Classic Movies (kid friendly)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Along with Flashdance and Dirty Dancing? Throw in Saturday Night Fever and you have a roadmap directly to 2020.

I actually think SNF is Travolta’s only good movie. The acting around him is like community theatre, but I kind of like it. Fully agree on Dirty Dancing. And my goodness, Foot Loose is terrible. I don’t even have a specific reason. I just despise everything from the song, to the storyline, being a rebel by doing ballet in a warehouse, you name it. Burn it all and don’t give it a second thought.

I also love the Romancing The Stone call. That’s a great movie that doesn’t get the credit it deserves.

Basically to the original question, there are a ton of great options from that era. Cinema was advancing from really bad graphics into much better and so many future stars were emerging at that time. The only real warning I’d give is try to steal clear of any boxing related movies from the mid-1985 to mid-1986 period. Trust me, you’ll thank me later.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
FOOTLOOSE???

giphy.gif

ede940e0-47bd-4e1f-8d74-f7689b877db5_text.gif

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
One Crazy Summer

Explorers

Monster Squad

Clueless (maybe one of the few 90s movies you can watch with parents)

Funny Farm

Spies Like Us

Good Will Hunting
Good Will Hunting was great.

DOGMA was great too.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I actually think SNF is Travolta’s only good movie. The acting around him is like community theatre, but I kind of like it. Fully agree on Dirty Dancing. And my goodness, Foot Loose is terrible. I don’t even have a specific reason. I just despise everything from the song, to the storyline, being a rebel by doing ballet in a warehouse, you name it. Burn it all and don’t give it a second thought.

I also love the Romancing The Stone call. That’s a great movie that doesn’t get the credit it deserves.

Basically to the original question, there are a ton of great options from that era. Cinema was advancing from really bad graphics into much better and so many future stars were emerging at that time. The only real warning I’d give is try to steal clear of any boxing related movies from the mid-1985 to mid-1986 period. Trust me, you’ll thank me later.
I liked him in “Get Shorty” as well. Another teen friendly movie by the way.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Clueless was a great movie!

For our generation, Clueless was so great. Wasn’t necessarily fond of how they portrayed the skateboarder, but after Point Break, I realized I had to temper my expectations. I find myself using lines from it all the time.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
For our generation, Clueless was so great. Wasn’t necessarily fond of how they portrayed the skateboarder, but after Point Break, I realized I had to temper my expectations. I find myself using lines from it all the time.

we’ve all agreed that Clueless is next.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Thanks for the warning. Forgot how bad it was. We should have made the kids watch with their fingers in their ears. :lol:

:lalala:

Yeah, I can’t think of a single 3 minute span throughout the whole movie that isn’t loaded with F bombs. They can’t even say the word Alabama without incorporating it somewhere. :lol:

In the abundance of caution, just a heads up, “Eddie Murphy Raw” and “Penthouse: Swedish Threesomes 6”...not kid friendly either.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Yeah, I can’t think of a single 3 minute span throughout the whole movie that isn’t loaded with F bombs. They can’t even say the word Alabama without incorporating it somewhere. :lol:

In the abundance of caution, just a heads up, “Eddie Murphy Raw” and “Penthouse: Swedish Threesomes 6”...not kid friendly either.

Funny you should mention Raw.
My mom took my older sister and me to see it when I was in HS. We all realized that it was a big mistake in the first few minutes. :lol:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So, is Breakfast Club a potential choice?

Edit: Never mind, BNA already listed it.

That was a very influential movie back in the day & still lives on with references to it in many newer movies.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Clueless was a great movie!
Me and the wife still watch when its on. I was racking my brain trying to think of a good 90's movie as the 80s had so many, but man the 90's high school movies were filled with a lot of T&A like American Pie and Varsity Blues that are awkward with parents. The only other one that is somewhat family friendly I could think of was She's All That.

I'm assuming Goonies has been covered?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
We have been doing something similar with our 7 year old this summer making him watch a bunch of older movies. I introduced him to Monster Squad last week, despite my wife's protests, and he thought it was amazing. "Wolfman's Got Nards".

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are trying to make the most of this time with the teenagers. What are some classic 80's, 90's, 00's must-see "family" movies?

We've watched Back to the Future, Ghost Busters, Jumanji. Tonight I'm voting for My Cousin Vinny

Ghost Busters might have some language issues as well, depending on how you feel about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator