Christmas Miracle? Nick Saban retiring?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
What does Paul Finebaum say about this? He would know. His head is so far up Saban’s @ss, he could tell you what he had for supper last night.

I actually called Paul once and waited on the phone over 30 minutes to ask him if he makes Nick breakfast in the mornings. He hung up on me.

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
I hope he sticks around and goes 0-12 next year or Billy makes him squeal like a pig in the SEC championship game. Either way I'm tired of this fuching guy.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
A couple of things.

1) This thread is MOM. I broke this story nearly a month ago here on Gatorchatter. Here’s the link.

Is this Nick Saban’s final season in Tuscaloosa?

2) The shyythead author who posted this at Roughing the Passer (not my fellow GC member) is trying to ride my coattails a month after the fact.

3) The aforementioned shyythead owes me royalties for stealing my work.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Might explain Clemsons situation this year. Dabo is checked out.
Might not be the replacement Bama chooses and then he will be in the same post-NFL-pipedream loser Mullen found himself in- unable to dig out of the team funk he created. Clemson is in a deep hole.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
He said when he signed the three-year contract extension in June that it would be his final. My guess is now if he notches a Bama sixth. The only thing preventing that would be him having too much fun, and we all know how much fun Nick is.
giphy.gif

Nomadigator

Veni vidi facepalmi
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who’s going to want to follow Saban’s act? Bama people say they’re divided on Dabo.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Dabo will be the first call and they will offer him God money. I'd say it's 50/50 but think he probably says no. The expectations are way too high at Bama. He can continue to be a living legend at Clemson and worshipped by the fan base, keys to the town, all that. Or he can sit in Nick's shadow and have half the fan base perennially calling for his ouster for failing to win another conf and national championship, rinse, wash, repeat every single year he comes up short.

I'm of the mindset Bama has a long hard fall from grace because the top guys will be very hesitant to go there due to that expectation and lose lose type situation. For these reasons my theory is they end up with a dude who's relatively ok with taking a massive payout for 3 seasons and a termination. The standard Saban set is simply too high and no one else will come close to it, thus be branded a loser when they could do the same at a different school and be celebrated.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Dabo will be the first call and they will offer him God money. I'd say it's 50/50 but think he probably says no. The expectations are way too high at Bama. He can continue to be a living legend at Clemson and worshipped by the fan base, keys to the town, all that. Or he can sit in Nick's shadow and have half the fan base perennially calling for his ouster for failing to win another conf and national championship, rinse, wash, repeat every single year he comes up short.

I'm of the mindset Bama has a long hard fall from grace because the top guys will be very hesitant to go there due to that expectation and lose lose type situation. For these reasons my theory is they end up with a dude who's relatively ok with taking a massive payout for 3 seasons and a termination. The standard Saban set is simply too high and no one else will come close to it, thus be branded a loser when they could do the same at a different school and be celebrated.
So Mullen then?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I really think they would try. Meyer would say no.

I think he’d be a wildly unpopular choice. I don’t think Bama fans would have any kind of stomach for Meyer drama.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014

I'm guessing Saban's replacement will be Mike Tomlin. By Sherlock Holmes logic, i.e., after you're eliminated all the other possibilities, what remains, no matter how unlikely it seems, is the answer to the puzzle.

Never had a losing season. One of the very few coaches who you would not expect to experience/allow a post-Saban recession.

When he says "We'll do pro concepts, and can develop you for the NFL," 5-star high school kids will believe him. If he maintains the Saban infrastructure of support analysts, recruiting will not fall off.

Obviously the challenge would be getting him to leave the NFL to try something a bit different. The opportunity to be acknowledged as the greatest black college football coach of all time, based on national championships won, could be that lever. He's only 49 years old.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm guessing Saban's replacement will be Mike Tomlin. By Sherlock Holmes logic, i.e., after you're eliminated all the other possibilities, what remains, no matter how unlikely it seems, is the answer to the puzzle.

Never had a losing season. One of the very few coaches who you would not expect to experience/allow a post-Saban recession.

When he says "We'll do pro concepts, and can develop you for the NFL," 5-star high school kids will believe him. If he maintains the Saban infrastructure of support analysts, recruiting will not fall off.

Obviously the challenge would be getting him to leave the NFL to try something a bit different. The opportunity to be acknowledged as the greatest black college football coach of all time, based on national championships won, could be that lever. He's only 49 years old.
you think Mike Tomlin would ensure no drop off post Saban? Let me know what brand of meth you're smoking.

Tomlin is an avg coach backed by a fantastic organizational structure and great scouting and drafting. He would be a nobody at a lot of other stops. And he's never coaching college ball anyway.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think he’d be a wildly unpopular choice. I don’t think Bama fans would have any kind of stomach for Meyer drama.
They care about winning. Those Bama idiots would take him over someone like Dabo in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.