Chicago: the death of a great American city

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bammer, Aug 10, 2020.

1. soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $18,601
    Ratings:
    +25,996 / -203
    Glad I got to see Chicago a few times years ago. Was at the CBOT last in 2011, and still think it’s one of the most unique downtown areas we have.

I know it’s fun to point and laugh at what some of these places like Chicago and NY have become because of policy. But I also recognize that it’s home or a place some spent a lot of their lives in, and it sucks to see what was once a great feat in architecture and building, now becoming a wasteland. I spent a quarter of my 20’s in NY and still visit at least once a year. Now I don’t know if I’ll ever even be there again. Truly sad.

Also, sorry about your loss Bammer.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator Well-Known Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $11,446
      Ratings:
      +18,712 / -119
      How do you think I feel?!?!?! We had to temporarily move to a cousins house in July 1967 when I was two months old, but I can't remember why! :dunno: :lol:

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Bring Back Mohamed, Slev and Assquish
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $57,041
      Ratings:
      +84,295 / -5,444
      Yes. Sorry, old friend.

• soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $18,601
        Ratings:
        +25,996 / -203
        Had to have something to do with taking someone else's beer.:lol:

My wife and I are good friends with a couple, where the husband's father moved the family down from Detroit when there was a shooting on their block like every day for a week. Had nothing to move to, and no job lined up. Just decided he wasn't going to see his family killed. Never been to Detroit, and don't know much about it. But I'm sure it's another example.

• NVGator

NVGator Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $7,465
          Ratings:
          +11,530 / -525
          I met my wife in NYC. Lived on the Upper Westside for 7 years after high school. Everywhere from 77th & Broadway, 86th & Columbus and last at 103rd & CPW. She was a west coast gal, I was from Florida. Really enjoyed our time there.

I had never been out west. She booked us a vacation to San Fran to San Luis Obispo to Lake Tahoe. I feel in love. We eventually loaded up our dog and stuff into a 10’ U-Haul and moved out west.

We haven’t been back since. We planned to do a trip for our 20 year anniversary and go big but we never pulled the trigger. Still haven’t been back since we left. Now, don’t think we ever will.

• RivalFlorida

RivalFlorida Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
          $115
          Ratings:
          +134 / -2
          [​IMG]

A nice family enjoying some reparations, probably to help feed the family.

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • List
          • Gatordiddy

Gatordiddy Well-Known Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $6,346
            Ratings:
            +9,490 / -80
            [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • List
            • Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $57,041
              Ratings:
              +84,295 / -5,444
              probably a huge loaf of bread.

• Gatordiddy

Gatordiddy Well-Known Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $6,346
                Ratings:
                +9,490 / -80
                I lived on 86th & Columbus in '91 and '92 when I worked in Midtown.
                Really enjoyed the neighborhood up there.
                Dinkins was the mayor and Times Square had not yet been Disney-fied.
                Even went to some Rangers, Knicks, Mets and Yankees games.
                It's a shame that the city has degenerated into what it is today.

• NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR Deep Behind Enemy Lines
                  Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                  $4,877
                  Ratings:
                  +5,168 / -463
                  I grew up in FL where almost everything was new but travel a lot and to see what has happened to:
                  SF
                  LA
                  Chicago
                  NY
                  Min/SP
                  St.Louis

It is sad.

Detroit was the wealthiest city in the 50's...now look.

The whole Orleans Parish is dumpster fire...Just ask Durty

Again America...wake the #$@% up...What do all these places have in common? DEM Cities. and now the DNC wants us to be Havana.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $7,603
                  Ratings:
                  +10,933 / -162
                  I can't help but feel I carry some of the blame for these riots, some level of shame for my white privilege.

Early in our marriage, I got sent to Minneapolis for work frequently, and took the wife up for a few nice weekends. We really enjoyed downtown.
                  Wife and I went to Chicago for our 5th Anniversary and loved it.
                  Wife and I went to San Fran for our 10th Anniversary and loved the parts we went to (obviously avoiding the bad parts).

Here we are years later, and every place our white privilege allowed us to play tourist is now over run, destroyed, and a general sht-hole. I'm sorry, America.

Btw, our next big anniverary trip is supposed to be Glacier National Park. I can't see BLM uprisings occurring there afterward, but perhaps climate change fear-mongering will follow us there.

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • List
                  • soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $18,601
                    Ratings:
                    +25,996 / -203
                    Nice story. I managed to maintain a Florida residency despite being asked to officially relocate there many times. But two companies had standing rooms for me on the East side, 48th and then 52nd, where I spent about one week a month. I'm really happy to have the memories that I do have because it was a lot of fun over that decade or so. As I said, I still go back annually, and also for special occasions(10 year anniversary in '18). My kids love it and it's a part of our family. But what kills me is that even as recent as mid February this year, we walked with the kids and my mom for probably the first 15-20 blocks back to midtown from dinner in Greenwich Village at like 10:30 with zero concern. Another night, the two of us were out in downtown and the East Village bar hopping until crazy late, again with no worry. I feel like with this movement being allowed to breach south of 110th and now taking over places like midtown, with DeBlasio actively encouraging it, along with fewer officers on the streets, that will all change. Even the tourists that do go will have a completely different view of roaming the city, especially after sundown. And it's all so unnecessary.

• divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $10,859
                      Ratings:
                      +20,653 / -142
                      :facepalm:

Perhaps one day you will learn that liberal run cities always eventually turn into $h!tholes. Perhaps.....but probably not.

• Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $57,041
                        Ratings:
                        +84,295 / -5,444
                        Mehhh they did this to themselves.

before this, not too many people knew that the locals call Minneapolis "Little Mogadishu".

Crackumbus Ohio is similar, with only a slightly smaller population.

• GatorFL

GatorFL Well-Known Member
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $1,370
                        Ratings:
                        +1,418 / -55
                        Thanks, we actually got the word on that trip that we don't have to go back. She's cured. Just in time it seems.

We were referred to Lurie by Dr Reggie Gonzalez-Peralta at UF. Kid had a rare liver defect and the best guy in the county is Dr Riccardo Superina at Lurie. She had Rex shunt surgery 6 years ago.

Chicago has been a bit part of our life for a long time, we even lived at Ronald McDonald House on Grand Avenue for 2 months. Got to meet the ace pitcher for the White Sox. Dinners all over. Saw all the sites. We will miss it but it is not the same anymore.

• Bammer

Bammer Serving up sh*t sandwiches
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $2,943
                          Ratings:
                          +6,294 / -103
                          It's not the same city I moved to in November 2007. Daley was an absolute scuzball who cared only about lining his pockets, but he knew that the city needed to be clean and safe to become world class. What is going on now is sad. There will be another round of white flight to the 'burbs or out of Illinois. No tax base. No money to spend. Bigger problems. Round and round she goes!

I'll be out of here by next June at the latest. I'm tired of seeing business windows boarded up because 1. people are scared sh**less of peaceful protesters 2. no one can afford the rent.

There was an article in yesterday's Tribune that businesses down in the Loop / Gold Coast are finally questioning what the f*** they are actually doing by having a business there. I thought Chicago was too well positioned to become another Detroit. Alas, here we are.

• Windy City Gator

BANNED

Oxbucks:
                            $1,181
                            Ratings:
                            +1,305 / -322
                            I read that article too....the gold coast and the loop used to be safe...not so much anymore. Completely sucks because Chicago used to be great. Not so much anymore, not until Foxx and Lightfoot are out of office and actually take crime seriously.

I had an idea for you after reading about Montrose Beach being closed but protests are allowed. Next time you go to Montrose Beach to read, bring a sign that says "Practicing my 1st Amendment Rights" and then Lightfoot shouldnt have an issue with you. :)

• Bammer

Bammer Serving up sh*t sandwiches
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $2,943
                              Ratings:
                              +6,294 / -103
                              You planning on sticking it out here, or moving at some point?

• Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $7,341
                              Ratings:
                              +11,998 / -933
                              IMO these Mayor's in places like Chicago, NY, Seattle, Portland and such are going all in that Biden wins the election and bails them out with fed money.….there really isn't a winning situation(in the next 10 years) in these cities....If Biden wins they get money but it ends up in the wrong hands(see Baltimore)…..If Trump wins they get nothing and refuse Fed help(National Guard) and they will continue to pull money from sources they shouldn't, like PD. Riots will continue for the next 4 years...

So your choices are basically watch your city burn...….or watch it slowly crumble and fester....

• soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $18,601
                                Ratings:
                                +25,996 / -203
                                I just found out yesterday that the Omni Berkshire Place at 52nd and Madison in NYC, which was my second home for more than a decade, officially closed their doors last month. Beautiful hotel(originally built in 1926), that had been a gem of midtown east since the late 90s, done and boarded up. I actually stay in occasional contact with one of the doormen, and a bartender, both of whom had over 20 years there. But between Covid, the way Deblasio encouraged the BLM protests and police defunding, and then his recent push to put sick homeless people in these luxury hotels so they can social distance, it's completely destroying an icon of tourism and ending careers of hardworking people. Absolute travesty what people like he and Lightfoot have done. They belong in a cell, both of them.