BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Interesting read about Chip Kelly being available

Chip Kelly's availability will loom over every hot-seat coach in 2017

http://gridironnow.com/chip-kelly-hot-seat-coaches-2017/

Chip Kelly currently is unemployed.

As long as he doesn’t get another head-coaching job, his availability is bad news for several SEC coaches, namely Florida’s Jim McElwain, Tennessee’s Butch Jones, Texas A&M’s Kevin Sumlin and Auburn’s Gus Malzahn, as well as a handful of coaches in other leagues.

Let’s start with Florida.

Yes, McElwain has won the SEC East twice in his first two years. But the offense remains a problem. The Gators did close the season strong with a 30-3 win over Iowa in the Outback Bowl on Monday. The score was a bit misleading, though, from an offensive perspective, as the Gators managed just 11 first downs.

RELATED: Florida gets needed win with Outback Bowl rout of Iowa
RELATED: Florida hasn’t been able to escape QB woes in post-Tebow era

McElwain should be safe. He’s done enough in his first two years to warrant Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin giving him a fourth even if the Gators don’t take a step forward next fall.

But the Kelly factor is strong. San Francisco fired Kelly after a 2-14 season on Sunday, but he remains a brilliant offensive mind.

Kelly left Oregon after the 2012 season for the Philadelphia Eagles. Remember how good the Ducks were under his guidance? Oregon averaged 44.7 points per game in the Kelly Era. His final team in 2012 went 12-1 and averaged 49.6 points a game. The Ducks led the nation in 25-yard pass plays with 220 under Kelly. Want balance? They also led the nation in 25-yard rushing plays with 110.

That kind of explosiveness is Florida’s identity as a program, forged in championship seasons under Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer.

The NFL didn’t exactly humble Kelly, either. His first two Eagles teams went 10-6. Kelly’s tenure failed when he demanded control of the roster and made some bad decisions. His offenses in Philadelphia had the following rank in total yardage: second, fifth and 12th.

Kelly walked into a horror show in San Francisco. The 49ers still managed to finish fourth in the NFL in rushing yards, despite their awful season. They got worse by firing Kelly after one year, but owner Jed York fired general manager Trent Baalke and wanted a clean slate in 2017.

Imagine Kelly installing his offense with the athletes he can recruit at Florida.
Florida fans certainly will be if Kelly remains out of football and the Gators are subpar on offense again under McElwain.

The Gators finished the season ranked 107th in the country in scoring offense at 23.9 points a game. That can’t happen again.

As for Butch Jones, he might have the whole “champions of life” thing down, but Kelly is a champion of the end zone. Of the four coaches mentioned above, Jones might be in the most precarious position next season.

He’s just 9-7 in the SEC in the past two seasons despite having had the best roster in the East during that time. Jones lost to Vanderbilt and South Carolina this season, which was supposed to be “The Year” for the Volunteers. Now, stars such as Josh Dobbs and Derek Barnett are heading to the NFL.

RELATED: Butch Jones’ honeymoon is over; can he re-light the flame?

The Volunteers have the recruiting resources Kelly would need, but it’s fair to question the base. Kelly isn’t known as a dynamic recruiter. At Tennessee, you must win “road” recruiting battles, where a prospect has to fly over a power program to get to you. Certainly, offensive skill players will be drawn to his scheme. But Kelly would work best in a richer recruiting area.

Oregon doesn’t produce much talent, but Kelly was an attractive option for California prospects.

The Auburn and Texas A&M situations can be lumped together. Both run offenses that would make for a smooth transition. There wouldn’t be a culture shock going from Malzahn’s and Sumlin’s attacks to Kelly’s.

RELATED: Texas Bowl a disappointing end to a disappointing season for Texas A&M

Both rosters are stocked with athletes that would fit what Kelly wants to do. And Auburn and Texas A&M are great schools to recruit to because of their location and resources.

The SEC is a constant arms race in football. Kelly is a nuclear weapon. As long as he remains on the market, expect his name to be floated as a potential replacement everywhere – and SEC heavyweights falling short of their standards could end up in a heated battle to land his services.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Kelly hasn't won anything. His offense in the NFL has been a failure and it appears he is all in the NFL toilet bowl money.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
My point exactly. If you're going to get rid of Mac then go for a coach that is more suited to be a home run. Someone who has won something

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We may have to out bid Tenn to get him if Mac doesnt turn things around.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
My point exactly. If you're going to get rid of Mac then go for a coach that is more suited to be a home run. Someone who has won something
:facepalm:

Kelly would be a MASSIVE home run hire. Did you read the article?

Remember how good the Ducks were under his guidance? Oregon averaged 44.7 points per game in the Kelly Era. His final team in 2012 went 12-1 and averaged 49.6 points a game. The Ducks led the nation in 25-yard pass plays with 220 under Kelly. Want balance? They also led the nation in 25-yard rushing plays with 110.

You don't think that would have a rather large impact on recruiting? If UF lets him go to UT we're all going to be sorry.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And yet.... They didn't win a damn thing
So who are you looking for? Saban? Meyer? How about Bob Stoops? Or would you prefer NC coaches like Miles, Chizik, or Coker? We may even be able to get someone who has "won something" like Butch Davis.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Hey may not have won the natty but he came close and won the conference multiple times at least. There are only what like 5 active head coaches and maybe two coordinators that have won a natty. I count stoops, Sabin, Meyer, Fisher, and Davis. Who am I missing

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
It's going to be at least 6 years since he last coached a college game. A lifetime in this game now. His offense that was so innovative and exciting then is old fashions and evolved from there.

cornbread

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's going to be at least 6 years since he last coached a college game. A lifetime in this game now. His offense that was so innovative and exciting then is old fashions and evolved from there
macs looks like he has never coached offense in a college game

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's going to be at least 6 years since he last coached a college game. A lifetime in this game now. His offense that was so innovative and exciting then is old fashions and evolved from there.
This is really silly. Please don't act like you think Kelly wouldn't turn our offense around immediately. I don't even like the guy and I despise option offenses. There are certainly questions about him, recruiting and defense for sure, but he would end our nightmare of our 2 yards and a cloud of dust immediately. That isn't even a question.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So who are you looking for? Saban? Meyer? How about Bob Stoops? Or would you prefer NC coaches like Miles, Chizik, or Coker? We may even be able to get someone who has "won something" like Butch Davis.
It's not about who's preferred...it's about who we'll get. We ain't getting Chip.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hey may not have won the natty but he came close and won the conference multiple times at least. There are only what like 5 active head coaches and maybe two coordinators that have won a natty. I count stoops, Sabin, Meyer, Fisher, and Davis. Who am I missing

Agree. Anyone who thinks we're getting a proven P5 coach is nuts. With the buyouts in these contracts it's nearly impossible to pull a big name.

Anyone saying "he hasn't won anything" is crazy. He won the P12. Wake the F up! WE ARE NOT GETTING A COACH WHO HAS WON A NATIONAL TITLE. So what is there after a National Championship? Hello....a CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP!

I've heard Justin Fuente's name mentioned in other threads. That is so stupid it's almost funny. So let me get this right: He left Memphis....and had a solid first season at VT and he's going to leave there for UF? Why? Please, please, please tell me why and make it convincing!

Kelly would be a homerun hire as big as anyone not named Meyer or Saban.

The only coach - realistically - that I'd prefer right now is Harsin at Boise (and those Boise coaches have never won big once they left Boise. Peterson just had a good season....and got curb stomped by Alabama). So, again getting Kelly would be a GRAND SLAM.

But with all that said, I doubt he'd come to UF. I'd expect to see him back in the P12.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
This is really silly. Please don't act like you think Kelly wouldn't turn our offense around immediately. I don't even like the guy and I despise option offenses. There are certainly questions about him, recruiting and defense for sure, but he would end our nightmare of our 2 yards and a cloud of dust immediately. That isn't even a question.
My concern and point is not that the offense will improve and I agree Kelly should improve any offense but rather the coach would bring us titles. Big picture there is enough questions that he is not a slam dunk winner for a coach in my opinion

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. Anyone who thinks we're getting a proven P5 coach is nuts. With the buyouts in these contracts it's nearly impossible to pull a big name.
We can pay to hire a competent coach. I know we haven't in the past, but that AD is gone. There is no rule against it, or a rule that only allows Bammer, Meatchicken, and CUMeyes only to do it.

And one more thing, it's stupid not to do it. We have wasted probably a 100 million dollars between paying stupid salaries to bad HCs and lost revenue from empty seats and merchandise that don't sell just off the last two HC contracts alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator