"Coach" Mac doesn't coach during games

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. I don't see say Saban coaching outside his area of expertise, I have seen him demand better performance from his coaches during games.
That is wrong. He formulates every offensive game plan. SOS didnt. He was hands off with his DCs though he was quite publicly critical of Zook and Hoke.

Saban obviously demands perfection. He fired nuts chump after he finished 40th and offense when year

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Sorry, I dont agree. Spurrier calls his own plays Saban called his own defense for years. Spurrier lost it when he started letting someone else call plays.

Sabin doesn't even delegate anything on offense. kiffin was once quoted saying he thought it was weird that saban was sitting in on the OC amd offensive staff meetings early on he. He then found out that saban sat in and every one (offense, defense, teams, every one) and delegated nothing.

Does it have to be that way? Maybe not. But at the very least the HC must have the reputation of a very demanding and meticulous....a perfectionist with a threat that if the coaches don't get their jobs done then they will be fired.

The best ones like Saban and Meyer are known as *******s who fire or demote even their friends when they can't get the job done.

Being the jovial old uncle is no way to win football games.

Detroit, I know the way you think and I agree that that's the best way for a commander to run an SF battalion, to trust the subordinate commanders and let them get the job done. However being hands off and delegating doesn't seem to work in college football. I cannot think of a single instance when it has.
I understand and agree with what you are saying... mine was meant to be a general, blanket comment about delegation/leadership. I'm 1000% with you... don't lose the forest for my "tree" comments.

PS It does apply to large formations. An easy example, and what I was thinking of when I typed my original comment, was Rommel.

Bottom line - Mac is a marginal administrator/staff officer that has reached the proverbial "level of incompetence" as a leader.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Sig worthy.

3d003d82d6b39498735ce3adca96f3a9.jpg

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Excellent first post and observations...your post to like ratio is going to be skewed unfairly

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you look closely, you'll see that Mac's headset isn't actually plugged in to anything.

It's as if he is Bobby Bowden 25 years younger.

I am going to expose one of my many biases here but I also struggle with a football coach that 'allegedly' works long, stressful hours being 30 lbs. overweight and getting fatter each year.
How can you work like a dog at your job, while being around the best equipment and trainers money can buy, and gain weight every year?

Does he find this job too boring to put any effort into it?
Should we help him end the boredom?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
His mind is on his commercial making career:
directv-head-bang-large-4.jpg

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's as if he is Bobby Bowden 25 years younger.

I am going to expose one of my many biases here but I also struggle with a football coach that 'allegedly' works long, stressful hours being 30 lbs. overweight and getting fatter each year.
How can you work like a dog at your job, while being around the best equipment and trainers money can buy, and gain weight every year?

Does he find this job too boring to put any effort into it?
Should we help him end the boredom?

505878382-e1453395361906.jpg

larry-fedora-shirtless-tease.jpg

The one in shape is 1-5 right now in college football.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
As for who is coaching them up, I dont know. I usually see some white kid w the QBs and with the huddle. I guess it is a QA guy. No clue who he is. Didnt look like Applebees to me. He is sort of short.

As for what is Butters doing, again, no clue. He usually has the headset on his head but the mic obviously isnt being used, just staring blankly. Hell I wish he would at least throw a visor and chew some OC ass or something

I have no clue what he is doing. I have serious doubts if he does.
You got your wish. He chewed out a coach when Davis ran for the TD instead of taking a knee.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
First time here in a lonnnnnnnng time. I just have a question about Mac's press conference. My honest to God first response was "Is he drunk?" This is the first one I have been able to catch all season, but I was struck by the fact that he seemed so disinterested and had no answers at all. I know all of the "coach speak" that usually fills the time during these events especially when its under the circumstances of a loss, but he just had nothing to offer-----like he had no clue. At least Muschamp looked angry and determined when we lost, but Mac appeared lost and then put it all on the team saying "we'll see what this team is made of." I dunno---maybe it was just me, but after reading this post (thanks SEC14 for sharing your interesting observations!), I have to wonder what is going on with Mac.
There were some threads on this and his pressers. Some of us think he might be medicated, like anti anxiety meds. If you saw the last couple of pressers , you have seen him more animated and coherent. You should have seen him before.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, I dont agree. Spurrier calls his own plays Saban called his own defense for years. Spurrier lost it when he started letting someone else call plays.

Sabin doesn't even delegate anything on offense. kiffin was once quoted saying he thought it was weird that saban was sitting in on the OC amd offensive staff meetings early on he. He then found out that saban sat in and every one (offense, defense, teams, every one) and delegated nothing.

Does it have to be that way? Maybe not. But at the very least the HC must have the reputation of a very demanding and meticulous....a perfectionist with a threat that if the coaches don't get their jobs done then they will be fired.

The best ones like Saban and Meyer are known as *******s who fire or demote even their friends when they can't get the job done.

Being the jovial old uncle is no way to win football games.

Detroit, I know the way you think and I agree that that's the best way for a commander to run an SF battalion, to trust the subordinate commanders and let them get the job done. However being hands off and delegating doesn't seem to work in college football. I cannot think of a single instance when it has.
The way I read it, everyone, was that Detroit was specifically naming ways the delegating commander is not hands off at all, and that he was saying that Mac does not measure up.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
505878382-e1453395361906.jpg

larry-fedora-shirtless-tease.jpg

The one in shape is 1-5 right now in college football.

The one out of shape is unemployed and has been fired from his last two jobs.

Everybody loves Chip Kelly and I just don't see it. He had a quirky offense at Oregon that was innovative for a few years but never good enough (even though they were cheating in recruiting like crazy) to get to the top. Kelly's apex was losing to a one-man team in Auburn in 2010.
I know everybody sees points and thinks that is all there is but I just don't think this guy has the ability to manage a topflight program but I know I am in the minority so I will shut up.

By the way, Meyer and Spurrier were always in great shape while Butters and Muschamp preferred the lard ass look. So............

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
The Great SEC football coaches were ones that instilled a certain amount of fear in their players. General Neyland at Tennessee, Bear Bryant, Spurrier, Meyer, before he collapsed, and Saban. They had a certain aura about them. They .were like the professors you had in a small class who intimidated you because you feared being called on. You came prepared.

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Great SEC football coaches were ones that instilled a certain amount of fear in their players. General Neyland at Tennessee, Bear Bryant, Spurrier, Meyer, before he collapsed, and Saban. They had a certain aura about them. They .were like the professors you had in a small class who intimidated you because you feared being called on. You came prepared.

Thermodynamics 2. On the 1st day, there were more students in the classroom than seats. The professor walks in and was pissed. He immediately points at some poor soul standing and asks him a question. When the frightened student mumbled some incoherent answer.... the professor threw him out of class. Then he picked on student #2. Instantly.... 10 other students ran out of the class. :lmao2:

MotownGator

Legacy member
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
Thermodynamics 2. On the 1st day, there were more students in the classroom than seats. The professor walks in and was pissed. He immediately points at some poor soul standing and asks him a question. When the frightened student mumbled some incoherent answer.... the professor threw him out of class. Then he picked on student #2. Instantly.... 10 other students ran out of the class. :lmao2:
Was it Dr. Gater? This cat is supposed to have chewed out his boss Dr. Gaither (chairman). He was out on sabbatical and Dr. Gaither taught Thermodynamics 1. He did a lousy job and Gater had to reteach everything.

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Was it Dr. Gater?

I honestly have thought about it in over 20 years. But now that you mention it.... I think that ass was Dr Gater. He "wrote" his own textbook every year. So you had to buy a new book because last year's wouldnt work. I kept my head down and didnt say a single word in that class.

MotownGator

Legacy member
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
I honestly have thought about it in over 20 years. But now that you mention it.... I think that ass was Dr Gater. He "wrote" his own textbook every year. So you had to buy a new book because last year's wouldnt work. I kept my head down and didnt say a single word in that class.
That was him. Him and Dr. Tlusty (Dr. Molestme) give me nightmares (failed the class) to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator