Chatter Golf Sub-Forum

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Benjamins trump morality once again...It's now so expensive for the ol fart like me to even play most decent courses...gave my sticks, bag, and shoes to one of my nephews, (he's still working and can afford it).:weep:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The greens must have been a b.i.t.c.h. If I'd hit 14 green and got up and down 3 times it would have been one of the best rounds of my life. Or maybe you had one of my famous in the parking lot drives that always resulted in a double for me.
It was the latter. The first hole.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
All I know is found out that 4 or 5 strokes a round means there is a Huuuuuuuuuuuuuugge difference in talent. I practiced harder than those guys. I did everything to get better. They had talent. I didn't. I remember one guy on the team who didn't even go on the tour who picked up his clubs after a four month lay off and shot a 76. All I could think was WTF? I'd have been over 90.
My Bradley gunner in Korea was a scratch golfer and got a full scholarship to Kansas. He was the kind of guy that was just naturally gifted at EVERYTHING... except discipline. The reason he was in the Army is because when he got to Kansas, "swinging the club"/golf became, "Today, you are going to hit 5,000 balls with the 5 iron." Couldn't do it, lost his scholarship. I think like most sports, it's that combination of a natural gift PLUS discipline that makes the difference.

Follow-up: the guy is still incredibly talented. After he got out of the Army, he worked as a golf pro, started a band (could play anything AND sing... he totally blew away a USO touring band in Korea by getting up on stage and playing harmonica to their songs without knowing any of their songs), was a gifted writer, and is now a legitimate screenwriter.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My Bradley gunner in Korea was a scratch golfer and got a full scholarship to Kansas. He was the kind of guy that was just naturally gifted at EVERYTHING... except discipline. The reason he was in the Army is because when he got to Kansas, "swinging the club"/golf became, "Today, you are going to hit 5,000 balls with the 5 iron." Couldn't do it, lost his scholarship. I think like most sports, it's that combination of a natural gift PLUS discipline that makes the difference.

Follow-up: the guy is still incredibly talented. After he got out of the Army, he worked as a golf pro, started a band (could play anything AND sing... he totally blew away a USO touring band in Korea by getting up on stage and playing harmonica to their songs without knowing any of their songs), was a gifted writer, and is now a legitimate screenwriter.
:scoff3:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

So now you've introduced me to one more guy I can hate. :lol:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Nick Taylor just holed a 72 foot putt on the 4th playoff hole against Fleetwood to be the first Canadian to win the Canadian Open in 69 years. The longest putt of his career. Holy sh*t!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That putt was a bomb. Happy for Taylor. Fleetwood battled but it was a pillow fight there for a while.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Nick Taylor just holed a 72 foot putt on the 4th playoff hole against Fleetwood to be the first Canadian to win the Canadian Open in 69 years. The longest putt of his career. Holy sh*t!
Heck, that's gotta rank up there as possibly the longest winning putt of anyone's career....let alone just his. Wow, what a putt. I can't think of tournament winning putt longer off the top of my head.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Heck, that's gotta rank up there as possibly the longest winning putt of anyone's career....let alone just his. Wow, what a putt. I can't think of tournament winning putt longer off the top of my head.
Glad I tuned in on the final hole of regulation. Pretty raucous crowd and an epic finish.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So no comments on the US Open? Maybe it was on past everyone's bedtime?

Course seemed a little hokey for such a big golf tourney. Of course those pin placements were brutal. The rough and greens seemed to be up to Open standards but the layout just seemed weird. Also, not enough fans allowed in the gate I guess due to local issues.

CBS does such a better job covering golf. Azinger is just brutal to listen to. I don't think the cameras were doing a very good job of tracking the ball either.

Once again, Sheffler would walk away with the tourney if he could make a few more putts. It was good seeing Fowler back in contention.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017

Course seemed a little hokey for such a big golf tourney. Of course those pin placements were brutal. The rough and greens seemed to be up to Open standards but the layout just seemed weird. Also, not enough fans allowed in the gate I guess due to local issues.

CBS does such a better job covering golf. Azinger is just brutal to listen to. I don't think the cameras were doing a very good job of tracking the ball either.

Once again, Sheffler would walk away with the tourney if he could make a few more putts. It was good seeing Fowler back in contention.
Heard a guy last evening commenting on the wide fairways and bringing on some courses like this that play shorter. Something unheard of just five or so years ago. Many good courses have fallen out of the rotation in the past for having too wide fairways and playing too short for today's big hitting pros.

But the USGA is trying to get better scoring than the two or three under winners from the past. Trying to bring more attention and larger TV audiences with better scoring...much like other professional sports.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
My youngest said we have a 7 PM tee time on the 22nd to celebrate his 23rd birthday at midnight on the 23rd at the 19th hole...in Anchorage!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My youngest said we have a 7 PM tee time on the 22nd to celebrate his 23rd birthday at midnight on the 23rd at the 19th hole...in Anchorage!
Land of the midnight sun. I know it well. Also, the land of the high noon pitch black darkness.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018

I wasn't impressed with the venue....not as bad as was Chambers Bay back in 2015 however, but just didn't seem to have the feel of a US Open. Perhaps if I was actually there instead of only basing on tv I might feel a little different. But I doubt it. Speaking of Chambers Bay, I just noticed that the future sites named for US Opens going all the way through 2036 does not include Chambers Bay, so maybe all the gripes about that place were heard. I remember some of the comments by many players about the greens--can't remember who but think it was Sergio said "they felt like they were putting on broccoli". Absolutely horrid. LACC wasn't that bad but I just was not impressed at all.

You are so correct--CBS is light years ahead of NBC (and especially FOX) when doing tournaments. I miss Faldo on CBS big time....he and Nance worked great together and Faldo just had a great personality on-air compared to any of the analysts on NBC. Azinger has caught a lot of flack about his commentary from Sunday. I agree with them as he gets on my nerves but not as much as Johnny Miller did. IMO Miller was the most arrogant analyst to ever call a tournament. Was overly critical on nearly every shot, constantly calling it a weak shot, bad choice of club, aimed at the wrong place, etc....nonstop mouthing off as if his chit didn't stink. Compared to Faldo who was typically complimentary of most shots and when it was a bad shot, for whatever reason.....he didn't berate the player's ability as Miller did. Plus he seemed like he would be a great guy to go have a beer with or play a round with. A down to earth personality where there is no way I would want to play a round with Miller even if I had the chance.

Gotta admit I was pulling for Rickie given his recent drought.....long drought. If he couldn't pull it off, my 2nd choice was Rory. But having said that, Clark earned it. Played steady and solid so kudos to him. I just hope Rickie can maintain some confidence he gained over the weekend. Having tied the 36 hole record low at a US Open is nothing to sneeze at and he showed again how consistent he can be when he's playing well. I don't recall the number of top 5 finishes in majors but he has got a bunch--there are a load of players who can't even sniff those kinds of numbers.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thin to win, baby....thin to win!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.