Chip Kelly to UCLA: $4 Mil/Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It's out there, Chief. It's fact we way outstrip them in revenue.

Revenue means nothing, a wealthy individual is rumored to be the source of whatever it might take, I have heard of no Gator fan saying such. And of course you can borrow money that we won't. So revenue or even surplus means nothing here, it is all about how much risk you want to take, and how wealthy boosters might pay up.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
What what I have read about Chip Kelly is that he is a total iconoclast. Nobody knows what is going into his decision making process. It might just come down to something along the lines of whom he likes the best -- Stricklin or Guerrero or whatever the name of the UCLA AD is.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If UCLA has some super booster and Under Armor courting chip and are willing to pay some ridiculous deal the they can have him.

1. The guy is only worth so much. I think Chip is worth a lot, but either he wants to be here or not. I don’t think you get into a major bidding war form him.

2. I don’t think money is going to be the difference. These are two completely different jobs. Either he wants the pressure and challenge of a UF or he goes to UCLA to be a small fish in Cali. Nothing SS or anybody could do to change his mind if he chooses UCLA

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Revenue means nothing, a wealthy individual is rumored to be the source of whatever it might take, I have heard of no Gator fan saying such. And of course you can borrow money that we won't. So revenue or even surplus means nothing here, it is all about how much risk you want to take, and how wealthy boosters might pay up.

While that wealthy individual is at it, he might want to buy them a new football stadium. The Rose Bowl was built during the Roman Empire.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
While that wealthy individual is at it, he might want to buy them a new football stadium. The Rose Bowl was built during the Roman Empire.

You might be correct, but I think that facilities are way over rated in getting coaches or recruits. Sure it makes a difference, but a minor one. Maybe they share with the Rams???

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
There are five possible answers.
1. Signing did not happen and there was never any such document.
2. Signing did not happen, but we flew out because we pulled out all stops and became desperate.
3. Signing w/ an out clause did happen, and we flew out because we pulled out all stops and became desperate.
4. We expected to sign but CK changed his mind between accepting the meeting and attendance of meeting.

EDIT: 5. The contract is signed/locked up in secret.
Lou holtz had an out but only for notre Dame dating back to when he was at Arkansas. Sensible for both parties and not that unusual.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
If UCLA has some super booster and Under Armor courting chip and are willing to pay some ridiculous deal the they can have him.

1. The guy is only worth so much. I think Chip is worth a lot, but either he wants to be here or not. I don’t think you get into a major bidding war form him.

2. I don’t think money is going to be the difference. These are two completely different jobs. Either he wants the pressure and challenge of a UF or he goes to UCLA to be a small fish in Cali. Nothing SS or anybody could do to change his mind if he chooses UCLA
Small fish in Cali, whale in the Pac-10.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
facilities are way over rated in getting coaches or recruits
Wrong. It makes a huge difference to big time recruits who get their pick of the litter. When you have multiple big time coaches wanting your services, it ends up coming down to little things. Fit, feel, etc and having amazing facilities goes a long way to impressing and making these kids "feel" like THIS is the place!

I agree that it's not as much so for coaches, however, in kelly's situation specifically it actually is a big deal. He's a very unique guy and is big on metrics, processes, widgets, state of the art systems, etc. Things like facilities are very important to him, whereas they may not be as big a deal for other more traditionally minded coaches.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

Tim Tebow's take on Chip Kelly starts at about the 2:08 mark after his comments on the Auburn - Alabama game. Tebow might or might not know anymore about where Kelly is going than any of the rest of us do, but he does have street cred because he's Tim Tebow. Tim has his favorite. I won't say his name.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Doug Gottlieb filling in for Colin Cowherd today talking about Kelly and concerns about the pressure he would face in the SEC:
" the guy went 46-7 at Oregon. Do you really think he doesn't expect to win? He expects to win every game he coaches. He's not worried about pressure. He won 20 games his first two years at Philadelphia. The guy can coach and is not going to be intimidated by the SEC."

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014

Tim Tebow's take on Chip Kelly starts at about the 2:08 mark after his comments on the Auburn - Alabama game. Tebow might or might not know anymore about where Kelly is going than any of the rest of us do, but he does have street cred because he's Tim Tebow. Tim has his favorite. I won't say his name.

I am tired of the "Culture Fit" argument. It sounds like Foley all over again.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I like Tim, but he's just towing the ESPNSEC company line. To say that Dan Mullen is a culture fit at UF is asinine. He wasnt even a culture fit when meyer was here dragging his ass to titles. He sure as hell isnt a fit with his poor man's excuse for a heinz 57 offense and 2-18 record against ranked teams as an HC.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

To be frank I don't understand the "culture fit" argument in regards to Mullet. He's from New Hampshire the same as Chip Kelly. And his wife, as we all know, made disparaging remarks about UF. So why do people say CDM is a good "culture fit". He's certainly no "culture fit" in Starkville, but they like him at Cowbell because he is winning.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like Tim, but he's just towing the ESPNSEC company line. To say that Dan Mullen is a culture fit at UF is asinine. He wasnt even a culture fit when meyer was here dragging his ass to titles. He sure as hell isnt a fit with his poor man's excuse for a heinz 57 offense and 2-18 record against ranked teams as an HC.

Yep Tebow is crazy hyping Mullen but it was his OC so you can see why he did it.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

I am not tired of the "culture fit" talk, but that depends on what you mean by that. Mac surely was not a fit with a culture I would accept, he was way too arrogant in working with the AD team.

Working with boosters, and the academic side is also important. If the academic side made SOS apologize for comments in the past no HBC should think they are above academics. Lots of things about that fit.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

“Can’t let your motivation cripple your character”.

What a phenomenal quote by Tebow.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I am not tired of the "culture fit" talk, but that depends on what you mean by that. Mac surely was not a fit with a culture I would accept, he was way too arrogant in working with the AD team.

Working with boosters, and the academic side is also important. If the academic side made SOS apologize for comments in the past no HBC should think they are above academics. Lots of things about that fit.

You can have a bad fit if you are a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb