Chatter Golf Sub-Forum

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@Zambo questions for you about the California golfing experience, specifically Pebble Beach. I’m assuming you’ve played it. Is it worth the cost to play it once and is the rough as difficult to play out of as I’ve heard? Seems like the “ice plant” gets brought up by the couple of guys I know that have played the course. Putting together a bucket list of sorts and a couple of famous golf courses would be neat additions. Thanks!
You have to stay at either PB or Spanish to get on Pebble. All these courses out here they let the rough grow for a few weeks prior to tournament play. PB will let you play the week after tourneys before they cut it back down.

I still have PTSD from Spanish Bay.

Don’t plan a Monterey trip in the fall. That’s when the marine layer is the worst.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
2 Eagles, 9 Birdies & 7 Pars. However, it's only 6,200 yards. That's less than what normal guys play.

Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 4.40.36 PM.png

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Heard just now loud & clear on CBS broadcast of Genesis Invitational. Aussie Jason Day launched his greenside bunker shot over the green: “Ow FAWUKK ME!!!”

Last edited:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@Zambo questions for you about the California golfing experience, specifically Pebble Beach. I’m assuming you’ve played it. Is it worth the cost to play it once and is the rough as difficult to play out of as I’ve heard? Seems like the “ice plant” gets brought up by the couple of guys I know that have played the course. Putting together a bucket list of sorts and a couple of famous golf courses would be neat additions. Thanks!
Do it Cover! It’s also my goal to happily shuffle up to the counter and beg them to take my money one day. I want a caddy and preferably a calm, clear day. It’s one of the bucket list items.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
It is usually on the US Open course where the rough is thick that a pro is made to occasionally feel like most of us weekend hacks. But this was today and not even on a US Open venue. A 6 jack.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It is usually on the US Open course where the rough is thick that a pro is made to occasionally feel like most of us weekend hacks. But this was today and not even on a US Open venue. A 6 jack.

6 putt? Ouch! That would’ve led to some next level captain insano rage outta me!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great leaderboard at the Players today. Shauffle played exceptionally well yesterday to take a one shot lead into the clubhouse. Can’t sleep on Clark, even though he had a couple of slips. The guy seems to have found another gear after learning how to believe in himself. Sheffler’s right there, but the neck troubles are limiting his shot-making. I have to make myself appreciate his talent over the constant media slobbering. Sore neck and all, he finished with birdies on the final three holes. Pretty remarkable and a sign that he has a chance for the back-to-back. I wouldn’t mind Harman taking it, despite his collegiate background. Have remarked before but saw him play in high school and he was impressive. Finally won a major last year and it’s nice seeing a little guy find success in what has become a power game. Only problem today is that the Players and SEC Championship Game are on at the same time! Good problem to have, really!

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great finish at the Players, especially on the heels of the disappointment of the Basketball loss in the SEC Champ Game and Handlogten’s horrific injury. Sheffler shoots a cool 64 to win by a stroke. Shauffelle had his chances, but missed a short birdie putt on 17 after sticking it close. Harman also had a chance but left a couple of key putts short. Clark lipped out on 18 for the tie and a playoff opportunity. Got to hand it to Sheffler, he’s a cool customer and his ball striking is second to none. With the exception of a couple of short misses, his putting has been great since going to the mallet. I haven’t been to the Players since 2019, having gone several years in a row, but other than having gone to the Masters, it is probably my favorite tournament. Yesterday would have been fun to be in attendance.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yesterday was a great day for a final day. So many on the board had the opportunity coming down the stretch. Scottie coming from behind going into the day and just playing lights out, sore neck and all, just like last week. With the guys behind him having so many opportunities but just couldn’t get it done. What a great day to watch.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Great finish at the Players, especially on the heels of the disappointment of the Basketball loss in the SEC Champ Game and Handlogten’s horrific injury. Sheffler shoots a cool 64 to win by a stroke. Shauffelle had his chances, but missed a short birdie putt on 17 after sticking it close. Harman also had a chance but left a couple of key putts short. Clark lipped out on 18 for the tie and a playoff opportunity. Got to hand it to Sheffler, he’s a cool customer and his ball striking is second to none. With the exception of a couple of short misses, his putting has been great since going to the mallet. I haven’t been to the Players since 2019, having gone several years in a row, but other than having gone to the Masters, it is probably my favorite tournament. Yesterday would have been fun to be in attendance.
I was sure Clark was going to make that putt on 18.
Had I been in attendance, like years past, I would've hauled ass back to 17 for the playoff, knowing after he hit that second shot to the green under the pin, he was going to tie it up.
I was fortunate enough to see two playoffs at 17 right on the ropes, because I hauled ass back when I knew they were going to tie it up on 18.
Sergio and Fowler wins.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That lip out was brutal. Nightmare stuff.
Absolutely. Ball horse-shoed. Given the situation, it could take a while to get past that one. Gotta get back out there and attack the dog that bit you.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Enjoying The Masters. Good to see Tiger playing well, Scheffler & Homa looking strong.

Curious how the LIV contingent will hold up. Fewer rounds, less challenging courses, but lots of talent and experience.

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Enjoying The Masters. Good to see Tiger playing well, Scheffler & Homa looking strong.

Curious how the LIV contingent will hold up. Fewer rounds, less challenging courses, but lots of ta Lu ent and experience.
Well, the defending champion is part of the LIV contingent and was when he won last year. I don't think it is an issue - except maybe the pants requirement.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
This thread should be the entire response to the "state of Gator sports" thread. We are talking about a Yankee tourist pasttime in the Main Sports Forum. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator