Status
Not open for further replies.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I dont see him as a Florida guy. I suppose money could sway him but I will stick to my original position.
What would be out there that would be better than Florida?

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I think recruits would flock to Florida if Kelly were our coach. Thats all that matters. Without the recruits it doesn't matter who is calling the shots. Bama was a dumpster fire in Sabans first year....he didn't have the recruits.....YET. If Kelly could bring annual top 5 classes back to Florida you damn well know we would be in the title hunt talk every year again.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't even like Dabo and even I would bust a nut if he was hired. I'm desperate to have a real team again.
I know well our history of being mediocre but most of that was written when Florida had almost no population ( before air conditioners, drained swamps and Disney) and we were smaller than Mississippi and Alabama.

I never imagined that we could be this bad for such a sustained period or that the Gator Nation would tolerate mediocre coaches and a negligent AD who would allow us to get here.

Last edited:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Link?

I say he will be the HC of the Gators.

I disagree, but I predict if he does end up back in college, it will be at a school that will be a thorn in our side. Don't get me wrong, I think he would be an awesome fit, but it ain't happening. I think Mac gets a fourth year even with a 6-6 record, by then Kelly will be snatched up for sure. I just hope he stays in the NFL.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Okay, Law, I'll play along.

Who do we go after, what do we pay them, and how much of a buyout is not too much?

I'm sure VT protected themselves when they hired Fuente. But what has he done? He won a few years at Memphis and had one solid, not great year at VT.

We ain't getting Swinney, Meyer, Saban, Fisher, Stoops, Peterson, etc.

Who's out there that we want?

My preference is a guy like Harsin, Fleck, or a Jeff Brohm....but those guys are either long shots or just took bigger jobs and may be hard to lure.

We missed out on some top coaches in the last two cycles (2015 & 2016 off-seasons).

It's going to cost us a TON if we fire McElwain and bring in a bigger name coach (i.e. a proven P5 coach). McElwain's buyout, plus the staff buyout, plus the new coaches buyout....and the new coaches salary, which likely comes w/ a big bump for assistants. $40 million?

What about James Franklin at Penn State. He did well at Vandy and I know he left some skeletons there, but we could give him a 0 tolerance policy here. He would kill it in recruiting and his offense would be exciting. The only thing about him is I've read on a few message boards that his goal is to land a NFL head coaching job, don't know if that true or not but I would take him in a second.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
The buzz around a Kelly hire would be palpable. Can't believe people would actually reject the notion that he'd turn this program around. It would be a slam dunk hire.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What about James Franklin at Penn State. He did well at Vandy and I know he left some skeletons there, but we could give him a 0 tolerance policy here. He would kill it in recruiting and his offense would be exciting. The only thing about him is I've read on a few message boards that his goal is to land a NFL head coaching job, don't know if that true or not but I would take him in a second.

Unrealistic hire. Why not go after Urban? Franklin ain't leaving there unless he's fired, plus he's from Pennsylvania.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I'm not a fan of him, but he's going to be the only splashy hire we have a chance at. We will have a small shot at lower power 5 schools and the most likely option of non power 5 coaches. Besides that is the coordinator route again and we all know how that works out.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A chance to beat the **** out of the SEC with Florida athletes? Why do you think the job is so unattractive?
Its funny bc this is where the pumpers are the real negators on this aspect. They see our program as average therefore are satisfied with average coaches and average results. Out of 128 fbs programs, about 125 would like to be the flagship program in either Florida, Texas or Cali. The rest have to come here to Fla, rely on us having an incompetent staff, and steal enough talent to compete.

This will be an attractive job to 95 percent of the coaches once we fix 25 years of facilities decay. We (should) have inherent recruiting advantages that most of the others schools can only dream about. Given the right AD, this should be a dream job for coaches.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Unrealistic hire. Why not go after Urban? Franklin ain't leaving there unless he's fired, plus he's from Pennsylvania.
Right. We arent taking coaches from Meatchicken OSU Pedo State, Clemson Clowns, Texass, Oklahomie, USCW, ND, Corndogs, or ATMs. Those arent stepping stone jobs. Most (but not all) other coaches should be on the menu potentially.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

B.S. Penn st is a private school, we could out bid them in a second if we choose to. He could kill it at UF and u and swamp donkey know it. He's the only realistic homerun hire we could get. He's the best get out there that we can get.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Right. We arent taking coaches from Meatchicken OSU Pedo State, Clemson Clowns, Texass, Oklahomie, USCW, ND, Corndogs, or ATMs. Those arent stepping stone jobs. Most (but not all) other coaches should be on the menu potentially.

Ok who do you suggest? All those places have better coaches than we do. If we have the $$ that we always hear about then we should be able to snatch any of those coaches.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What makes you think this job will be open next year? I have a feeling Mac wins enough games to stay another year.
If Foley was still the man, I would agree with you. Stricklin is the wild card here. He may want to put his stamp on the program, and has no loyalty to Mac.

Of course, with Foley right down the hall probably hanging over his shoulder, it's a long shot.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What makes you think this job will be open next year? I have a feeling Mac wins enough games to stay another year.

I am starting to get a bad feeling it may take 5 losses for them to even consider getting rid of Mac if this stuff doesn't change.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
B.S. Penn st is a private school, we could out bid them in a second if we choose to. He could kill it at UF and u and swamp donkey know it. He's the only realistic homerun hire we could get. He's the best get out there that we can get.
Penn State started out private but is a public university now.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Ok who do you suggest? All those places have better coaches than we do. If we have the $$ that we always hear about then we should be able to snatch any of those coaches.

Perhaps I am incorrect but for people already making say 2m per year more money is not that much of a motivator. And if they are at a school that they like they can and will match whatever UF could pay.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Penn "STATE" is not a private school.(the "state" stands for "State University"). And you all of a sudden think we're getting into a bidding war w/ another bigtime P5 school?

If we land a P5 coach it's going to be from one of the lesser schools in a conference such as a Kentucky, Wake Forest, Washington State, Purdue, Indiana, Kansas, etc. We aren't grabbing a bigger coach. We tried that w/ Bob Stoops.

Like I said earlier, a coach like Jeff Brohm, Brian Harsin, or PJ Fleck fits the bill....but those guys may be out of reach in the next year or two. So, a similar type coach. I understand why Foley went after McElwain, but we tried the Saban experiment w/ Muschamp (hiring a former Saban guy) and it failed. Why try it again? Plus McElwain is well into his 50's. I would have preferred we went after one of those younger guys who had a more proven head coaching record than McElwain did (who had literally 1 good season).

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Penn "STATE" is not a private school.(the "state" stands for "State University"). And you all of a sudden think we're getting into a bidding war w/ another bigtime P5 school?

If we land a P5 coach it's going to be from one of the lesser schools in a conference such as a Kentucky, Wake Forest, Washington State, Purdue, Indiana, Kansas, etc. We aren't grabbing a bigger coach. We tried that w/ Bob Stoops.

Like I said earlier, a coach like Jeff Brohm, Brian Harsin, or PJ Fleck fits the bill....but those guys may be out of reach in the next year or two. So, a similar type coach. I understand why Foley went after McElwain, but we tried the Saban experiment w/ Muschamp (hiring a former Saban guy) and it failed. Why try it again? Plus McElwain is well into his 50's. I would have preferred we went after one of those younger guys who had a more proven head coaching record than McElwain did (who had literally 1 good season).
We are Florida. We beat Notre Dame for Urban Meyer. We can and will out bid people. The question is does Stricklin want to be a powerhouse or is he happy with 8-5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator