Clemson QB to transfer to Missouri

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
It's actually not that I'm all in on Franks. I just think he does have solid upside, and has played really well in his first year of actual coaching. I just prefer coaching up the talent we have and building more organically, as opposed to this seemingly never-ending game of fix the hole we've played for close to a decade. And it would likely damage our standing with kids who we could have for the next 3-4 years, all for a hope that we get one good year out of it.

But to take it a step further, just as it's a bad message from a recruiting standpoint, how does it benefit our current QB(s) to say, "thanks for a big win in Knoxville, and let's get another one this Saturday...and oh, btw, we're pursuing a transfer who obviously wants to start, because we don't like you, or you, and think you're still a few years away...anyway, like I said, let's go get'em this weekend".

As for the integrity part, no I don't expect it per se. I just think we're making it worse by our catering to a select few and putting the greater good of the team in harm's way. Also, while I'd still be disappointed in Franks' decision to leave, I could be a little more understanding considering it is totally different coach and offense than what he signed on for. This isn't about a change that doesn't fit a skill set. This is about saying if I can't start(because I was beaten out by a true Freshman) then forget my team, I'm leaving.

It just goes against every facet of the competition mindset.
Agree, and notice I said I don't think we should pursue him for all the same reasons. But it doesn't change the fact that I believe he would be a significantly better QB for Mullen's system than Franks will ever be.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
His completion percentage is actually lower this year than last year. Technically most of his games weren't under Butters last year by the way.

Feleipe Franks College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Kelly Bryant College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Bryant has been very consistent completing 2/3rds of his passes. There's a reason NFL scouts pay so much attention to that stat.

Thx for the URL. I was able to look at them side by side and you're right about FF's percentage being lower but it's interasante' to find that through just the first 4 games Bryant had 24 more completions on 14 more attempts so he's def more accurate than FF but those extra 24 more completions only netted Bryant 129 more yards.

Also, FF has 12 passing TDs to Bryant's 2 and FF has 1 less INT than Bryant had.

If you look at rushing then Bryant has 7 TDs to FF's 1 TD and Bryant's avg is 20.3 yards to FF's 15.6

The point to all this is while Bryant had slightly better numbers than FF it is a stretch for anybody to say that Bryant would automatically be better than FF is "currently". Also, Bryant was in his, what, 2nd or 3rd year w/his O-coordinator while FF is still learning under his 1st year w/Brian Johnson and Dan Mullen.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I understand your logic, but I’m in wait and see mode with Franks. He’s looked better under Mullen this year, but he is still too inconsistent. Aside from having a big arm and making the spectacular play every now in then, he seems to struggle with the mental side of the game and the advanced nuances that it takes to become elite at the position. I hope Franks continues to develop, but a guy like Bryant is ideal for players like EJ, Jalon Jones, and Richardson to learn under. Franks isn’t an ideal fit for this offense.
It's the lack of consistency and accuracy that I expect will always plague him. Just in the last game, he threw the beautiful pass Cleveland but then look at the pass to Reynolds. It's only because the guy was wide open that it wasn't an easy int. A long looping motion from an over-tall QB pretty much never can give you touch or the ability to get the ball out now and hit the brief open window. The fact that FF only has 2 INT's this year has been a lot of luck honestly because he's thrown a lot of balls that should have been easy pics for a decent defense.

Again, I'm not arguing that we should make a push for KB. In fact I don't think we should. But I have no doubt that he would be much better than Franks quickly in this offense.

But Franks is improving and he's our date so we'll dance with him for now.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wow, you are all in on FF. Bryant would automatically be the best QB and best fit QB on our team the moment he stepped on campus. You're talking about a 66% career completion percentage guy vs Franks at 54%. Kelly 1200 yards rushing, Franks 130. He would be a great fit for Mullen's offense.

But as tempting as it would be to pursue him, I think it would be a bad idea. We have a starter plus the guys who are supposed to be the future on campus or committed so it sends a bad message to recruits if you are always chasing grad transfers. But if he ended up here I sure as hell wouldn't complain about it.

Ohh, and don't kid yourself about integrity. If EJ had taken the starting job from FF, he would be transferring this year also, just like our other QB's and other players who could see the writing on the wall.

Next year, we go into the year with FF being the only QB with meaningful snaps in a game. We will have two QBs that are meant for Mullen's offense but they have never played before. Why not grab a guy like Kelly to bridge the gap and get this offense to where it needs to go?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Next year, we go into the year with FF being the only QB with meaningful snaps in a game. We will have two QBs that are meant for Mullen's offense but they have never played before. Why not grab a guy like Kelly to bridge the gap and get this offense to where it needs to go?
Mullen might still have plans to get EJ into some meaningful playing time this year. He can still play him 3 more games and still RS which honestly we probably don't need to do with the guys committed behind him. Maybe Mullen wants to see how things go in the next few SEC games before he decides what EJ's role is going to be.

Bryant's only going somewhere he's guaranteed to start.

I'm with you in that I think KB would be an instant upgrade, but it would also piss a lot of folks off. It's a balance between what's best for the team long term vs what's best for right now. Plus Mullen doesn't seem to be interested in transfer QB's anyway so unlikely we pursue him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bryant's only going somewhere he's guaranteed to start.
With FF, EJ, JJ, Trashman (Trash+ Heisman), Burrow, Eason, and Hurts already on the roster, how could be possibly guaranteed the starting position?

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

I can’t remember the last time we got through much of a season without our starting QB going down for at least a few games due to injury. We are just going into the games our guys usually get injured in.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I can’t remember the last time we got through much of a season without our starting QB going down for at least a few games due to injury. We are just going into the games our guys usually get injured in.
That's all right, Trask's got this:

"Hey EJ, hold my beer."

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I want him......

Would be a great upgrade in the running game!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Dude would put this team into the top 10 without a doubt....He throws much better than Franks and runs 10X better.....If I'm Mullen I already forwarded a bag of cash....

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Bryant loses his job to a redshirt freshman because of average to below average play. Gator fans,

"WE WANT HIM!!! SIGN HIM UP COACH MULLEN"

giphy.gif

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Bryant loses his job to a redshirt freshman because of average to below average play. Gator fans,

giphy.gif
The kid he lost his job to is an absolute stud that could walk right into a pro position.....meanwhile some Gator fans would prefer a couple more years of this...
th

Last edited:

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Admittedly I haven't read the full thread. But why would we want a guy who is 16 TD, 10 INT in 18 starts...including against ACC teams and cupcakes. Clemson's system is a proven system unlike Nuss' so I wouldn't compare the numbers to our current QB's. Point is, this guy has been average in a good system. Why would we want to bring him into what looks like a promising situation with the young guys we have and have coming in? I know IAKOW is jacking it to the possibility, but this is one I disagree with them.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

giphy.gif

Kelly has struggled a bit lately, but his record as a starter is outstanding. We instantly become relevant in the National landscape if he is our QB. It is simply a hot take to say that he sucks because a Freshman beat him out. Trevor Lawrence is a tremendous prospect. He is one of the most coveted quartbacks to come out of high school in years. Also, I don’t buy the fact KB is a quitter like some have tried to label him on this board. Would you be OK sitting on the bench during the last year you’re able to showcase your talent to NFL scouts? Probably not. This kid is doing what’s best for his future and I really can’t blame him.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zero percent chance of it happening here. Mullen knows where he's going, and that doesn't include a tire patch next season.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Baker Mayfield got beat out by Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech. He saw the writing on the wall and transferred to Oklahoma. How did that work out for Baker?

Not saying he is gonna have the same trajectory, but you can’t just discredit a guy’s talent because he loses a QB battle. If he’s interested in coming here, roll out the red carpet and put the full court press on him. The kid is an upgrade from what we have any way you slice it. It’s been a while since we’ve had a proven commodity at QB.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Zero percent chance of it happening here. Mullen knows where he's going, and that doesn't include a tire patch next season.
A tire patch sure beats the hell out of a flat tire offense for the 10th consecutive year in a row.....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Trevor Lawrence is a tremendous prospect. He is one of the most coveted quartbacks to come out of high school in years.
Trevor Lawrence would beat out any QB in the country not named Grier or Tagovailoa….and quite possibly a few in the NFL....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator