Chip Kelly to UCLA: $4 Mil/Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huddersfield

Nov 10, 2017
Kinda what I said above... the stigma of over promising and under delivering on facilities has been a constant.... at least Mac convince the to get a full sized IPF... they were planning something like 70 yds
That's the UAA not investing in their main revenue generating sport which is stupid. No way to run a busines.
I understand Title 9 and other requirements but you have to take care of the sport that pays 75% of the bills first instead of trying to show that your better than the other "football factory" schools and smarter than the other AD's.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
So much fun spending other people’s money.... Don’t worry. They’re doing that at Tennessee and Nebraska, too.
Most of the money comes from the TV contracts, Beer companies advertise on the contracted channels, I'm drinking lots of said beers, so I certainly feel I'm doing my part and should have a say.

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
I give you like when I agree with you a dislike when I don't . It is what it is.

I recognize the need for secrecy in your profession. And I bet SS wishes he had that now. But for heaven's sake, everyone knew ahead of time who our targets were. We knew ahead of time that they were going to take a run at Kelly. And they went to lengths to fly out of Ocala. But you had a media pool trying to scoop anything. And they managed to track his flight.
it's all good. Like I said in another post, I have gone from basically observing quietly for years to trying to becoming a member that adds value to the forum. Hindsight is 20/20 and one of my favorite phrases I try to live by is "I either win or learn" and I hope that SS has a similar approach. I have commented enough on this topic, trying to provide different angles to consider from the apparel deal side of things to the ways to structure an employment contract without violating pre-existing clauses. I think it is best I stand down at this point until I have something of value to add otherwise I am just contributing to the noise. Have a great Thanksgiving and Go Gators.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Nebraska-Tennessee can have him for 6-6.5M. That would make him the fourth highest paid coach in college football with less than two years' experience.

I can't be in that camp.
Exactly the attitude that got us where we currently are. I'm sure Foley would agree. Hopefully SS sees the bigger picture.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This reeks of Foley interference. I don't think you can waive off the rumors that he was against this hire. This hire is the anti-Foley.

No a Kelly hire is EXACTLY Foley. What would make Foley look the worst in this hire. The answer is Stricklin hiring the next big thing in college football ala Frost or even more so Norvell and having him do great. Foley after failing with Zook, Muschamp and McElwain would not want Stricklin succeeding where he, Foley, failed. So Foley is likely pushing Stricklin to hire an established name like Kelly where Stricklin gets little credit for the hire and Foley gets little shade falling on him.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Suggestion:

If we do get Chip Kelly as I expect/hope will happen by Monday. Every poster who repeatedly and emphatically said it's over and isn't happening (among many other comments), should have their avatar raffled off. The winner gets to pick their avatar until the first game of 2018

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of people are bashing Stricklin, but I think he is the only reason we have a chance with hiring Kelly right now. A lot of Kelly's demands (salary, facilities, etc.) need Board of Trustees and other committees within the UAA approval. I suspect Stricklin is trying to sell these guys in giving Kelly what he wants just as much as he is trying to convince Kelly into coming here.

I also don't think Kelly has made up his mind yet. I think he was ready to come to Florida, but then UCLA gave him a really good offer that anyone in their right mind would at least consider. I don't blame Kelly for wanting to think this through before he makes this huge decision, and I hope the higher ups at UF are willing to adjust their end of the bargain so that coaching at UF is too good to pass up on.

We'll see what happens, but I still think Kelly will be a Gator.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just choked on my bourbon. Which one of our guys said that? Was that Tabor or Wilson? What a tire fire that game was.That was absolutely the perfect comment.
What ya drinking?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
We all love SOS but you have to be crazy to think he has what it takes to be a successful HC at this point.

Absolutely, quite a moral victory. Jolly good show Mr Stricklin!

Did you happen to notice the word "interim" at the end of the sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.