Chatter Golf Sub-Forum

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
Been working on a swing change. You gotta film yourself. If you don't you can never actually correct what's holding you back.

This is true about seeing yourself on film, but the worst thing I've ever done for my golf game was go to a Golftec last year, so YMMV. I introduced so much technical mumbo jumbo thinking about angles and planes and everything else that I lost all fluidity and athleticism in my swing.

Also, you need to either spend or earn one more oxbuck... you're sitting there with 666 and "Hail Satan" in your profile pic. Never gonna fix that golf swing! :D

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is true about seeing yourself on film, but the worst thing I've ever done for my golf game was go to a Golftec last year, so YMMV. I introduced so much technical mumbo jumbo thinking about angles and planes and everything else that I lost all fluidity and athleticism in my swing.
I think you’ve made a great point. Too many swing thoughts at one time for me makes a free swing almost impossible. Personally, my big swing cue is “left arm straight.” Filming, as Ray suggested, helped me see that my left arm was breaking down at the top and I was inconsistent keeping the club on plane through the downswing. It’s taken a while to build back the fluidity. I’m also fighting against age and the loss of flexibility that we all must guard against at some point.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve stopped playing a couple of times in the last 30 years, but I always come back. I’m not the athlete I once was, but I still have competitive needs that must be fulfilled. Golf is about all that’s left. I can’t hit it as far, but hybrids have helped fill in the gap. Accuracy is something I can enjoy and my putting is better than it ever has been. I’m afraid if there wasn’t golf, I wouldn’t have an enjoyable, physically competitive outlet.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018

I saw it during the tournament today--incredible. That hole(heck the whole tournament) is awesome. In a different way than a major, but it is special out there in its own unique way.

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017
The Players has been a washout so far. First round still not complete and more storms tomorrow. After the storms blow through, winds are supposed to be 20-30 mph on Saturday and cold on Sunday. It's going to be a long, wild weekend for the players.

Shortcast

Lifetime Member
Aug 10, 2015
I know we have several golfers among the membership, so I thought I’d give this idea of a sub-forum a try. A place to share and ask for advice on parts of the game that might be troublesome. A 19th hole to share your exploits, brag a little, bellyache, and commiserate. I’ll start…

At 60 with both strength and flexibility on the decline, I’ve lost a lot of distance these last few years. Doesn’t bother me as much on approaches, but it hurts my soul off the tee. Currently I use a 9 degree Callaway with a firm flex. When it’s relatively dry, I can get some good roll, but when it’s damp
I don’t get a lot of distance. Any ideas would be appreciated.

One of the best humorous golf experiences I ever had was playing in Quincy while in my 20’s. We got behind a group of hillbillies from Liberty County. They were dressed in wife-beaters, cut off jeans, and softball cleats (how they got on the course in that dress I’ll never know). They couldn’t play a lick, stayed in the woods, and were slow as smoke off of shti. To make matters worse, we couldn’t play through because the course was crowded. My foursome was steaming by the time we got to 18. But then something happened that broke tension. One of the Liberty Co. guys stepped up, waggled a bit, took a lash at it with his best softball swing, and for the first time all round, hit one down the middle. He immediately turned to his partners, threw his driver on the ground, and yelled “Don’t ever f**k with me!” To say we fell about the place is a severe understatement. Almost 40 years later we still laugh about it. Golf, when not taken too seriously, can provide a ton of humor.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys, pros and duffers alike.

Cover 2... 1st, get shed of that 9° and step up to a 10.5 . When you lose distance, its because you've also lost club head speed. The higher loft will help compensate for that. Next get your swing speed checked... if your below 95 with your driver, you may want to drop to a regular flex.
I'm 74, still playing from whites and sometimes the combo tees depending on the length of the course. 6000 yds and up...combos, below that...whites.
Lots of hard realities to deal with once your over 60, but once you realize length isn't everything...the game becomes much clearer. (Not easier...just clearer) focus on your med irons, short game (100yds in) and putting.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Still waiting for someone to play VR mini-golf with me. Check out this shot I made today:

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
The Players has been a washout so far. First round still not complete and more storms tomorrow. After the storms blow through, winds are supposed to be 20-30 mph on Saturday and cold on Sunday. It's going to be a long, wild weekend for the players.

Preparation for the British Open.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched a clip on #17 at this year’s players. The wind is wreaking havoc. We’ve gone several times and I’ve enjoyed sitting in the grandstands at this hole. It’s usually pretty nerve racking under the best conditions, especially for those in contention. Most of the players hit PW to GW, but the guys yesterday were hitting 7 irons in some cases. One threesome, forget who, had a combined 17 on the hole! The guys that finished Round 1 before the weather postponement had a huge advantage.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I absolutely loved watching the footage of 17 yesterday;) Quite entertaining, guys probably thought they were in Scotland. After a bit you could look at their pre swing alignment and think this won’t go well. The thought process of trying to draw a high slow ball into a 20+ wind

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was watching golf channel last night and the two commentators were about to come to blows talking about 17 :lol: The one guy was saying that the hole is a clown show and doesn't belong in a serious golf tourney, the other guy was saying that it was still fair because everybody has to play the same hole. I kinda saw the point that the first guy was making, that there simply isn't any 'safe' way to play the hole. I watched one of the guys who was 1 shot off the lead yesterday hit a pretty accurate shot that ended up just a hair short due to a gust, and then his next shot was also pretty good below the hold but spun back all the way into the water. Went from 1 shot off the lead to 5 shots off the lead on a single par 3. Yikes. When the gusts are that strong, even if you hit a 'good' shot you are basically still rolling the dice to see if it lands on the green.

Maybe if they simply increased the amount of fringe rough ringing the green and grew that grass a bit taller it would keep a lot of balls from trundling off the back or zipping backward off the front. One thing is for sure, when the wind is right in the lips like that, ANY sidespin on the ball is going to make a big banana flight that takes a ton of distance off the shot.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I was watching golf channel last night and the two commentators were about to come to blows talking about 17 :lol: The one guy was saying that the hole is a clown show and doesn't belong in a serious golf tourney, the other guy was saying that it was still fair because everybody has to play the same hole. I kinda saw the point that the first guy was making, that there simply isn't any 'safe' way to play the hole. I watched one of the guys who was 1 shot off the lead yesterday hit a pretty accurate shot that ended up just a hair short due to a gust, and then his next shot was also pretty good below the hold but spun back all the way into the water. Went from 1 shot off the lead to 5 shots off the lead on a single par 3. Yikes. When the gusts are that strong, even if you hit a 'good' shot you are basically still rolling the dice to see if it lands on the green.

Maybe if they simply increased the amount of fringe rough ringing the green and grew that grass a bit taller it would keep a lot of balls from trundling off the back or zipping backward off the front. One thing is for sure, when the wind is right in the lips like that, ANY sidespin on the ball is going to make a big banana flight that takes a ton of distance off the shot.
Sounds like Brandel Chamblee. He's the most 'detail stat' person I have ever seen...but can be a jerk oftentimes.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
275807417_10158112562356330_5450913669446776545_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics