Coach Mac speaks about Del Rio

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
With Luke Del Rio likely to be the starting quarterback for Florida, the biggest question is if he can be as productive as Grier.

Obviously we kind of expect that. We expect him to take it farther than that,” McElwain said when asked at the Space Coast Gator Club. “That’s kind of what it’s all about. But we’ll see how he leads the team, we’ll see how he takes what the defense gives him and time will tell there.”

Some close to the UF football program, including former tight end Jake McGee, believe an eligible Del Rio could have challenged Grier for the starting job in 2015. At the time, Del Rio had more playing experience and knew Doug Nussmeier’s system better than Grier, a redshirt freshman.

Del Rio generated a lot of buzz last summer with his performance in offseason workouts, and McElwain called him a “sparkplug” in practice. Despite his impressive play, Del Rio came in last year knowing he would sit out.

It's not like I'd expect him to say anything differently but I do get the general impression that Del Rio is going to be much better than many of us expected...

The rest of the article is linked below:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...to-be-as-productive-or-better-than-will-grier

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am actually starting to get excited for Del Rio. His performance in the Spring Game was impressive. I know it was against the second team, but anytime you go 10/11 that is a good day. Especially when the one miss was throwing the ball away because a blitz was coming.

If our OL can give him enough time to get the ball out and he can continue to make the right decision quickly, then we should have a very good year. I think we can surprise some people. I honestly think our offense is going to be better than people expect. Everybody is stuck on the vision of us with Treon at QB.

Next year we have a better OL (assuming they stay healthy), more talent at RB, weapons at TE, if Callaway comes back we have multiple weapons at WR. I think Cleveland is going to be an impact player shortly after arriving and Massey is going to make some plays also.

I feel the optimism blooming... must be the off season... when everybody including UT thinks they can win it all..

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
In the interviews I've listened to, Mac's attitude is much better. I get the impression from him that things are going to be improved from last year. The way he talks about the o-line for example is very different from last year. The same goes for the receivers and quarterbacks.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
If he lives up to be as good as Grier or better we are in good shape! I like the fact that most don't think that we can compete for the SEC, and that gives us an advantage going forward. If owe have improvements on the OL we could make a deep run.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I am actually starting to get excited for Del Rio. His performance in the Spring Game was impressive. I know it was against the second team, but anytime you go 10/11 that is a good day. Especially when the one miss was throwing the ball away because a blitz was coming.

If our OL can give him enough time to get the ball out and he can continue to make the right decision quickly, then we should have a very good year. I think we can surprise some people. I honestly think our offense is going to be better than people expect. Everybody is stuck on the vision of us with Treon at QB.

Next year we have a better OL (assuming they stay healthy), more talent at RB, weapons at TE, if Callaway comes back we have multiple weapons at WR. I think Cleveland is going to be an impact player shortly after arriving and Massey is going to make some plays also.

I feel the optimism blooming... must be the off season... when everybody including UT thinks they can win it all..

Not only am I excited for next year but by 2017 we should be damn good again. OL even more improved...play makers all over...Del Rio's 2nd year in this offense...if we recruit well on Defense we should be damn good in 2017

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hope he is a good one. He seems to see the field pretty good and can throw an accurate pass. The only thing that concerns me a little is how he doesn't really step into his throws much and seems prone to throwing almost off his back foot quite a bit when any pressure is around.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I hope he is a good one. He seems to see the field pretty good and can throw an accurate pass. The only thing that concerns me a little is how he doesn't really step into his throws much and seems prone to throwing almost off his back foot quite a bit when any pressure is around.

... geez Fever, whose back foot would you want him to throw off of .. ? :confused:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
It's not like I'd expect him to say anything differently but I do get the general impression that Del Rio is going to be much better than many of us expected...

My view after the Spring game is that this staff put the QB position on firm footing in one season. UF has two experienced guys to man the position for a bit while the two Frosh come of age.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
... geez Fever, whose back foot would you want him to throw off of .. ? :confused:

lol - Just hope it isn't an issue in SEC play when rushed. That NFL Scout that reviewed tape of him I think said the only issue he saw was his velocity sometimes wasn't very good which was kind of saying the same thing but some QBs have gotten away with that.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
That NFL Scout that reviewed tape of him I think said the only issue he saw was his velocity sometimes wasn't very good which was kind of saying the same thing but some QBs have gotten away with that.

Velocity means much less in college. Shane Matthews had a pop gun as did Chris Leak. A lot of college quarterbacks have been successful without having NFL arms. LDR's arm strength is solid for this level.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Velocity means much less in college. Shane Matthews had a pop gun as did Chris Leak. A lot of college quarterbacks have been successful without having NFL arms. LDR's arm strength is solid for this level.

Yeah ... let's not go dissarming our QB.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
lol - Just hope it isn't an issue in SEC play when rushed. That NFL Scout that reviewed tape of him I think said the only issue he saw was his velocity sometimes wasn't very good which was kind of saying the same thing but some QBs have gotten away with that.

A QB named Joe Montana "got away with that" to the tune of 4 Super Bowl rings.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
It's no secret Del Rio has the weakest arms of any QB on the team not named Treon Harris....

He can make up for it though in ways that a guy like Neon Freon Treon couldn't with smart play and quick decision making

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not only am I excited for next year but by 2017 we should be damn good again. OL even more improved...play makers all over...Del Rio's 2nd year in this offense...if we recruit well on Defense we should be damn good in 2017

I agree that our offense will be very good in 2017 for all the reasons you mentioned. I don't know how you can be optimistic about the defense in 2017. We'll lose a lot of starters so there will be a lot of inexperienced and basically unknown players playing a ton on defense. Depth will also be a huge concern on that side of the ball.

I can see 2017 being very similar to 2007 except probably minus the Heisman. This year I think we should at least win the East, and we'll have a much better shot of winning the conference.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I agree that our offense will be very good in 2017 for all the reasons you mentioned. I don't know how you can be optimistic about the defense in 2017. We'll lose a lot of starters so there will be a lot of inexperienced and basically unknown players playing a ton on defense. Depth will also be a huge concern on that side of the ball.

I can see 2017 being very similar to 2007 except probably minus the Heisman. This year I think we should at least win the East, and we'll have a much better shot of winning the conference.

All depends on recruiting...We RS a lot of guys the last couple of years on both sides of the ball. Big issue is going to be secondary. The only good thing about that is you can start freshman in those positions which you cannot do at DL and LB

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree about the defensive recruiting last year, but if it's just one year we'll be OK. Especially if we are good at LB and DT with this haul. As limited as the '16 defensive recruiting was in '16, if Clayton, Reese and Gardner turn out to be studs, we'll be OK.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's no secret Del Rio has the weakest arms of any QB on the team not named Treon Harris....

Arm strength is probably the quality I care least about at this point. As long as they can throw a basic route tree I'll take accuracy and decision making over arm strength all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator