Chatter Golf Sub-Forum

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn’t say that it’s an absolute, but in my case, I didn’t start playing golf seriously until after high school. I had been a decent football, basketball, and baseball player, but golf was a different beast. It seemed like the harder I tried the worse I got. All I ever knew athletically was to work harder when you were struggling. Golf, I learned, required you to work smarter. I quit beating balls to death, I figured I wasn’t doing anything but reinforcing bad techniques, got a little help from a club pro, and learned to relax and enjoy the game for the opportunity to compete and have some fun with friends.

My son is like me and wants to hit 300 yard drives and shoot 5 under every time out. Needless to say he stays frustrated quite a bit. Funny thing is he’s improving, but he’s not satisfied. My daughter played in high school her last two years and did pretty well. She only plays occasionally when she’s home and still hits a nice high controlled fade off the tee about 250 every time. She doesn’t get down on herself and is fun to play with. She has the right attitude. You never see her sweat. She had an opportunity to play CC golf, but was ready to move on. It’s a game that strikes people in a variety of ways.

Are you able to still play?

@oxrageous I always assumed golf was a sport :dunno:. If somebody can move it, that would be great.

Nope. My back has crushed the dream into playing through really old age. In college I was about a 3 handicap. I could hit it just as long as the guys on our team. I was good enough to play with them. What I didn't realize was that three of them would end up on the tour. One guy hadn't touched a club for 6 months. He hit it all over the yard and came in with a 74. It was then that I realized that my dad lied to me. He said if you work hard enough at anything you will succeed. We'll not in Golf. Latter in life I actually took six months off to "fix" my swing. Damned Jack and Golf my way. I patterned my swing after Jack. Nobody could swing like that but Jack. I beat my hands bloody getting out of that swing pattern. What I realized way too late is that if I'd worked more on shots from 50 yards in and getting up and down I could have gotten down to scratch. My swing was fine. With the exception of putting, my short game was MEH.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What I realized way too late is that if I'd worked more on shots from 50 yards in and getting up and down I could have gotten down to scratch. My swing was fine. With the exception of putting, my short game was MEH.
9 was as low as I ever got and I worked hard to get there and almost immediately couldn’t play to it! I screwed my swing up when I decided I needed to be able to draw the ball. It became a disaster and took me a few years to undo. The best part of my game that stayed consistent was 50 yds in, chipping, and eventually putting. The rest of my game was erratic and to be any kind of competitive I had to compensate with the short stuff.

Sorry you aren’t able to play anymore. It’s about the only competitive outlet I have left.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The new handicapping system through GHIN is much different than what it used to be, even 3-4 years ago. It’s much more forgiving to the high handicapper and more punitive to the low handicappers. It updates every night and uses less scores.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
My favorite golf movie. Way funnier than Caddyshack and Happy Gilmore, yet gracefully imbued with a certain brooding nuance that Tin Cup Chalice and Bagger Vance attempted to capture with only partial success.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I like playing golf. Played once a year for a long time. Me and teacher buddies (and close friends) would play in the summer hot as hell somewhere around Gville. Have me a big draft beer after 9 holes and the back nine was even more fun. The stories I could tell...........

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I know we have several golfers among the membership, so I thought I’d give this idea of a sub-forum a try. A place to share and ask for advice on parts of the game that might be troublesome. A 19th hole to share your exploits, brag a little, bellyache, and commiserate. I’ll start…

At 60 with both strength and flexibility on the decline, I’ve lost a lot of distance these last few years. Doesn’t bother me as much on approaches, but it hurts my soul off the tee. Currently I use a 9 degree Callaway with a firm flex. When it’s relatively dry, I can get some good roll, but when it’s damp I don’t get a lot of distance. Any ideas would be appreciated.

One of the best humorous golf experiences I ever had was playing in Quincy while in my 20’s. We got behind a group of hillbillies from Liberty County. They were dressed in wife-beaters, cut off jeans, and softball cleats (how they got on the course in that dress I’ll never know). They couldn’t play a lick, stayed in the woods, and were slow as smoke off of shti. To make matters worse, we couldn’t play through because the course was crowded. My foursome was steaming by the time we got to 18. But then something happened that broke tension. One of the Liberty Co. guys stepped up, waggled a bit, took a lash at it with his best softball swing, and for the first time all round, hit one down the middle. He immediately turned to his partners, threw his driver on the ground, and yelled “Don’t ever f**k with me!” To say we fell about the place is a severe understatement. Almost 40 years later we still laugh about it. Golf, when not taken too seriously, can provide a ton of humor.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys, pros and duffers alike.
Try going to a 10 or 10.5 loft and reconsider that firm shaft. Firm is usually for club head speed 90+. If you aren't in that range a firm shaft in your driver could be hurting your length off the tee. Also if you are a fader try to work on more draw off the tee when it's a straight shot to the fairway.... you will get more carry.

Lastly, I am 57 and I have come to accept that the ydg is going to decline. I play from tees that usually don't involve too many 400+ par 4's so even at about 230-240 off the tee I should be no worse that a 7 iron to the green. Par 5's I just try to be on in 3 and give myself a chance. Hit the par 3's and have some birdie opportunities. I quit playing crazy courses that make me hate the game...I want to have fun not cuss myself out for 4 hours.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Well I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed, so why is the British Open a Major and not the Scottish Open?
It’s now correctly called "The Open."

Longshanks just couldn't leave well enough alone, so Sir William Wallace rallied the people to free the Scottish tournament from British appropriation. I think there's a movie about it.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
9 was as low as I ever got and I worked hard to get there and almost immediately couldn’t play to it! I screwed my swing up when I decided I needed to be able to draw the ball. It became a disaster and took me a few years to undo. The best part of my game that stayed consistent was 50 yds in, chipping, and eventually putting. The rest of my game was erratic and to be any kind of competitive I had to compensate with the short stuff.

Sorry you aren’t able to play anymore. It’s about the only competitive outlet I have left.

Jack ,and his super upright swing and huge shoulder turn. That's what I emulated. And it included a fade. So I spent 6 months changing so I could hit a natural draw. Why I did that I still can't figure out. After 35 years of the same swing it was a bitch to change.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed, so why is the British Open a Major and not the Scottish Open?
Are you trying to piss of the Scots?

Dont make us come burn your house down and exercise prima nocta on your wimminz!!!

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I was down to 7 at my best in HS. Shot 77 at Regionals and 78 at Sectionals, on courses I’d never played. Needed 76 to make State; can’t complain as I did my best. Broke par once at the University course. Shot a 90 at Ironweed the next day. :lol:
I’m a better bowler now (200+ avg), in more ways than one! :bandit:
Although all this talk about golf makes me want to go to the range and hit a bucket.
:bart:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I was down to 7 at my best in HS. Shot 77 at Regionals and 78 at Sectionals, on courses I’d never played. Needed 76 to make State; can’t complain as I did my best. Broke par once at the University course. Shot a 90 at Ironweed the next day. :lol:
I’m a better bowler now (200+ avg), in more ways than one! :bandit:
Although all this talk about golf makes me want to go to the range and hit a bucket.
:bart:
How do you shoot 90 at Ironwood. :bwahaha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator