Chatter Golf Sub-Forum

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
What a crazy game we play, this golf. I played two 9-hole rounds recently on my home course. I played the same 9 both times. One round, I only hit 3 greens and only made 3 pars, but shot 36 (3 birdies, 3 bogies). The next time out I hit all 7 fairways, made 7 pars, and shot 40 because of two bad swings on the par 3's that lead to double bogies.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that to bump this thread now the the Players Championship is starting.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
What a crazy game we play, this golf. I played two 9-hole rounds recently on my home course. I played the same 9 both times. One round, I only hit 3 greens and only made 3 pars, but shot 36 (3 birdies, 3 bogies). The next time out I hit all 7 fairways, made 7 pars, and shot 40 because of two bad swings on the par 3's that lead to double bogies.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that to bump this thread now the the Players Championship is starting.
:clap: Four over on 18....you considering the qualifying school or Korn Ferry soon?:fistbump:

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
:clap: Four over on 18....you considering the qualifying school or Korn Ferry soon?:fistbump:
I wish. I used to be pretty decent (2-3 handicap) back in HS and college when I could play just about every day. Now I play the white tees just to have fun and try to break 80 every time out. I still can on more days than not.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Totally off topic. When I was good (good is a relative term), I controlled my mid to short irons by choking down on the grip and keeping my tempo the same. I might not hit the damned thing straight but I'd be right on for distance. Of course there's a ton more going on, wind, green conditions, do you just say screw it and hit a punch shot, fade it, etc etc. But I was really good at distance until I got to a 4 or maybe a 3 iron.

You never hear the pros doing that these days. They're more concerned with going at it easy, medium, or hard. If it worked for a hacker like me, why doesn't it work for them.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Totally off topic. When I was good (good is a relative term), I controlled my mid to short irons by choking down on the grip and keeping my tempo the same. I might not hit the damned thing straight but I'd be right on for distance. Of course there's a ton more going on, wind, green conditions, do you just say screw it and hit a punch shot, fade it, etc etc. But I was really good at distance until I got to a 4 or maybe a 3 iron.

You never hear the pros doing that these days. They're more concerned with going at it easy, medium, or hard. If it worked for a hacker like me, why doesn't it work for them.
I played with blades, so any miss-hit was penalized harshly. I was better with the mid irons when I didn’t choke down. My wedges and maybe the 8 & 9 iron I could finesse though.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Same here. Best part of my game was my iron play and putting. Fricking drives, long (for back then) and all over the place.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Scottie's been on a helluva run the past year+

As everyone else melted down, Scottie made shots and putts. Hatton had an amazing day, too. It was cool to see the course sort everyone out Sunday after being so vulnerable on Saturday.

Can’t wait for the Masters!

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
As my Uncle Stan used to say: "Drive for show, putt for dough". Still holds true today; just ask Jordan Spieth, one of my favorite players. I miss my Sunday morning group at Tarpon Springs Golf Course ( one of my favorites).

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
When Jordon, who is also a favorite player of mine, was really hot; he was a hell of putter. I wondered if he could sustain it. There are two kinds of putters (think Billy Casper) those who go on an occasional hot streak and those that are consistently good. Correction there are at least three kinds, if we include those that are bad (think Sergio). When you lose your touch you may never get it back, at least not consistently. I hope that's not the case with Jordon.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The World Match Play tourney has produced some really good golf. Final four starting tomorrow is Scheffler v Sam Burns and McIlroy v Cameron Young. I’d love to see Scheffler and Rory in the Championship, but Burns and Young have played some great golf. Lot of quality iron shots and putting, but the length of these guys is something else. I was hoping to see Rahm go further, but he wasn’t as sharp as he had been, winning three tournies early this year.

I enjoy this format. When it gets close to the end, you see the guys that are behind taking chances. That par 4 with the water that everybody has been shooting at has been fun to watch. A nice break from traditional stroke play tournaments.

Last edited:

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
The Match Play is definitely a fun event. Between that and Gator baseball, I forgot all about March Madness yesterday.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
339012940_743337234173924_8201631285572382659_n.png

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I played with blades, so any miss-hit was penalized harshly. I was better with the mid irons when I didn’t choke down. My wedges and maybe the 8 & 9 iron I could finesse though.

I’ve always played blades (Wilson Staff from 78-98 when they got swiped from my truck; Callaway Bobby Jones since). I’m too cheap to buy new clubs.

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017
The Masters has begun. This is the best week in golf, hopefully the weather doesn't screw too much up this weekend.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just brutal ending for Spieth today. I have no idea how that putt lipped out like that. Good grief.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just brutal ending for Spieth today. I have no idea how that putt lipped out like that. Good grief.

Certainly one of the most likable players on the tour, but seems like he goes through spells when he struggles on some shorter putts.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

That was one of 2 birdie putts he had on the first 2 extra holes. The second one also grazed the lip of the cup. Razor close both times. Then Fitzpatrick put his 2nd shot inside a foot from the 3rd extra hole. That effectively ended it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.