Coach Mac and Nussy Meeting w/ The Griers Today

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am with the crowd that says they hope WillyG stays. I am not convinced that Del Rio will be the answer for QB all next year. That includes even if we get Knight. The first 6 games are not as critical as the last 6 plus games and WillyG will have a better working knowledge of the system.

Of the options we have seen yes. I'm saying this for arguments sake, because none of us know who is truly the better option right now. Del Rio has been in Mac System about as long as Grier. They will probably split snaps in the Spring, and in the Fall more of the snaps will be going to the guy who can play. Then much like Grier got 6 more weeks of practice as starter (or split snaps as starter) this year, Del Rio will have the same benefit next year. Grier will have the rust of not seeing game action or true practice time up until that point. How do we know Del Rio won't be more prepared at that point?

Right now this is all academic because we don't know what is going on in practice, and if Del Rio, Grier, etc.. will be seeing some extra snaps during the bowl practices and Spring.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As I've indicated all along, I think Grier is the best option we've got. It's possible, but not probable, that someone new would be a better option by the time Grier is eligible. Either way, I think keeping him is possibly the biggest QB recruiting job Mac has to do this season.

Scenario 1
If we keep Grier, get Trask and Franks but miss on Eason this year, we do what we can to start next year and Grier (or a remarkably improved 6-game starter) leads us the rest of the way. Then, Grier has two seasons of eligibility in 2017, we return Franks, Trask and (at this point) have incoming 2017 QB Jake Allen. We look good going forward from there with properly spaced and legitimate recruits at the QB position.

Scenario 2
If we keep Grier, get Trask, Franks and Eason this year, we do what we can to start next year and Grier (or a remarkably improved 6-game starter) leads us the rest of the way. Then, Grier has two seasons of eligibility in 2017, we return Eason, Franks, Trask and incoming 2017 QB Jake Allen might be second-guessing his commitment. Then the QB position is stocked, but there's also less favorable spacing between classes. This is still a really good situation. I think Eason could be the bird in the hand with Allen being one in the bush.

Scenario 3
We don't keep Grier. I don't like it.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's my understanding that suspended players are not allowed on the sidelines with the team during games. And that's a Mac thing, not a UF thing.

I may be wrong but I think it is a NCAA rule that a suspended player for PED use can't be on the sideline with the team during the games. At least I think I remember reading that a couple of months ago.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Still doesn't explain why he is not at practices.

Coach Mac isn't letting him practice because it would be too distracting for the team. And it would be. Think about how bad Harris has been this season, and so the players see that mess on Saturdays and then watch Grier light it up with the practice squad. There would have been a lot of negative feelings towards Grier and Harris that I think Mac has probably avoided by keeping Grier away from the team right now.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Coach Mac isn't letting him practice because it would be too distracting for the team. And it would be. Think about how bad Harris has been this season, and so the players see that mess on Saturdays and then watch Grier light it up with the practice squad. There would have been a lot of negative feelings towards Grier and Harris that I think Mac has probably avoided by keeping Grier away from the team right now.

I am not saying he takes reps, just there for film study and supporting the team. Also show leadership by helping Treon improve (not that I think that Treon would have improved).

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Coach Mac and Grier probably want QB leader Grier totally the unfettered team-leader
in practice and on the field.

This year we had a stellar WR who was a true freshman. Perhaps we'll acquire another
stellar WR to make the pass-game great for someone who can scan several WRs, then
fire it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I still don't think get he can get enough reps to be ready for immediate play when his suspension is over...unless the situation is dire. If that's the case, it's gonna be a looooooong season next year,

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Do you really think he would still be on the team if he decided to quit going to practice on his own?
Good point. I'm sure Mac told him they need to get the QBs on the roster all the reps...and I expect the same next year.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why you Greedy Phallus Eatin piece a...................
curly-bush.gif

There are so many options at QB next year, we can do some trickeration to fool defenses. We could bring Treon Harris in, then quickly insert Fallace without warning.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One man's trash is another man's potpourri!!!!

Ruff

I don't know, some kind of soup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb