Chris Doering was almost a Nole!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Began? Past tense? You have a new name now? Took your wife's name?
:law: has got that grammar rammar ooooh aaaah.........I was talking about the past (school days) when your roll was taken and from 1-12 my name was at the top. But you probably got me on that one. But you gotta admit I NAILED him on Doering's big catches.........with my history lesson on stats.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They should have put an asterisk on Willie Mays 660. If he played anywhere but Candlestick he would have had 760.

Ted Williams 521 after losing key years to the war might have been 700. Best complete hitter of all time.
You reckon he'd have hit 67 home runs a year during the war? He only hit more than 40 once in his whole career.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, when you grow up here and live here, you meet all kinds of people. Including family members and in-laws of some of these local guys. That's why I can comfortably say he's an assclown. Same with Doug. I've never ran in the same circles as the Ackerman's, but I've also never heard anything positive about him. I've heard great things about the McGriff family, but nothing specific about Travis himself. I've met Travis and had a lengthy conversation with him. He seemed like a pretty good guy, but it was a business setting, so you can't really take much away from that, but never heard anything bad about him.

Back to Doering, his mortgage company is there only because of the name. I've met him in business and social settings, and he's a slimy dude.

Weird enough, if you ever see Shane Matthews around, he doesn't exactly exude leadership like you would expect from a QB. I wasn't really surprised that he just followed Grow into that mess.

^ This... grow up and have family in the area you learn a lot about people.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
^ This... grow up and have family in the area you learn a lot about people.

You and Alchy are not far off base. I won't mention anyone in particular, but some of the former Gator greats mentioned here are the reason I actively avoid meeting players I grew up idolizing. There's a significant difference between loving and appreciating their on-field performance and liking them personally.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ted missed nearly 5 full seasons due to his military service. 35 a year (in his absolute prime) puts him at 700.
You are correct sir. I've often said that if science had just advanced enough to attach Ted Williams' half-frozen head onto Mark McGuire's deformed, misshapen, roid-mutated body, the resultant creature would have hit .380 for as long as you could have kept it alive and compiled 900 home runs over a career.

ted-williams-frozen-head.jpg

Book: Ted Williams' frozen head battered at lab

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
You are correct sir. I've often said that if science had just advanced enough to attach Ted Williams' half-frozen head onto Mark McGuire's deformed, misshapen, roid-mutated body, the resultant creature would have hit .380 for as long as you could have kept it alive and compiled 900 home runs over a career.

ted-williams-frozen-head.jpg

Book: Ted Williams' frozen head battered at lab

Ted was probably the greatest all-around hitter ever but my favorite...Carl Yastrzemski. Loved Yaz and those Red Sox of the late 60’s to about mid-70’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator