Coach Mac and Nussy Meeting w/ The Griers Today

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Thought Zach said if Grier transfers that he has to sit out next season AND the first six games of the following season. How could that be advantageous to Grier?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You're killing me today, Pasty! :lol:
Oh-my-GIF.gif

Off topic, but as a fan of Star Trek when it first debuted, it hurts me to think that while Mr. Sulu was on the bridge appearing to be fighting the Klingons, he was more likely fantasizing about a naked Vulcan mind-meld with Mr. Spock and gently dabbing the sweat off a shirtless (and glistening) Capt. James Tiberius Kirk. Nothing, I've learned, is sacred anymore.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, the time he has been suspended burns a year just as if he had played in those games. This year burned his redshirt freshman year. He couldn't use a redshirt to save the year even if he had not already shirted. Same deal for the next six games so next year won't count as "sitting out a year". He will have to sit in 2017 (the whole year) unless he transfers to I-AA or the NCAA grants a waiver (virtually impossible given the circumstances).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Off topic, but as a fan of Star Trek when it first debuted, it hurts me to think that while Mr. Sulu was on the bridge appearing to be fighting the Klingons, he was more likely fantasizing about a naked Vulcan mind-meld with Mr. Spock and gently dabbing the sweat off a shirtless (and glistening) Capt. James Tiberius Kirk. Nothing, I've learned, is sacred anymore.
I have bad news to tell you about Judas Priest.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No, the time he has been suspended burns a year just as if he had played in those games. This year burned his redshirt freshman year. He couldn't use a redshirt to save the year even if he had not already shirted. Same deal for the next six games so next year won't count as "sitting out a year". He will have to sit in 2017 (the whole year) unless he transfers to I-AA or the NCAA grants a waiver (virtually impossible given the circumstances).

This is why I think he stays. Mac can get Del Rio ready to go to be serviceable for the first 6 games. Harris can be the backup and Grier picks up where he left off. Beat Mizzou, then thrashes them next year in the Swamp. Leave the RS for the new QB's if possible.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have bad news to tell you about Judas Priest.
Damn. I was afraid of that. I guess the next thing you'll tell me is that Scott Weiland enjoyed an occasional joint, to relax after a set?

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
This is going to be interesting.

Mac probably went to their house to recommend that Will go to class and hit the weight room.
Grier has already shown he can be stupid

Battle on

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I guess the next thing you'll tell me is that Scott Weiland enjoyed an occasional joint, to relax after a set?

That was a sad, sad day. Love STP. RIP Crackerman...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Good point. I'm sure Mac told him they need to get the QBs on the roster all the reps...and I expect the same next year.
If he comes back and is allowed to practice I would imagine he would get some reps. It would make zero sense not to prepare him to play if he's gonna be eligible. But I don't know if he'll be back.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd put good money on the idea that the two sides know they need one another and are wanting to assure one another that neither is prepared to quit on the other. Transferring doesn't particularly benefit Grier and the team doesn't have an heir apparent waiting in the wings, not now anyway. So what if we sign Eason? Grier and Eason are effectively two years staggered in terms of their careers at Florida and there's no guarantee Eason pans out. The coaching staff knows what it has in Grier. You pin this guy down, now.

Specifically, if I'm Mac, I'm telling the Griers work with us, we need you and there's a reasonable chance if you work hard and stay out of trouble that you can win the starting job back before the end of 2016.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't see the state championship game today, but from the accounts I heard or read in the game thread, Franks is a gamer but is
very raw. And not to throw cold water on our chances with Eason, I find it difficult to believe we wrestle him away from a school he has been committed to for a long time. I agree with it not making sense for WG to be on the sidelines. I have no clue what the visit reported at the Grier household was all about, just like the rest of you. We will be fine with Del Rio until Grier returns. I see no reason why WG couldn't use a personal trainer (s) to keep his timing and arm strength and accuracy up. Franks will redshirt and he will compete with Grier if will stays another year. That's my guess.
Plus, to parrot another poster I read somewhere, Grier is the best qb we have had on campus in a long time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd put good money on the idea that the two sides know they need one another and are wanting to assure one another that neither is prepared to quit on the other.
Usually when your significant other says she is thinking about cheating on you, her mind is made up already.

It may be nothing but there is a ton of smoke here and remember Will and Chad Grier werent recruited by Mac.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Usually when your significant other says she is thinking about cheating on you, her mind is made up already.

It may be nothing but there is a ton of smoke here and remember Will and Chad Grier werent recruited by Mac.

Yep, Durkin recruited Grier, and Bammer didn't even offer him.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
This calendar year suspension is just a huge mess. How do you plan around it? You certainly don't have the luxury of giving Grier any reps. Also, I can't see Eason coming into this mess with all these QB's hanging around already unless he is confident that he can start right away. If that's the case, it is certainly a good omen -- the confidence I mean.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That was a sad, sad day. Love STP. RIP Crackerman...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it was. One of my favorites as well. I suppose I shouldn't make jokes, but what a waste. The unfortunate nature of addictions.

As for Grier, if preparing for a shot at the pros (which he and every able and eligible player has) trumps his commitment to the team based on his circumstances and/or his position group as it becomes composed of transfers, true freshmen, and to a lesser extent the incumbents, then he probably needs to hit the road. But for the life of me, I don't see a lot of ground being gained with a transfer if I'm correctly understanding the mandates of his suspension.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed cover. With the suspension he could possibly wind up losing over 2 years unless going to a smaller school. For me the Grier's are high profile and high visibility. He has that at UF, moving to another D1 school would only delay things. I think the meeting is for several reasons. First and foremost to get his commitment to UF. I think Mac wants to see what pans out so he can make a plan for a return and work with the Grier's on the expectations for that plan. There is not a reason why Grier cannot get snaps, reps, and practice in spring and next camp. Mac can get Del Rio serviceable for the first part of the season. Of those 6 games the ones of concentration would be UcheaT and LSU and 1 of those are on the road. If Mac has 9 months surely he can get a QB up to speed. I really feel that with all this in the mix Grier will come back and have much to prove.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see a lot of ground being gained with a transfer if I'm correctly understanding the mandates of his suspension.
Agreed. But see ego. Chad Grier has much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator