think the punting/field position game was important vs. MSU and LSU.

Although Vandy may be a "cupcake" by traditional standards, they had us down 18 points. That fake punt was a key play call.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

First Merry Christmas Traz. I hope you and your family are having a blessed Christmas.

Now regarding this post, I am accusing you of bias. Even when you give DM a compliment, it's a sideways, kind of icky compliment. For example, "astronomically better HC and playcaller than macnuss." I suspect the consensus on this board would be that just about anyone we hired would be an astronomically better HC and playcaller than macnuss. And really, you don't see better discipline on this team, better S&C, fewer injuries? Are we watching the same team?

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018

To be fair one of your very own examples, taven Bryan was very publicly disgusted with Mac's lack of a SandC program. The anonymous player who played for champ and mac literally blame the lack of Sand C for Grier's supplementation.

You're right. There isn't enough sample set yet but in short term Mullen has improved multiple aspects of the program especially the areas he had direct contact with namely the offense and if nothing else S and C simply by having one.

The defense lapses may very well be coaching but we were markedly thin at multiple positions and working primarily off of the other guy's leftovers. As much as people hate Mac he was starting to bring in offensive talent and did shore up many areas champ neglected. One of the few things he did ok. The defense on the other hand was the mirror image of champs defense and neglected nearly as badly.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So Traz, no departed coach was ever spoken only positively about? Pertaining to negative residues, I'm sure some get minor mention while some players feel so cheated that they must speak out loud and clear. I don't recall such a "call-out" as McCrew has urged forth.?? -- especially revelations that fans could say "amen" to.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Of course you didn't say that. Nobody would say that there's been good-talk about coaches because that's a positive angle. Only the negative gets that kind of play here.
Not pointing at you Traz, you are a straight shooter. It's just that the negative/positive stays so out of tilted towards the 'worser'.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
So Traz, no departed coach was ever spoken only positively about? Pertaining to negative residues, I'm sure some get minor mention while some players feel so cheated that they must speak out loud and clear. I don't recall such a "call-out" as McCrew has urged forth.?? -- especially revelations that fans could say "amen" to.

It’s hard to parse through all the cliches and happy talk to get to the real stories in a transition, as well as the grumbling. Every new S&C is hailed as an exciting change for the better. Every DC is going to instill an “attacking” scheme. Every offseason is the best EVER!

In this case, judge by the results. Guys do look bigger, faster, stronger and more resilient physically and mentally. They did not wilt at the end of the season. They repeatedly bounced back mentally. Injuries plummeted. Tragic to lose Wilson for the season and a real shame to see Davis go down, but the team stayed much healthier than in a long time and those losses didn’t entirely ruin the season. A lot of that is rooted in the January-February work leading into spring camp.

Among the key differences from 2016 - they ended strong. The second half vs. SC and the F$U game put us on a nice upswing.

That’s better than getting blown out your last 3 games because you have no offense and cannot hold up longer than a quarter and a half against quality opponents.

The defense remains suspect, but that’s a talent & depth issue right up the middle (DT, LB & S). They really need to get higher production out of the guys we have and close this 2019 class with more DT help and talent at S or at least DBs that can cross-train.

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
It’s hard to parse through all the cliches and happy talk to get to the real stories in a transition, as well as the grumbling. Every new S&C is hailed as an exciting change for the better. Every DC is going to instill an “attacking” scheme. Every offseason is the best EVER!

In this case, judge by the results. Guys do look bigger, faster, stronger and more resilient physically and mentally. They did not wilt at the end of the season. They repeatedly bounced back mentally. Injuries plummeted. Tragic to lose Wilson for the season and a real shame to see Davis go down, but the team stayed much healthier than in a long time and those losses didn’t entirely ruin the season. A lot of that is rooted in the January-February work leading into spring camp.

Among the key differences from 2016 - they ended strong. The second half vs. SC and the F$U game put us on a nice upswing.

That’s better than getting blown out your last 3 games because you have no offense and cannot hold up longer than a quarter and a half against quality opponents.

The defense remains suspect, but that’s a talent & depth issue right up the middle (DT, LB & S). They really need to get higher production out of the guys we have and close this 2019 class with more DT help and talent at S or at least DBs that can cross-train.

Nailed it on all fronts.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Of course you didn't say that. Nobody would say that there's been good-talk about coaches because that's a positive angle. Only the negative gets that kind of play here.
Not pointing at you Traz, you are a straight shooter. It's just that the negative/positive stays so out of tilted towards the 'worser'.
I'm afraid the fans have been stood up at the alter too many times.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Every new S&C is hailed as an exciting change for the better. Every DC is going to instill an “attacking” scheme. Every offseason is the best EVER!
please show me someone who considered Randy Shannon to have an attacking defense.

In this case, judge by the results. Guys do look bigger, faster, stronger and more resilient physically and mentally.
Agreed.

Among the key differences from 2016 - they ended strong. The second half vs. SC and the F$U game put us on a nice upswing
Absolutely, but Im struggling to understand why we still are recruiting like Butters.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Better Offense

Better Special Teams

Better S&C

Better OL

No Coach NORD

Just saying

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
please show me someone who considered Randy Shannon to have an attacking defense.

I’m only referring to what is always said when a new DC begins. Probably wasn’t said about Shannon since he was already on staff.

Absolutely, but Im struggling to understand why we still are recruiting like Butters.

That’s the big question. Hopefully we’ll close strong for 2019 and build on the good start for 2020-21. Elite Talent+Elite Development+Excellent Game planning & management. You can win 9-10 on the last two but need all 3 to compete regularly for championships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator