Chip Kelly fired....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We can pay to hire a competent coach. I know we haven't in the past, but that AD is gone. There is no rule against it, or a rule that only allows Bammer, Meatchicken, and CUMeyes only to do it.

And one more thing, it's stupid not to do it. We have wasted probably a 100 million dollars between paying stupid salaries to bad HCs and lost revenue from empty seats and merchandise that don't sell just off the last two HC contracts alone.

Okay, Law, I'll play along.

Who do we go after, what do we pay them, and how much of a buyout is not too much?

I'm sure VT protected themselves when they hired Fuente. But what has he done? He won a few years at Memphis and had one solid, not great year at VT.

We ain't getting Swinney, Meyer, Saban, Fisher, Stoops, Peterson, etc.

Who's out there that we want?

My preference is a guy like Harsin, Fleck, or a Jeff Brohm....but those guys are either long shots or just took bigger jobs and may be hard to lure.

We missed out on some top coaches in the last two cycles (2015 & 2016 off-seasons).

It's going to cost us a TON if we fire McElwain and bring in a bigger name coach (i.e. a proven P5 coach). McElwain's buyout, plus the staff buyout, plus the new coaches buyout....and the new coaches salary, which likely comes w/ a big bump for assistants. $40 million?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who do we go after, what do we pay them, and how much of a buyout is not too much?
I don't know. We didn't think Harbaugh or Saban were available when they were hired. A top AD finds out which of those guys are available and makes it happen. To act like we can't hire a P5 coach at all is silly.

It's going to cost us a TON if we fire McElwain and bring in a bigger name coach (i.e. a proven P5 coach). McElwain's buyout, plus the staff buyout, plus the new coaches buyout....and the new coaches salary, which likely comes w/ a big bump for assistants. $40 million?
The coach salaries are at the most 2 years long. I know Nord and Summers both expire this year. Everyone else expires next year, I think.

The HC should have a buyout but knowing that Fooley practiced professional negligence in every contract, it is at most 12 mil (4 mil x 3 more years). That is the cost of a couple of half empty stadiums for us. There will be plenty of those next year unless the offense looks completely different.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Okay, Law, I'll play along.

I'm sure VT protected themselves when they hired Fuente. But what has he done? He won a few years at Memphis and had one solid, not great year at VT.

We ain't getting Swinney, Meyer, Saban, Fisher, Stoops, Peterson, etc.

Who's out there that we want?

My preference is a guy like Harsin, Fleck, or a Jeff Brohm....but those guys are either long shots or just took bigger jobs and may be hard to lure.

We missed out on some top coaches in the last two cycles (2015 & 2016 off-seasons).

This is why we need to hope and pray Mac can figure it out. Changing coaches every 3 years sucks and if we did spend 40 million we still have no guarantees.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you hire some shytty Chimp or Butters at 4 mil a year, then have to fire them every four years and pay both for multiple years, are you really "saving money" over hiring a top coach?

We pay Chimp and Butters more than Bammer pays Saban. THAT IS FVKKING INSANE AND PROFESSIONALLY INCOMPETENCE.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I dont see him as a Florida guy. I suppose money could sway him but I will stick to my original position.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I don't know. We didn't think Harbaugh or Saban were available when they were hired. A top AD finds out which of those guys are available and makes it happen. To act like we can't hire a P5 coach at all is silly.

The coach salaries are at the most 2 years long. I know Nord and Summers both expire this year. Everyone else expires next year, I think.

The HC should have a buyout but knowing that Fooley practiced professional negligence in every contract, it is at most 12 mil (4 mil x 3 more years). That is the cost of a couple of half empty stadiums for us. There will be plenty of those next year unless the offense looks completely different.

So as usual no firm answer to the actual question other than I don't know. The AD does not know much more than we do, so he does not know either.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Let me be clear that I think the odds of Florida pursuing Kelly, even if Mac was fired, are 1 in 246,478,821. It just makes too much sense and that's not the strong suit of management. Perhaps this new AD will turn out to be worth a damn but I'm not holding my breath.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We all want the right guy. I just dont see him out there.
Plenty of people didn't think SOS was the right guy (no defense) or that CUM could do it in the big leagues with his funky offense. The great ones eventually hire a Stoops or manage to win with great STs and good defense as CUM did.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don't even like Dabo and even I would bust a nut if he was hired. I'm desperate to have a real team again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator