Coach Mac and Nussy Meeting w/ The Griers Today

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I think Mac will tell Grier to take a hike if he believes Grier will be disruptive to the team. Grier could have spent the second half of the season leading and cheering on the team from the sidelines. Maybe he is too self-centered to take on that role. Were it not for Grier's supplement decision, this might have been an unbelievable Cinderella season. I will be unhappy if Grier transfers and wins a Heisman and NC someplace else (a la Cam), but that's life. I'll be more unhappy if Grier comes back, acts like a prima donna, and causes dissension in the locker room. I blame only Grier for the second half of the season being a disappointment. The future is bright with Del Rio, Franks, Trask, and maybe Eason. Go Gators.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It's the smart move. Kevin 'Stumblin' may be a bit of a boozer, but he's right on the money here. A commitment goes both ways. The school gives the player a scholly, likely in place of another option that they don't take. Now the player wants to leave them short handed AND compete directly against the team. No shot. Plenty of other places you can go.

*Btw, this was directed at Wobble. Thought I quoted him but apparently not.

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mac will tell Grier to take a hike if he believes Grier will be disruptive to the team. Grier could have spent the second half of the season leading and cheering on the team from the sidelines. Maybe he is too self-centered to take on that role. Were it not for Grier's supplement decision, this might have been an unbelievable Cinderella season. I will be unhappy if Grier transfers and wins a Heisman and NC someplace else (a la Cam), but that's life. I'll be more unhappy if Grier comes back, acts like a prima donna, and and causes dissension in the locker room. I blame only Grier for the second half of the season being a disappointment. The future is bright with Del Rio, Franks, Trask, and maybe Eason. Go Gators.

You are assuming it was Grier's choice not to be on the sidelines and not McElwain. I imagine that McElwain wanted Grier away from the team so that he wasn't a distraction. What good does it do to have the better QB standing on the sideline perfectly healthy, but suspended as a reminder of what could have been to the guys playing. They needed to focus on how to succeed with Treon not focus on what could have been with Grier.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's the smart move. Kevin 'Stumblin' may be a bit of a boozer, but he's right on the money here. A commitment goes both ways. The school gives the player a scholly, likely in place of another option that they don't take. Now the player wants to leave them short handed AND compete directly against the team. No shot. Plenty of other places you can go.

*Btw, this was directed at Wobble. Thought I quoted him but apparently not.

I agree that the move is smart by A&M, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a wussy move.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You are assuming it was Grier's choice not to be on the sidelines and not McElwain. I imagine that McElwain wanted Grier away from the team so that he wasn't a distraction. What good does it do to have the better QB standing on the sideline perfectly healthy, but suspended as a reminder of what could have been to the guys playing. They needed to focus on how to succeed with Treon not focus on what could have been with Grier.

It helps having Grier on the sidelines to build chemistry with the players. To stay engaged with them, to also be there to show support for the QB and other players that are playing.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015

If this was Mac's decision (which I doubt), it was a bad one. How did the team's focusing on succeeding with Treon work out? Grier was the team leader. He brought out the best in the team. I don't know that he could have willed the team to do better under Treon, but I'm pretty sure he couldn't have made the offense less potent. Mac was very clear at the presser that Grier was still part of the team. Somehow, now it doesn't seem like he is still part of the team. I think Mac is giving the Grier family an ultimatum to be an unselfish team player if they want Will to continue being a Gator.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If this was Mac's decision (which I doubt), it was a bad one. How did the team's focusing on succeeding with Treon work out? Grier was the team leader. He brought out the best in the team. I don't know that he could have willed the team to do better under Treon, but I'm pretty sure he couldn't have made the offense less potent. Mac was very clear at the presser that Grier was still part of the team. Somehow, now it doesn't seem like he is still part of the team. I think Mac is giving the Grier family an ultimatum to be an unselfish team player if they want Will to continue being a Gator.
IDK, I kind of agree with ATX - I think Grier needed to step back to let Treon be the leader of the team, in practice, on the sidelines and during the games (it's just too bad that Treon couldn't get it done). I don't think they needed Grier to be a cheerleader. Could he have helped out Treon on the sidelines with some observations? Maybe, but I doubt it would have made much of a difference in Treon's performance as I'm sure Nussy was talking to him via head phones when he was on the sidelines.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Grier was out for the whole season... that was at a minimum and he needed to focus on his appeal. The team didn't need him on the sideline to hold them together... actually the team chemistry was fine...

Grier not being on the sideline didn't impact Treon's play. I can certainly see how he could be a distraction to the other players if he was on the sideline even if he was doing his best to be positive. I don't see what value he was really going to add.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You're doing entirely too much doubting and thinking.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Grier was out for the whole season... that was at a minimum and he needed to focus on his appeal. The team didn't need him on the sideline to hold them together... actually the team chemistry was fine...

Grier not being on the sideline didn't impact Treon's play. I can certainly see how he could be a distraction to the other players if he was on the sideline even if he was doing his best to be positive. I don't see what value he was really going to add.

Team chemistry. Showing he is there for his team no matter what. It would help Grier for next season more than help Treon this season.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I am with the crowd that says they hope WillyG stays. I am not convinced that Del Rio will be the answer for QB all next year. That includes even if we get Knight. The first 6 games are not as critical as the last 6 plus games and WillyG will have a better working knowledge of the system.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's my understanding that suspended players are not allowed on the sidelines with the team during games. And that's a Mac thing, not a UF thing.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If Grier stays he starts against Missouri next year barring a miracle performance in the first 6 games by one of the scrubs left on our roster. Franks has the potential to be a good one, but he needs a lot of work and should redshirt. Eason is further along in his development, but I don't think he's better than Grier at this point and most likely won't be 6 games into his true freshman year either. No matter what happens, I doubt Coach Mac ever allows himself to be put in the same position of having to run a Treon out onto the field to play QB. For our livers' sake I hope there's never a reason to again.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Excuse the glitch.

Wait, who you calling a glitcht ?

After seeing how much Treon fell so-so short of Grier's lightening passing ability,
I'm positive our receivers will be chomping at the bit to get back Will Grier. Grier just needs
to be at readiness form by the 7th game. I think it's likely that Grier will get enough snaps
at practices to be fluid as our QB. Grier will beat out whoever starts the first 6 games.
What we'll see is that our PPG will upswing with Grier at QB. Still, QB competition this
way will make us stronger team = with a solid backup QB + an SEC star QB.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's my understanding that suspended players are not allowed on the sidelines with the team during games. And that's a Mac thing, not a UF thing.
I don't know if this is true but it makes more sense than grier sitting out because he's pouting.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The rumor is that Allen is trying to go to OU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb