Chump says hold my beer....

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
SI article

GT and GSU combine for 1 pass completion in wins
Khadrice Rollins

Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern were not throwing a lot of passes on Thursday.
The Yellow Jackets were on the road to face Virginia Tech and the Eagles were hosting No. 25 Appalachian State at home

Georgia Tech picked up a 49-28 victory while Georgia Southern earned a 34-14 upset win.

The blowout wins are impressive on their own, but even more so when you factor in how many passes each team completed.
Yellow Jackets quarterback Tobias Oliver was 0-for-1 but ran for 215 yards and three scores. Eagles quarterback Shai Werts went 1-for-3 for 57 yards and a touchdown while rushing for 129 yards and another score.

At least UF isn’t alone in this abomination.

Last edited:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
SI article

GT and GSU combine for 1 pass completion in wins
Khadrice Rollins

Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern were not throwing a lot of passes on Thursday.
The Yellow Jackets were on the road to face Virginia Tech and the Eagles were hosting No. 25 Appalachian State at home

Georgia Tech picked up a 49-28 victory while Georgia Southern earned a 34-14 upset win.

The blowout wins are impressive on their own, but even more so when you factor in how many passes each team completed.
Yellow Jackets quarterback Tobias Oliver was 0-for-1 but ran for 215 yards and three scores. Eagles quarterback Shai Werts went 1-for-3 for 57 yards and a touchdown while rushing for 129 yards and another score.

At least UF isn’t alone in this abomination.
Wait.... Did read that right? Are you comparing Appy State losing to Georgia Southern to The University of Florida losing to them?

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Wait.... Did read that right? Are you comparing Appy State losing to Georgia Southern to The University of Florida losing to them?

Nope. But having been on the same exact end of this story I thought it interesting.

I’d say it was even worse for App St though; at least they were ranked; UF was 4-6 at the time.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If GT had decent talent, they'd be unstoppable.
Especially on the defensive side of the ball. I know most fans don't like this type of offensive football and often term it "high school," but Paul Johnson does it about as good as it can be done. They execute offensively as effectively and consistently as any team you'll see. Their offensive line play is a key to their offensive successes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If GT had decent talent, they'd be unstoppable.
If GT were something other than an afterthought, teams would devote more time to prepping for them.

Now they win occasionally bc some team doesnt prepare enough for this archaic offense no one plays except service academies.

Ninjax

Nov 21, 2017
If GT were something other than an afterthought, teams would devote more time to prepping for them.

Now they win occasionally bc some team doesnt prepare enough for this archaic offense no one plays except service academies.

I think it's only archaic because it's not flashy enough, and it's not used in the NFL. Therefore, kids with aspirations of playing on Sunday's won't play for a team with this type of offense. If GT had Florida's talent, they'd shred through the ACC.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Especially on the defensive side of the ball. I know most fans don't like this type of offensive football and often term it "high school," but Paul Johnson does it about as good as it can be done.

With my middle school age guys I run a Flexbone and Wishbone dominated offense. We're a rural area without the athletes that some of the teams we play against have and we still generally do pretty okay. Run well and executed properly it can be very frustrating for teams to defend. I've seen every defensive alignment imaginable (and a couple no one could imagine) as teams try to stop it. The benefit I think is that you always get to make one or two defenders "wrong" no matter what they decide to do. If anyone else beside those two who you force to be wrong are wrong, and your QB reads their wrongness right (are you following me?) it's generally a big play.

I'm not sure that changes much regardless of what level you're running it on. You can't run it in the NFL obviously as part of the plan is having your QB get blasted so that he can wait until the last second to pitch.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's only archaic because it's not flashy enough, and it's not used in the NFL. Therefore, kids with aspirations of playing on Sunday's won't play for a team with this type of offense. If GT had Florida's talent, they'd shred through the ACC.
Its archaic because it tells the defense exactly what you are doing on every play and ensures backers and DBs dont have to bother reading pass or run.

The reason no one runs it is bc it doesnt work.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I watched that GT-VT game, and I'm used to the old wishbone. But it took me ten minutes to get to the point that I could tell who had the ball and who was blocking whom. Apparently it took VT the whole game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
A couple of things:

- Fuente is flaming out hard at VT. Maybe he's got some young talent waiting to mature and they'll be better next year, but this is year 3 for him and he's gotten steadily worse.

- There are a lot of rumblings that Ga Tech is going to make a coaching change....but Johnson keeps pulling wins off that he shouldn't and likely makes a bowl game this year. I'd like to see another coach go there and try to compete, at least occasionally, w/ UGA. I'm tired of UGA "owning" the state recruiting wise - sure, they'll always get their share, but I want to see some competition for recruits...and on the field (maybe a win every 4 or 5 years vs. UGA).

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Had to give C2 a dislike. Tough day.

giphy.gif

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Of course you're not going to win the SEC or the National without being able to both run and throw the ball. You can't be Paul Johnson or Hal Mumme. But it's interesting watching how different teams with different talent levels devise an offense to win the game. It's not a standardized corporate approach. That's what makes college football.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wait this can't be possible....Law tells me all the time rushing TD's don't really count like passing ones...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
With my middle school age guys I run a Flexbone and Wishbone dominated offense. We're a rural area without the athletes that some of the teams we play against have and we still generally do pretty okay. Run well and executed properly it can be very frustrating for teams to defend. I've seen every defensive alignment imaginable (and a couple no one could imagine) as teams try to stop it. The benefit I think is that you always get to make one or two defenders "wrong" no matter what they decide to do. If anyone else beside those two who you force to be wrong are wrong, and your QB reads their wrongness right (are you following me?) it's generally a big play.
Or the QB reads too late and tries to give or take when the RB thinks its the opposite and you fumble. Or you miss pitch. Or you get hit while meshing. Or someone miss steps at the mesh.

Option is high risk low reward, it's why no one plays it.

If you have a bunch of highly disciplined undersized smart people like military academies, it may be the best option.

If more teams played option defenses would be used to it. As it is some 7-5 team occasionally pulls an upset on another mediocre team that didnt prepare for the option well enough a d the option fanbois come out again.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wait this can't be possible....Law tells me all the time rushing TD's don't really count like passing ones...
No, I say teams that cant pass lose a lot, like GT and especially Arkansas w the Big Pig.

And It is a lot easier to defend a 12 foot wide box than it is to defend the width and depth of the entire field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb