Coach Mac proves his recruiting prowess?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All this article is, is a way to say, if you want to play early you have a chance at Florida. It's hopefully a good recruiting tool for top end talent.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
All this article is, is a way to say, if you want to play early you have a chance at Florida. It's hopefully a good recruiting tool for top end talent.

Despite all the criticism we have given Mac, it seems he has hit on guys like David Reese, Kylan Johnson, and Vosean Joseph, and Jabari Zuniga. Keivonnis Davis was ranked a 2 star by rivals and is showing real promise. He's earned his way into the rotation as a redshirt freshman. Jeremiah Moon looks like he'll be a good player once he gains some weight. My point is, maybe Mac isn't settling as much as we say? Just a thought.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My point is, maybe Mac isn't settling as much as we say? Just a thought.

The way I see it, he's having trouble getting the real high profile guys to take him seriously yet, so he's doing an amazing job of scouting out the guys who can fit what he wants to do and may not be quite on the big program's radars yet. Is he a 3* guru? Heck I dunno, but so far he seems to have a pretty darn good eye for talent even when they don't have 4 or 5 stars by their name.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Despite all the criticism we have given Mac, it seems he has hit on guys like David Reese, Kylan Johnson, and Vosean Joseph, and Jabari Zuniga. Keivonnis Davis was ranked a 2 star by rivals and is showing real promise. He's earned his way into the rotation as a redshirt freshman. Jeremiah Moon looks like he'll be a good player once he gains some weight. My point is, maybe Mac isn't settling as much as we say? Just a thought.

Well... It was nice knowing you... You're about to be crucified...

That or eaten alive by a short armed dinosaur...

Maybe Law will let your plea down to a less severe punishment and take the death sentence off the table... But know Law, he'd just have you locked in a cell with 'Kev...... That being the case... you'd be begging for the mercy of a death sentence...

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Well... It was nice knowing you... You're about to be crucified...

I did say it was just a thought. I also said time will tell. My point was, these guys seem to be good and maybe Mac isn't as bad as we think. That said, history says stars matter on defense. I have always maintained that viewpoint. I think Mac maybe got lucky with these guys, but won't be able to sustain it in the long run. He needs to recruit those 4-5 stars better.

Sep 29, 2015

Or, alternatively, Mac and staff can coach'em up. If they can get consistent production out of lesser stars, I'd like to see what they can do with more 4 and 5*.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I predict lots of frustration next year.

CECE-beast if they let him play DE
K.Davis- BCJ type player
Zuniga- Looked great against subpar talent not so much in SEC games
Ancrum- nothing
R.Jackson-nothing
Ivie-Gone
Williamson- got torched the few times we saw him
Clayton- has he even played?
J.Smith- red shirt
Polite- been in a few games
Joseph- been in a few games, made great plays at LSU. Looks like a contributor
Reese- Star in the making
Moon- red shirt?
Burnett-RS
Gardner-ST
Taylor-ST
Lenton- hurt RS
McWilliams-hurt RS
Putu- played a few games, nothing spectacular.

That's the bulk of your 2017 defense. Anyone notice anything?

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It seems that Mac has either a philosophy or mandate (maybe a combo of both) to have a program with a low criminal element (ie, inmates not running some asylum). Yes, I know this next thought is a broad brush stroke, so don't waste your babbling time about that. As the OP mentions, we're having some thoughts here. Some of the high star recruits out there have a tendency to have 'self centered egos' or 'above the law coddling' which if there was TOO MANY AT ONE TIME on the premises could diffuse the baseline attitude Mac is trying to seed/foundation right now. He slips a few times indicating the past regime leftovers are a bit selfish vs what he wants on the field. So, I'm interested to see if his "message" of giving for the team is now planted enough and the media image of the Mushchamp teams being a cluster F (hissed at by those that have the ears of higher ranked recruits)... lead to "better character" 4*/5* being on the rise moving forward. Duh, It's obvious we need more statement players infused into this new "establishing" culture of behavior when wearing the Gator uniform in order to be a Championship team again. That's why I'm 'leaning' on the give Mac a chance bandwagon again ... Now, I'm not on the buckboard whipping the horses (aka my buddy/friend Coach/PE), but I'm back in benefit of the doubt mode. I think I'll feel even better with this thinking if a few poor recruiting Asst Coaches are replaced in the off season + a few surprise grabs/flips come our way. Just musing the OPs question/supposition. Go Gators!

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015

K.Davis- BCJ type player
Ancrum- nothing
R.Jackson-nothing
Ivie-Gone
J.Smith- red shirt
Moon- red shirt?
Burnett-RS
Gardner-ST
Taylor-ST
Lenton- hurt RS
McWilliams-hurt RS

i noticed you left out K. Johnson, J. Sherit, T. Bryan, K. Clark, and M. Harris. all will be back. three or four were on the field for 4th and 1.

yes, Moon red shirted.

we're young, but a lot of these guys have gotten huge minutes and could play "older" than sophomore status would suggest.

we need to find some home run CB's quick. real quick.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure on some of the younger guys and we got away with crowding the box on LSU which made the LBs maybe look better than they might have otherwise but Reese looks like the real deal. Zuniga came down to earth some when the competition got better but he has a lot of room to get bigger and stronger. We will find out quick against Michigan next season I guess.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
J
My point is, maybe Mac isn't settling as much as we say? Just a thought.
David Reese was the plan B for Meatchicken and Vosean was Bammers plan B or C for Trailerbammer if those schools didnt land the five stars we spent a year trying to land first.

But make no mistake aboit we did spend a whole year trying to land those other guys first.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure on some of the younger guys and we got away with crowding the box on LSU which made the LBs maybe look better than they might have otherwise but Reese looks like the real deal. Zuniga came down to earth some when the competition got better but he has a lot of room to get bigger and stronger. We will find out quick against Michigan next season I guess.
You always get away w crowding the box in the SEC these days bc most coaches havent heard of the vertical passing game and half play running backs at QB.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I agree, that he is getting guys that fit his system which is a positive. It also shows if you are a athlete that wants to play, there is opportunity to play right away.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

K.Davis- BCJ type player
Ancrum- nothing
R.Jackson-nothing
Ivie-Gone
J.Smith- red shirt
Moon- red shirt?
Burnett-RS
Gardner-ST
Taylor-ST
Lenton- hurt RS
McWilliams-hurt RS

On the last 2 plays of the LSU game, there were at least 7 players on the field who will be back in 2017. With the injuries we've had, we have a lot of players getting starts and significant PT. Reese & Johnson will have at least 5 starts each (barring an injury).

As far as the "is Mac smarter than the rest"? Well, I'll say some of his 3-stars are looking good. Others, we have to wait and see. But as far as 3-stars go, outside of Bama, Clemson, FSU, Ohio State and a few other select programs MOST schools have at least half their roster full of 3-stars.

Is Mac smarter than Bret Bielema? His Arkansas roster is chocked full of 3-star kids and they kicked our 3-star kids asses. Is he smarter than Boise's coach (another roster full of 3-star kids). Hell, go down the top 25: Colorado, Penn State, Louisville, Western Michigan, Utah, Washington State, Houston, West Virginia, Wisconsin. All those teams are full of 3-star (or 2-star players).

When your roster is full of 3-stars many times your only option (after an injury) is going to be a 3-star. 3-star's excel all the time (see the list above of the top 25). And some flop.

At the end of the day, I think ALL of us (even the pumpers) would rather have the 4-star (or better) kids.

So to answer is Mac "smarter": no; our 3-star kids are the same as any other program's 3-star kids. Just like our 4-stars and 5-stars are: Some pan out...some don't.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Not too sure about this stuff....If he is getting more out of average players then why do we still suck badly ay QB??? Every team in CFB except 2 are made up of about half 3 star recruits if not more. What I want to know is why can't the "QB guru" give us a guy who can be at least average? Could just be that certain positions do require 4 and 5 star players to succeed? I would recommend that Mac not run off the next 5 star QB who makes his way to UF....if we ever see one again.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Bottom line is we need a top 10 or better class this year and going forward or we are going to be average year in and year out. Mac has done some good with some of our 3 stars but you dont win championships like this. I really hope Franks or Trask or Allen will turn out to be a star.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not too sure about this stuff....If he is getting more out of average players then why do we still suck badly ay QB??? Every team in CFB except 2 are made up of about half 3 star recruits if not more. What I want to know is why can't the "QB guru" give us a guy who can be at least average? Could just be that certain positions do require 4 and 5 star players to succeed? I would recommend that Mac not run off the next 5 star QB who makes his way to UF....if we ever see one again.

Which five star QB did McElwain run off... https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/9556 Doesn't he have to run off 1 before we can say it's a pattern?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Was Bama's QB Hertz so electric coming out of HS ? IDK ? I think the remedy really does reside in
getting a "flash-delivery" QB - i.e. one who decides fast and throws fast. I've really always admired
Gator Rex Grossman's style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator