Chatter Golf Sub-Forum

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ryder Cup is one of the best events in golf as far as I’m concerned. The fact that it’s every two years on alternating continents adds to the allure. I find myself enjoying the venues in Europe more so, maybe because they’re not familiar like the US courses and it’s neat to see something different. The whole team aspect and related dynamics makes for some interesting strategic decisions. I never really thought about using player stats and other analytics as part of the course setup, but it makes sense considering how technical the game really is.

Seeing the players pretty much play for national and personal pride instead of a big check or endorsements (though I’m sure that factors in afterward down the line in some way, shape, or form). The rivalries that are built and play out are fun to see on this stage. Rahm and Scheffler’s match was exciting and went down to the final hole after seesawing back and forth. I enjoy watching McIlroy play and he didn’t disappoint. His match with Burns was a good one that featured great drives, iron shots, and putts by both. Hovland had a break out and really has made a quantum leap this season.

Both teams featured some younger stars who should be around for awhile, which hopefully will ensure some continued great competition. I’m already looking forward to Beth Page in two years and wonder who’ll be hot and what new faces will be in the mix.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Being I don't care one iota about LIV Tour, I just had to post this headline I found this morning. The Saudi's have endless money I guess so it's not gonna worry them but this is funny and LIV deserves it IMO. :lol2:

"There's like 27 people there" – Fans mock LIV Golf after the drone shot at the Brooks Koepka-Phil Mickelson match reveal limited crowd at Trump Doral​

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017
Camilo wins for the first time in 9 years! He's been through hell and back over the past few years after losing his 22 month old daughter to brain cancer. Great for him

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Camilo wins for the first time in 9 years! He's been through hell and back over the past few years after losing his 22 month old daughter to brain cancer. Great for him

Great story. One of my best friends lost his daughter to brain cancer several years back. She was a teenager and he was devastated. Life changed forever. I can’t imagine losing an infant. Everything in your life becomes secondary to the child who has such a huge fight. Hopefully this will be a step in getting life back closer to normal. He’ll always have a hole in his heart, though.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
After my dad retired, he moved to Florida and worked part time at the UF golf course. He said Camilo is just about the nicest guy you could ever meet. So glad to see that he won.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tide sophomore becomes first amateur since Mickelson in 91 to win PGA tour event

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tide sophomore becomes first amateur since Mickelson in 91 to win PGA tour event

Enjoyed watching the last two rounds (too cold to do anything outside) and the amateur played some amazing golf. Shot a 60 I believe in the third round and overcame a couple of errors Sunday to close it out. Great way to start your career on tour!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think that win means that Bama is now a "Golf" school...AmIright? :headbang:
Nick Saban did a phone interview on the golf channel during the final round. Not sure if I heard correctly but I believe he said, to the effect, if they (Bama) could learn to hang onto golf portal players better than football, then yes, the transformation to a golf school would have a chance to be successful! Coming off our recent Natty in golf, I think I speak for all Gator golf fans as I reply
Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great ending to the Farmers Ins Tournament. Frenchman Matthieu Pavon had taken the lead and was up by two strokes going to 17 where he promptly three-putted for bogey. Lead cut to one with a gettable par five at 18 laying ahead. Pavon usually hit a reliable fade off the tee but pulled his drive into a bunker on the left side leaving a layup and possibly opening the door for the other two guys who were in position to reach in two.

To make matters worse, Pavon hooked his layup into the left rough and left himself with a sticky lie over a water hazard. Looked like nerves were going to either lose the tournament or at best send him into a playoff. But the guy hit a shot of a lifetime to within 5 feet, eventually holing the putt for birdie and a one stroke victory. His playing partners birdied as well and had he not pulled off his improbable third, he’d have been in a three-way playoff with the weight of a two hole collapse hanging around his neck. It is fun to see guys overcome pressure and adversity to triumph, even if they are Les Fracais!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Man that save by Pavon was something else. I was completely gearing up for a playoff. Hitting that approach out of that cabbage has a pretty large luck factor attached to it.

Torrey Pines looked great. Such a beautiful course. i used to play there a couple times a month when I was a city resident but now that I've moved out to a different part of town I have to pay the tourist rate which is prohibitive. The mentioned that its the longest course on tour and I have to tell you that its no joke. I'm usually pretty comfortable playing the blue tees at any normal course but at TP even playing from the whites my approach shots are over 180 on average, and half the time its from one of the many many fairway bunkers. If you try and take those out of play you're hitting 200 yards into the green on most holes. When I look back at where they place the tee boxes for these pros I just shake my head and wonder how the hell can guys be that damn good at golf. Of course even with that said when the USGA uses it for a US Open they chop two of the par 5s down to par 4s and play the course at par 70. Yeesh.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Zambo there was a time I would’ve looked forward to playing such a long and tough course, but I’m well passed that now. Like you I marvel at how good those guys really are. Hitting 300+ off the tee ACCURATELY is just amazing to me at my age. I do enjoy the majors where they’re penalized for slopping it around and emphasizes strategy often over brute strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator