Clayton still searching for his role

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Will Sammon wrote an excellent article on Antonneous Clayton for "The Athletic." Being a paid site, here's the rundown on the article.

1. He isn't transferring since he lives with his girlfriend and newborn son. He doesn't want to leave them.

2. He gained 35 pounds (roster lists him at 255) for this season. He did well in practices but stayed behind Cece, Polite, and Moon. So, Grantham wanted him to redshirt since they will need him next season. AC liked the idea.

3. The plan for next season seems to be more at DE rather than outside linebacker. He will get reps at both though.

4. I asked Will Sammon if AC just wasn't very good or has he been buried behind talented players. This is his response,

"That's the question. I tried my best to ask that to Grantham, and his quotes suggest a combination of the two. He needed to redshirt to develop his body, so he lacked some things. But the other guys were exceptional talents. Unfortunately, media isn't allowed at practice, but, for what it's worth,Clayton performed well in the open bowl practices, breaking up a pass and making a tackle against the run, I remember."

Figured I would share. The Athletic ran a deal for 3 bucks a month recently. I think it is worth it if the offer is still going.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Great we lose several folks so his chance is coming. Somewhat sad that at his age he already is a father, but great he puts them first. He will get his chance and if he works hard become a success. I hope he is also working on a decent degree for the future as well.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Great we lose several folks so his chance is coming.
No shame in being behind nfl guys like Cece and Polite. Not beating out Moon bothers me. Every time I watched Moon this season, he was getting swallowed whole. He may be a freak of an athlete, but he is too light for that position. In the article, work ethic wasn't the issue. I hope Clayton steps up, he's got the body for the buck position. Moon starting scares the shyte out of me.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No shame in being behind nfl guys like Cece and Polite. Not beating out Moon bothers me. Every time I watched Moon this season, he was getting swallowed whole. He may be a freak of an athlete, but he is too light for that position. In the article, work ethic wasn't the issue. I hope Clayton steps up, he's got the body for the buck position. Moon starting scares the shyte out of me.

Players do growup and get bigger and stronger.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AC was a fast high school end. That was all he had. I remember seeing him practice at the UA game and it was all about speed. That would work at fsu or the Big 12 but you need a little more if you are going to play DE in the SEC.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Seems like Moon may get a chance at rush end, too. We need to get a big time run stopper in the middle.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Invest time in school and get your degree. Invest in being a good father. That should be Clayt0n's goals. he can't play at this level. No harm. Being a father to his child should be his priority!!!!

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Invest time in school and get your degree. Invest in being a good father. That should be Clayt0n's goals. he can't play at this level. No harm. Being a father to his child should be his priority!!!!

Great points but how do you actually know he can't play at this level? Have you been to practice, have some personal knowledge?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think he meant Moon at OLB, which we didn't play much at all, using a star/nickel instead most plays.

He could have been the "second string SLB" and not get reps just because there were no reps. Moon wasn't on the field much either. They seem to play senior players unless there is some level of undisputably clear reason to play the undergraduate (see Taylor and Steiner).

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Great points but how do you actually know he can't play at this level? Have you been to practice, have some personal knowledge?

This is not a knock on the kid, but if a kid can play the coaches will put him on the field. He has been here 8 years and it is not like he is playing behind the likes of Reggie White, Wilbur Marshall, etc. etc. and when he has been on the field in games that were way out of hand he looks lost and getting pushed around by backups. Again no harm in not being able to play, but he has been here well long enough to have been on the field if he showed anything.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our roster weights are a joke. Remember when they had Polite listed at 275 or something when we had him at DT and yet he was no bigger than Morrison?

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

He looks about 250-260 to me in this photo he posted today. Hard to really tell though.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why didn't you just say" focus on being a father to your child because you suck"?That's obviously what you meant.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Why didn't you just say" focus on being a father to your child because you suck"?That's obviously what you meant.

Perhaps it is the kinder gentler me towards today's youth. Now if it pertained to Fooley welllllllllllllll.....................I would just say GTFO immediately if not sooner!!!!!!!! happy New year all!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.