Coach Ron English describes losing a recruit to an LSU bag man while at Meatchicken

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
So . . the Bag Man is real.

Recruiting Tales (Part 5): U-M Lost Jai Eugene to the 'Bag Man'

From 2003 to 2007 Florida safeties coach Ron English served as the defensive backs coach (03-05) and defensive coordinator (06-07) at the University of Michigan. During a recent interview with The Michigan Insider English . . . recaps the story of late decommitment of former five-star defensive back Jai Eugene in 2006. I

Ron English: “So we're on Jai Eugene (at Michigan), and he's a good player. We want him, and we needed him, and all that stuff. Fred Jackson recruited Louisiana, so we're going to go down (together) and see him. We go down after Katrina and Fred drives me around one of the wards, and I've never seen anything like it. It's like The Wizard of Oz. You're seeing cars tucked into second story windows, and in trees, and all that. It was crazy. But you go down to the French Quarter and they had taken care of all of that. So anyway… (back to) Jai Eugene, we go to Destrehan, we go to the school, and we finally get Jai committed. In fact, Jai Eugene commits to us on national TV at the Army Game. Now, we go (back) down to his school… I go down… this is January. One of the recruiters down south, he was at Tennessee… (he said), ‘what’s up Ron? How are you doing man? Hey, you know (Eugene’s recruitment) is just starting now? Whoever has the biggest bag is going to win.' At that time I didn't really believe that kind of stuff was going on. I didn't know. I thought it was just talk.”

“But Jai stays committed, and we go down to the final weekend. Now it's Monday… it’s either Monday or Tuesday of the signing week, and Wednesday is Signing Day. Fred comes to my office (and says),’ Ron, you've got to talk to Jai. He's talking about he's not coming. You’ve got to talk to him’ Of course I love Fred. I start immediately chuckling. Just like this (I said), ‘Jai, what's going on man?’ (Eugene said), ‘Coach, they came to the birthday party on Sunday… and you know my daddy just got out of jail and they got him a job, and they got my momma a house, and they said they were going to take care of my baby. I gotta go to LSU. I said, ‘Jai, you do. You gotta go to LSU.’ And he goes to LSU.”

“And Bo (Schembechler) was… oh my God! Bo was mad, because Bo heard about it. And Bo said… I’m not going to tell you what he said. Bo said a lot of stuff, and Bo was so mad. He was mad. Bo heard about it… Bo was mad. He was the old Bo on that one. He was mad for real. It wasn’t no fake mad. He was mad, and he made some statements that came true. He made some statements that came true… let me just put it like that.”

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It sounds like Moore's dad recently got a job not too far from Auburn so LSU might have been too slow on the trigger in his case.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Good story, and I'm sure it's true, but I feel like we all know the boogie man is scary and Santa is jolly. How can Bo not know. :dunno:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mom!

Anyone who didn’t know this has been going on has been sleeping at the switch!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
All I got out of that is English is semi retarded, incapable of telling a coherent story, and agrees with kids he's recruiting when they say they want to go elsewhere. Why is he on our staff again?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So the safeties coach who landed zero safeties is talking about bagmen?

Tick tock tick tock.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
All I got out of that is English is semi retarded, incapable of telling a coherent story, and agrees with kids he's recruiting when they say they want to go elsewhere. Why is he on our staff again?
:lmao:
This is the only first-hand account I've read or heard of someone having an experience with an actual bag man, Durty. Other than that little nugget of value, I'm with you.

leogator

May 5, 2018
We just have smaller bags because we keep losing them to Bama and Auburn and LSU and Clemson. We need bigger bags.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I wonder why if you knew this you would not report it directly to the NCAA, seems like that would be the right response.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just a loser making excuses.

The only two fools that came home with their hands empty were Sunsieri and English.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
If my memory serves me correctly, didn't Jai Eugene end up a bench warmer? I do remember him being mentioned as a 2nd or 3rd stringer during the Florida-LSU game in 2009.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

This.

Also, was Bo mad? I never got a clear picture on that.

Seriously, how do we end up with one of these complete nut-jobs on every staff, seemingly going back a decade or more? The guy sounds like Rain Man.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, I thought WTF is he saying? Is there some sort of translation? Thought it might be Rog speak.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I’m sorry, it if only a
Seriously, I thought WTF is he saying? Is there some sort of translation? Thought it might be Rog speak.
When your last name is English, you should probably learn to speak it, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator