Chatter Golf Sub-Forum

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I guess I’m a traditionalist, but seeing the LA skyline in many camera shots was just weird to me. Part of that was me knowing what all was going on in that part of the city and being reminded of it. I don’t know, but the course did seem kind of hokey, gimmicky. 500+ par 4’s and an 81 yard par 3. Just not a classic layout that I’ve come to associate with the US Open. But kudos for Clark are deserved. He made the putts while the other contenders didn’t.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
6 iron, 115. Thinned it.
Hole in one ball with a cut in it. Not sure if that goes in the trophy case.

I've never had a hole in one. Truth is If I hit it fat and skulled it at the same time, it would go in the trophy case.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hats off to Ricky Fowler for breaking a five year winning drought this weekend. Birdied the first playoff hole. Likable guy, glad to see him in the winners Circle again.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Golf clubs don't cut balls anymore old man. He's not whacking a balata around with a niblick and a mashie.
You’re right, but there’s still not a better feeling than a well-struck Titleist 100 off of my old Taylor Made irons or my old Golden Bear persimmon driver. The Srixon balls I play feel good off of my Sim 2 Driver and Ram irons, but still not quite the same. It would dang sure hurt your feelings if you thinned one of those balatas and you walked up and found it smiling at you!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You’re right, but there’s still not a better feeling than a well-struck Titleist 100 off of my old Taylor Made irons or my old Golden Bear persimmon driver. The Srixon balls I play feel good off of my Sim 2 Driver and Ram irons, but still not quite the same. It would dang sure hurt your feelings if you thinned one of those balatas and you walked up and found it smiling at you!
For sure, I was just giving 46 the biz. I honestly can't remember the last time I had to take a ball out of play because it was cut, but it was probably over 20 years ago.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For sure, I was just giving 46 the biz. I honestly can't remember the last time I had to take a ball out of play because it was cut, but it was probably over 20 years ago.
I know you were just having a little sport with him :lol: Couldn’t help but wax nostalgic. I got those old Taylor Mades when I graduated from college. They had square groves and the 8, 9, and PW would cut three groves into the face of the old Titleist 100s. They could put the back-up on those balatas. I started playing a Precept at the recommendation of a buddy that worked at Edwin Watts. More durable but a little softer feel.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ahhh, the Precept. A trip down memory lane :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Open is always a great tournament to watch each year. The weather, the rough, and the bunkers always provide a stern test. This year is no different. I know several here might bust a blood vessel if Brian Harman were to hold on to win, but you’ve got to admit he’s played three great rounds and is position to take it. But holding the lead on the last day is always tough. Plus John Rahm caught fire and if he can continue at that pace it could be a barn burner.

I had the pleasure of seeing Harman play in high school. I had just started coaching our golf team and wanted to build a contender for a Region title and make it to state. We played in an early season tournament in Moultrie and Glynn Academy from St, Simon’s, a perennial high school golf power, was also participating. Their coach, Terry Tuley, was widely regarded as one of the best coaches around. So I’m thinking that I’ll find him, introduce myself, and see if he’ll share any ideas for building a strong program.

When I met and introduced myself to Coach Tuley, he was nice enough to talk program golf, but what he told me was this…”Coach, I’m probably not the guy to ask because all my guys‘ parents send them to Houston several times a year to work with the Golf Digest instructors. They can all play very well. In fact, when they hired me they told me I only needed to do three things: get them to and from tournaments safely, see that they are well fed, and most importantly, don’t F with their swings!”

So I didn’t get much from him, but I did follow Harman that day. It was a Saturday in early April and a big storm had blown through the night before. The wind was gusting all day, the course had casual water everywhere, and the temperature had dropped into the 30’s. It was brutal. Our guys struggled and finished in the bottom half. Brian Harman destroyed the course, shooting a 66 in the worst conditions to take Low Medalist. He was phenomenal and scrambled around like a pro at Carnoustie. I’ve been a fan ever since and I’ll enjoy watching to see if he can finish breaking through for a first Major.

beteez

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Open is always a great tournament to watch each year. The weather, the rough, and the bunkers always provide a stern test. This year is no different. I know several here might bust a blood vessel if Brian Harman were to hold on to win, but you’ve got to admit he’s played three great rounds and is position to take it. But holding the lead on the last day is always tough. Plus John Rahm caught fire and if he can continue at that pace it could be a barn burner.

I had the pleasure of seeing Harman play in high school. I had just started coaching our golf team and wanted to build a contender for a Region title and make it to state. We played in an early season tournament in Moultrie and Glynn Academy from St, Simon’s, a perennial high school golf power, was also participating. Their coach, Terry Tuley, was widely regarded as one of the best coaches around. So I’m thinking that I’ll find him, introduce myself, and see if he’ll share any ideas for building a strong program.

When I met and introduced myself to Coach Tuley, he was nice enough to talk program golf, but what he told me was this…”Coach, I’m probably not the guy to ask because all my guys‘ parents send them to Houston several times a year to work with the Golf Digest instructors. They can all play very well. In fact, when they hired me they told me I only needed to do three things: get them to and from tournaments safely, see that they are well fed, and most importantly, don’t F with their swings!”

So I didn’t get much from him, but I did follow Harman that day. It was a Saturday in early April and a big storm had blown through the night before. The wind was gusting all day, the course had casual water everywhere, and the temperature had dropped into the 30’s. It was brutal. Our guys struggled and finished in the bottom half. Brian Harman destroyed the course, shooting a 66 in the worst conditions to take Low Medalist. He was phenomenal and scrambled around like a pro at Carnoustie. I’ve been a fan ever since and I’ll enjoy watching to see if he can finish breaking through for a first Major.
The Red Terrors have always been strong all the way back to Steve Melnyck who was a gator. When I went there in the early 80s the coach spent more time in the card room then coaching. Team had a major winner, a US Amateur Champ, son of a touring pro and son of the head pro atJekyll Island. Now Frederica has all of the Sea Island Mafia’s kids. Harman went to Savannah Christian.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Red Terrors have always been strong all the way back to Steve Melnyck who was a gator. When I went there in the early 80s the coach spent more time in the card room then coaching. Team had a major winner, a US Amateur Champ, son of a touring pro and son of the head pro atJekyll Island. Now Frederica has all of the Sea Island Mafia’s kids. Harman went to Savannah Christian.
That tournament I referred to, Don Dale, the coach at Colquitt Co. who hosted, had told me to look up Coach Tuley from Glynn and said there was a kid playing that was a great player (Harman). I guess I just assumed he was with Glynn. But he dang sure ripped the Moultrie course a new one in much less than ideal conditions.

Last edited:

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017
Billy has struggled this year, but shot 62 on Friday and 63 yesterday. Hopefully he can keep it rolling and pull it off today.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Morikawa and Tiger talking about Charlie Woods....good stuff.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Morikawa and Tiger talking about Charlie Woods....good stuff.

When Tiger said "it's coming"....you could feel his anxiety of getting bested in all aspects by Charlie one of these days. He'll be proud while at the same time agonizing.

That was great video.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Charlie is 12 years old. If he's already carrying it 260.....watch out.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
When Tiger said "it's coming"....you could feel his anxiety of getting bested in all aspects by Charlie one of these days. He'll be proud while at the same time agonizing.

That was great video.
That would be a first for me. A dad jealous of his sons accomplishments.
Even tigers not that big of a prick.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
That would be a first for me. A dad jealous of his sons accomplishments.
Even tigers not that big of a prick.
I don't mean jealous of Charlie's accomplishment at all---I said Tiger would be "agonizing".....meaning='from having to accept he isn't the Tiger he used to be'. I'm sure he's already been going through that for awhile now with his injuries and age creeping up. For an extended period, he was THE standard which no one could come close to. He's already been humbled by father time. That's something every man eventually deals with and even more of a barb when it comes to sports and athletes. Just being a decent, no-name athlete who played a little ball in high school or whatever is hard enough to deal with when you get too old to run, jump, etc. Imagine being arguably one of the two best to ever play the game---that's gotta hurt when you know....it's gone.

Charlie is the apple in Tiger's eye--he will be more proud than anything when Charlies finally smokes him. But I wager there will be a sting to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator