Chatter Golf Sub-Forum

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So what do you think about the “defections” by some of the PGA stars to the Saudi-backed league? I know several of the names are guys who’s game may be in decline, so it might be a chance to compete again, with a lucrative signing bonus. I’m not crazy about it, but seems like it should be their decision. I also know the PGA has to defend their turf, but some feel they might be overreaching with the sanctions and negative publicity toward those players.

If I had to guess, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Saudi league won’t draw as much sustained interest and would fade away in a few years. But there’s obviously big $$$ behind it and maybe they’ll cater to a big $$$ foreign fan base? As long as the four majors and the Players stay intact, the PGA will be fine. Who knows that the exodus of aging stars won’t hasten the development of some of the younger ones?

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
So what do you think about the “defections” by some of the PGA stars to the Saudi-backed league? I know several of the names are guys who’s game may be in decline, so it might be a chance to compete again, with a lucrative signing bonus. I’m not crazy about it, but seems like it should be their decision. I also know the PGA has to defend their turf, but some feel they might be overreaching with the sanctions and negative publicity toward those players.

If I had to guess, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Saudi league won’t draw as much sustained interest and would fade away in a few years. But there’s obviously big $$$ behind it and maybe they’ll cater to a big $$$ foreign fan base? As long as the four majors and the Players stay intact, the PGA will be fine. Who knows that the exodus of aging stars won’t hasten the development of some of the younger ones?
My opinion--I don't like it and I hope LIV falls flat on their face and folds. Money isn't a problem for them as I think it is virtually endless. Money IS the reason the players left--rather obvious. That was serious money thrown at them and that's fine if they want to give up what they built over time. Phil has an immense net worth and his legacy...IMO...is now tarnished. Supposedly Tiger turned down a rumored 'nearly a billion $' to go over. He's worth that much now or close to it. I respect his stand big time in turning them down. I wish they all had told Norman thanks, but no thanks. I'm big on tradition and these guys all snubbed that--which was indeed their choice and they are totally within their right to do so. I can't judge them on looking out for their families. I just hate to see it.

One thing I will admit--they can have Patrick Reed and keep that cocky jerk. Of all the players on tour, he's probably the one I care for the least so I don't care where he goes or ends up.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@secgator definitely appreciate the tradition of the PGA as well. Also agree that they can have Reed. He reminds me of George’s “comeback” on Seinfeld:

A1A48233-94BE-4840-A654-DD7D75B839D0.jpeg

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but it seems like the LIV is more of a worldwide tour whereas the PGA is an American tour. If the LIV wants to throw a bunch of money at guys to try and establish sort of an "F1" tour around the world, then more power to them. I'm not sure that the PGA having a hissy fit about it is going to be in their best interest. We'll see what happens, I'm probably looking at it all wrong.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but it seems like the LIV is more of a worldwide tour whereas the PGA is an American tour. If the LIV wants to throw a bunch of money at guys to try and establish sort of an "F1" tour around the world, then more power to them. I'm not sure that the PGA having a hissy fit about it is going to be in their best interest. We'll see what happens, I'm probably looking at it all wrong.
I agree with this quite a bit. We can't blame them for trying to establish a 'world league' as you put it, which is true. The way I understand, they were going after top players from PGA, European Tour, Asian Tour....trying to entice big name draws and throwing huge money at them to do so. It may work, but history is probably not on their side.

When you think about it, many of the names they picked up away from the PGA were in their mid-to-late times of their careers. Not over the hill late, but not the young guns rising so fast now that are in their early-mid 20's. When you throw names like Phil, Sergio, Louie, DeChambeau(29), Westwood, DJ, etc.....almost all are in mid-late 30s with some hitting the late-40's and 50 mark. Still good but not going to be playing golf the way many of the hot shot whipper-snappers coming up in the PGA now. For a weak term, you might name it a Curtain Call league when older players go to give their final performances before returning to the Seniors Tournament here in a few years. (Ok...that's brutal but partially true)

My biggest fault or flawed thinking is my bias towards the 'tradition' part. For pete sake we've had OUR tour with OUR tourneys for so long, and they've all been highly respected world wide. If it ain't broke--don't fix it. That may be closed minded but it IS the way I happen to think. Doesn't matter for the time being....time will tell in the long run.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

My thoughts exactly.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Doesn't look too bad ol' buddy. I don't like a straight right leg on the backswing, but I've seen some pretty good golfers do it.
I really prefer using one of these.
20180719_160603 air cannon.jpg

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
292509957_415040940659756_5940144919842611803_n.jpg

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have such little interest in The Open. Watching guys hit 400+ yard drives all the way to the greens on par 4s that just roll and roll like its a parking lot is just weird and stupid. And the pace is so slow because the ball rolls so far they are constantly having to wait for the greens to clear or to get waved up. Just terrible.

On top of that, the time zone thing sucks too.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I have such little interest in The Open. Watching guys hit 400+ yard drives all the way to the greens on par 4s that just roll and roll like its a parking lot is just weird and stupid. And the pace is so slow because the ball rolls so far they are constantly having to wait for the greens to clear or to get waved up. Just terrible.

I can deal with all that. It’s those accents that disgust me.
British Hello GIF by IFC

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I know what you mean, but the wind and weather may have something to say before all is said and done.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Get over it guys. It's a different game. I find it interesting to see how the pros adapt to the differences.

It's not so much the roll outs that I have a problem with. It's that it seems to me that depending on where you land in the fairway (and it can be a mater of inches difference) you may find yourself in a world of hurt or 100 yards further toward the green.

Slow play? That's definitely a problem with everybody running into or waiting for everyone else.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Childhood friend of mine who's a retired Marine Corps rotary wing guy is over there. Come to think of it, he mighta gone through P'cola with you around the same time, maybe a little before.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Get over it guys. It's a different game. I find it interesting to see how the pros adapt to the differences.

It's not so much the roll outs that I have a problem with. It's that it seems to me that depending on where you land in the fairway (and it can be a mater of inches difference) you may find yourself in a world of hurt or 100 yards further toward the green.

Slow play? That's definitely a problem with everybody running into or waiting for everyone else.
"Different?" Hell, it's why we fought a revolution!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.