"Coach" Mac doesn't coach during games

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Welcome SEC14, and thanx for the insight, but anyone who watches football knows that Butters is a Moron. Why should he coach during the games b/c it is obvious that by the product he puts on the field on Saturdays he is also not coaching Sunday-Friday. Butters Blows!!!!!

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nice opening salvo SEC14, watching and listening to Mac pre-during-post games, it is pretty obvious this is not a leader, motivator or garners much respect from the players... going through the motions encapsulates what we are witnessing. The dude is not a shining star in his own profession... Mac is more interested in his check book balance than being apart of Gator coaching lore.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Welcome SEC14, and thanx for the insight, but anyone who watches football knows that Butters is a Moron. Why should he coach during the games b/c it is obvious that by the product he puts on the field on Saturdays he is also not coaching Sunday-Friday. Butters Blows!!!!!

You all might be right about how little he puts in during the week too. There is nothing I work on for an entire week in preparation (personal or work), for which I could be so disassociated during the actual event. He does so with literally the 12 chances he gets to coach a game on our field (he's visiting) and other sec fields.

Even if my kid was into the most mundane possible task: for instance, if I worked all week on knitting with that kid, I'd be invested enough to talk to him about that task if he was in a break during a knitting contest. Mac says how fun it is all the time, and yet, it doesn't look like he enjoys it.

The full videos, which I cant figure out how to post, also show him clearly running his hands through his hair over and over in a panic. I'm sure our freshman qb, who has 90,000 fans watching, is also nervous and could use some guidance instead of abandonment like a boring kid in a crappy knitting contest.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
You all might be right about how little he puts in during the week too. There is nothing I work on for an entire week in preparation (personal or work), for which I could be so disassociated during the actual event. He does so with literally the 12 chances he gets to coach a game on our field (he's visiting) and other sec fields.

Even if my kid was into the most mundane possible task: for instance, if I worked all week on knitting with that kid, I'd be invested enough to talk to him about that task if he was in a break during a knitting contest. Mac says how fun it is all the time, and yet, it doesn't look like he enjoys it.

The full videos, which I cant figure out how to post, also show him clearly running his hands through his hair over and over in a panic. I'm sure our freshman qb, who has 90,000 fans watching, is also nervous and could use some guidance instead of abandonment like a boring kid in a crappy knitting contest.

I did not even know he made the effort to do that. I thought he stood with his arms crossed for the entire game. glad to know he is capable of some arm movement while practicing his profession!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mac says how fun it is all the time, and yet, it doesn't look like he enjoys it.
He knows what's coming. He waddled his fatazz into the AD's office and demanded that his boy Nuss return or else. He knows his fat azz is now on the way out.

I can't imagine wasting a 4.5 mil a year gig by being a lazy fvkk and a coward. Oh well.

NEXT!!!!!!

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It does not surprise me, but it does make me annoyed.

Caloosahatchee

I voted for Law!
Sep 12, 2014
I have been borderline pumper, to barely optimistic, to some sort of hopeful dumper... But I am now just over this staff and don't see McElwain being the guy to get us back to the top. I barely enjoy watching the games anymore and that's saying something.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have been borderline pumper, to barely optimistic, to some sort of hopeful dumper... But I am now just over this staff and don't see McElwain being the guy to get us back to the top. I barely enjoy watching the games anymore and that's saying something.
We can be hopeful the next coach will be a champion and he is coming soon!

Keep the faith.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Welcome to the show, brother! Way to come out the gate swinging. That was a Hall of Fame level first post! I like your style, and your way of thinking. You'll fit in well here.

ufdano

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2017
First time poster on this board also, ha, and i am latching onto this post, and not giving any videos.

I was also trying to watch during the wildcat formations with Toney at qb and Franks on the sideline, there is around 30 - 45 seconds to coach the Freshmen QB up and send him back out, but i did not see it happening. I am way up in section 1 and may have had a beer or two before the game, so possibly could have missed that.

It makes me so glad i was at UF 92 -97, and had a Coach that could teach a qb a new playbook in 34 seconds...

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
First time here in a lonnnnnnnng time. I just have a question about Mac's press conference. My honest to God first response was "Is he drunk?" This is the first one I have been able to catch all season, but I was struck by the fact that he seemed so disinterested and had no answers at all. I know all of the "coach speak" that usually fills the time during these events especially when its under the circumstances of a loss, but he just had nothing to offer-----like he had no clue. At least Muschamp looked angry and determined when we lost, but Mac appeared lost and then put it all on the team saying "we'll see what this team is made of." I dunno---maybe it was just me, but after reading this post (thanks SEC14 for sharing your interesting observations!), I have to wonder what is going on with Mac.
Saw it and thought the same thing. Guy seems totally defeated and just doesn't even pretend to care. Gets up there and says nonsense and doesn't even pretend to care.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Delegating isn’t the problem. Every great commander (and Coach) ever is a great delegator and doesn’t micromanage. Mac’s problem is not understanding why great commanders delegate in the first place: to observe the battlefield and then place themselves where things are critical/demand direct intervention, instill confidence, and take control if necessary. At this, he’s always failed. Worse, in the last few games, he doesn’t just pace the sidelines, he now has his arms crossed and wrapped very tightly around his body for long stretches of time. This is beyond bad from a “commander.”

I know lots of poor commanders that were still loved by their guys, guys that would still fight for them, but they are still poor commanders with marginal performance in training, high casualty rates in combat.

Mac is a poor commander.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Delegating isn’t the problem. Every great commander (and Coach) ever is a great delegator and doesn’t micromanage. Mac’s problem is not understanding why great commanders delegate in the first place: to observe the battlefield and then place themselves where things are critical/demand direct intervention, instill confidence, and take control if necessary. At this, he’s always failed. Worse, in the last few games, he doesn’t just pace the sidelines, he now has his arms crossed and wrapped very tightly around his body for long stretches of time. This is beyond bad from a “commander.”

I know lots of poor commanders that were still loved by their guys, guys that would still fight for them, but they are still poor commanders with marginal performance in training, high casualty rates in combat.

Mac is a poor commander.

I agree but a good commander knows when to insert some orders or at least suggestions. I don't see say Saban coaching outside his area of expertise, I have seen him demand better performance from his coaches during games.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Delegating isn’t the problem. Every great commander (and Coach) ever is a great delegator and doesn’t micromanage. .
Sorry, I dont agree. Spurrier calls his own plays Saban called his own defense for years. Spurrier lost it when he started letting someone else call plays.

Sabin doesn't even delegate anything on offense. kiffin was once quoted saying he thought it was weird that saban was sitting in on the OC amd offensive staff meetings early on he. He then found out that saban sat in and every one (offense, defense, teams, every one) and delegated nothing.

Does it have to be that way? Maybe not. But at the very least the HC must have the reputation of a very demanding and meticulous....a perfectionist with a threat that if the coaches don't get their jobs done then they will be fired.

The best ones like Saban and Meyer are known as *******s who fire or demote even their friends when they can't get the job done.

Being the jovial old uncle is no way to win football games.

Detroit, I know the way you think and I agree that that's the best way for a commander to run an SF battalion, to trust the subordinate commanders and let them get the job done. However being hands off and delegating doesn't seem to work in college football. I cannot think of a single instance when it has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.