Chip Kelly to UCLA: $4 Mil/Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but it looks like you just contradicted yourself.

Edit: while supporting 78’s argument.
WellgroomedBaggyAmericanblackvulture-size_restricted.gif

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Completely wrong. If he was interested in the job he would want to come to Florida, you know like he flew to California. SS screwed the pooch but no one will change your mind so keep sticking with your straw man argument that he was in a no-win situation.
Brilliant of you to wait to admonish Stricklin until after the whole thing was done and Kelly had flown to UCLA.

One small problem. Stricklin was thrust into the position of having to decide how to approach it BEFORE Kelly showed the willingness to fly cross country.

So now I suppose you're going to argue in hindsight he should have sat back and allowed Kelly to make the move.

Don't you just love Monday morning pundits.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
The systemic stink throughout our beloved football program is a vial effect of Foleys ineppitude and cheapness. Driving from the game, listening to UA v Auburn on the radio, the ESPN announcers made fun of us. They gave the score then wondered out loud “Does UF still play football?”. Cut my balls. I about drove my car into Paines Prairie.

There is lethargy throughout. Sitting in the Bull Gator deck, a friend swapped tix because his kids wanted to sit down below, the old Bulls around me had no idea CK was gone. We were ten minutes into the game and they started talking about “when we hire Kelly”. WTF? They had no clue. They immediatly got on their phones to check. Its like everyone is tone death about the state of the program.

Friends I fear mediocrity has infected Gator Nation blood.

Our new coach may not be a tier one guy but he will be ours. We need to rally behind whomever it is.

We need to pull ourselves up now and pull together. Demand excellence and knock the shyt rust off our Gators! We must stop chasing ghosts, its been way too long and its way too exhausting. Send the whole UAA to the scrap pile if needed. Send Foley packing too! They better buy in! Keep the pressure on. Hold off on donations and buying tix until we see they are as committed as we are. Send emails. Stay positive though, talk it up back home but please we must stop bitching. The negativity has got to be expelled. The whole state is watching.

Go Gators!

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
If Kelly was far along in the process, like being oh so close to becoming the coach, like we were led to believe without ever setting foot on campus in Gainesville is beyond absurd. For us to fly a whole entourage up there without him at least visiting here first reeks of desperation.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but it looks like you just contradicted yourself.

Edit: while supporting 78’s argument.
We shouldn't have flown to NH with the whole team, we should have flown Kelly to Florida. If he couldn't be bothered to come meet with the AD then
Brilliant of you to wait to admonish Stricklin until after the whole thing was done and Kelly had flown to UCLA.

One small problem. Stricklin was thrust into the position of having to decide how to approach it BEFORE Kelly showed the willingness to fly cross country.

So now I suppose you're going to argue in hindsight he should have sat back and allowed Kelly to make the move.

Don't you just love Monday morning pundits.
We've already confirmed that you won't change your mind so not sure what you're hoping to prove at this point. You don't think it embarrassed the university to fly the entire crew including the President to Kelly only to be rejected. Most people do.

EADracing

Nov 13, 2017
im talking about the athletic dept you nitwit, not the pres. The UA office, ya know the one that has driven us right into a ditch? We all know Fuchs had zip to do with it. But it’s a national embarrassment to trot him out there for a grade A catfishing.

Nitwit:bwahaha:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
If Kelly was far along in the process, like being oh so close to becoming the coach, like we were led to believe without ever setting foot on campus in Gainesville is beyond absurd. For us to fly a whole entourage up there without him at least visiting here first reeks of desperation.
Exactly, but 78 seems to believe Kelly's position was "I want your job but don't fly (except for the 4-5 flights i take a week)."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We shouldn't have flown to NH with the whole team, we should have flown Kelly to Florida. If he couldn't be bothered to come meet with the AD then

We've already confirmed that you won't change your mind so not sure what you're hoping to prove at this point. You don't think it embarrassed the university to fly the entire crew including the President to Kelly only to be rejected. Most people do.
No I don't. It's Chip Kelly. You don't play coy. You let him know your level of interest, and only then do you know if it's mutual. You can always say no.

I admire how aggressive the Florida athletic director was. He left it all on the playing field..

No different than running the ball on fourth-and-2. If you come up short, you're a bum. If you convert, you're a f*cking genius.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Could not agree more. Just because he went with another school, does not mean he took the easy road. It could be he took the road that offered him more money for staff, more freedom to pick his staff, better facilities and an overall higher level of commitment to building a winning football program.

We are not the Florida everyone in these forums believes we are. We are Stanford. The UF AAU has chosen to be good at a lot of things and great at a few things where the competition is not as stiff and facilities aren’t that important. In regards to football, we have chosen to be a program that is just good enough to drive enough revenue to pay for the other sports we want to be great in a la’ basketball, baseball, and various women’s sports but we do not have the vision and commitment to be elite in football any longer.

The Florida AAU has made decision after decision to pursue trophies like the Champions Cup given to the best overall collegiate sports program which means no elite commitment to any one sport within the program. This effort requires a lot of money and commitment be redirect from football to other, less popular sports. To deny this is to refuse to see the obvious move made by foley over his tenure as AD. Remember SOS was not hired by Foley and UM was not Foley’s choice either but was a demand of Machen, the UF President.

I don’t see this move to a more diverse athletic program being reversed anytime soon and as much as we may hate butters, he was experiencing it day in and day out and probably realized that he was never going to have the facilities or commitment from the AAU to win big.

So we can't excel in academics and football. We can have a diverse sports program and still excel in football. As a matter of fact, it's not Mac's fault he didn't pick better assistants or recruit better, it's the UAA and the administration. Got it!

Pardon me while I put on my hip waders.

Bad coaching hires is the only reason the UF football program is in the shape it is; not our academics or sports diversity. And I'll remind you of a historical parallel. Bama went thru a similar series of bad coaching choices between Gene Stallings and Nick Saban. The right hire fixes everything.

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
Bama would still be in the stinker if Saban had not come aboard. One proper hire can fix a lot of things. McElwain was just too stubborn to make changes or just didn't really know how to coach. He didn't even know how to keep his guys in check. The right guy will know football, make good football decisions and hold his players accountable both on and off the field.

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
So we can't excel in academics and football. We can have a diverse sports program and still excel in football. As a matter of fact, it's not Mac's fault he didn't pick better assistants or recruit better, it's the UAA and the administration. Got it!

Pardon me while I put on my hip waders.

Bad coaching hires is the only reason the UF football program is in the shape it is; not our academics or sports diversity. And I'll remind you of a historical parallel. Bama went thru a similar series of bad coaching choices between Gene Stallings and Nick Saban. The right hire fixes everything.
Please explain how bad coaching has contributed to our lack of focus on maintaining premiere, elite SEC facilities. If you agree they are lacking, please explain how a top 5 revenue producing program would allow that to happen? I never said anything about academics, but do you see Alabama having a top 10 Lacrosse, Gymnastic, soccer, volleyball, basketball, baseball programs? No you don’t. Why, because the reinvest in there football program every year rather than diverting funds to non revenue sports to the level we do.

Come on man, this is not hard to figure out. Just cause you don’t like it, doesn’t me it ain’t true.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
If you think I'm supporting 78 then you are definitely misunderstanding.

By your own words, how could SS screw the pooch if CK wasn’t truly interested in UF? If the latter, then there was nothing SS could do to change that.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Bama would still be in the stinker if Saban had not come aboard. One proper hire can fix a lot of things. McElwain was just too stubborn to make changes or just didn't really know how to coach. He didn't even know how to keep his guys in check. The right guy will know football, make good football decisions and hold his players accountable both on and off the field.

Helps when the right guy is a previous NC winning coach in the top conference in college FB, combined with the schools total commitment to the FB program

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Please explain how bad coaching has contributed to our lack of focus on maintaining premiere, elite SEC facilities. If you agree they are lacking, please explain how a top 5 revenue producing program would allow that to happen? I never said anything about academics, but do you see Alabama having a top 10 Lacrosse, Gymnastic, soccer, volleyball, basketball, baseball programs? No you don’t. Why, because the reinvest in there football program every year rather than diverting funds to non revenue sports to the level we do.

Come on man, this is not hard to figure out. Just cause you don’t like it, doesn’t me it ain’t true.

You compared us to Stanford. The comparison would include both academics and sports.

I live in Alabama with a son going to Bama and a daughter at Ole Miss. My wife's family are Auburn fans. And I can tell you from personal observations that all three schools invest heavily in those other sports programs. As a matter of fact, a few weeks back I attended a UF-Ole Miss volleyball game in Oxford while visiting my daughter. I was impressed that Ole Miss has their own stand alone volleyball facility. And Bama is trying to build theie academic credentials by recruiting high caliber out-of-state students. The give them full rides. Actually ticks me off as an Alabama resident that they spend so much on out of state students.

Yes the facilities are subpar. It is my understanding there is a plan in place to address that. Yes, should of been done sooner. But I do not believe that facilities are the reason the football program is down. The program is down due three atrocious hires by Foley that were not ready to run a program like UF's.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I heard from a reliable source that Fuchs really wanted Kelly, but after Stricklin interviewed him once he told Fuchs that Kelly seemed a little off. That's why they all boarded the plane to go up and see Kelly in person. He was living in a dungeon eating cheetos and greeted them at the door wearing some sort of suit that appeared to be made out of human skin from several different donors. Anyway, after showing our officials around the urine jar room and a quick discussion about his toenail collection, Kelly said he'd actually pay us to come coach in Gainesville, mainly because we have such hot co-eds but also because there are lots of dense woods nearby.

Well evidently this is where Stricklin blew it because rather than taking Kelly up on his generous offer on the spot, he and Fuchs agreed that they would need to think about it for at least a day. Mainly I think there were worried that Kelly might be a vegan. In any event, after they got back to hogtown, they decided they could live with a few warts and decided to take Kelly up on the deal but by that time he wasn't answering his phone any more, having switched from Sprint to Verizon because everyone knows Sprint sucks ass out in the three-one-oh.

The signs were all there fellas. The writing was on the wall. We don't know much, but one thing we know for sure is that we screwed the pooch royally, especially seeing as how its almost 11pm ET on final Saturday and we still don't have a coach despite the fact that every other possible candidate for the position has been done coaching football for hours now, except those on the west coast.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
im talking about the athletic dept you nitwit, not the pres. The UA office, ya know the one that has driven us right into a ditch? We all know Fuchs had zip to do with it. But it’s a national embarrassment to trot him out there for a grade A catfishing.

You don't have to get nasty about it. And as far as the UAA, Muschamp and Mac were not Stricklin's calls (well, you know that). He is going to have to work real hard to get the football ship righted. The rest of UF athletics are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator