Coaching hires (at other schools)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Penn State: PSU has sued former defensive coordinator Bob Shoop for nearly $900,000 in buyout money from his departure to Tennessee in January 2016, according to PennLive. The suit contends Shoop owed 50 percent of his base pay for the remainder of his contract if he resigned before it ended, unless he became a head coach within one year of his resignation.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Utah: Kyle Whittingham’s new contract includes a 10-year role as special assistant to the athletic director, if he chooses to retire at Utah, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. That job would pay him 10 percent of his yearly salary at the time of retirement. His 2017 salary is $3.4 million, with $50,000 annual raises, meaning the position would pay him at least $340,000 annually. Whittingham's current deal goes through 2021.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This guy is a rising star.....and I'm glad UGA has to play them early this year:

Scott Satterfield open about handling job rumors and speculation

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Scott-Satterfield-open-about-handling-job-rumors-and-speculation

Two years ago, Appalachian State had 20 returning starters for the 2015 season and finished 11-2. Coming off a 10-3 season last year, App State has 13 returning starters for 2017, including seven on offense and its quarterback.

Does the number of returning starters matter? It depends.

If they’re returning starters on a program that has won, then it’s good. If you haven’t won as many games, it may not be as good,” App State head coach Scott Satterfield said on SiriusXM College Sports Nation. “I’m thrilled to have these guys back that have won a lot of games. The last two-and-a-half years, we’re 27-5. The seniors were part of those starts three years ago, to help us get these wins.”

Last week, CoachingSearch looked at common factors in the last five Sun Belt champions. All five finished in the top three in scoring offense and had a multi-year starting QB, including App State last year. The Mountaineers have that again in 2017 in senior Taylor Lamb.

“I think he’s No. 2 in the country with wins,” Satterfield said. “He’s got 27 wins under his belt as a starter. That’s valuable, to have your quarterback. You’d better have a quarterback if you want to be successful at any level.

"Our running back is back, Sun Belt (offensive) player of the year, our leading tackler back. We have key players back that have won a lot of football games. That is very important. They know how to work and help the younger guys from coming along. The leadership, these guys are winners, and that’s key this season.”

Satterfield is 32-18 in four seasons, including 21 wins in the last two. Another strong season, and Satterfield’s name will be thrown around in the coaching carousel. A first-week upset at Georgia would bring that even quicker.

He’s a former App State player and was an assistant there for more than a decade, but instead of passing on the question or saying he's only focused on his job, he’s open and honest about the situation.

“For us, we are real about it,” he said. “We want to be successful. I’m upfront with our guys and our program. They know I love them and we’re going to do the best we can do for them. We approach it on a yearly basis, and after the season, if something comes your way, you look at it, decide what’s best for you and your family. It’s nothing I focus on. We always focus on doing the best we can do and hope it’s good enough.

“If opportunities arise, you take it from there. You want to be winning games. I played at Appalachian State, it’s a great place for me and my family. If another program is interested, you look at those opportunities, but you take them for what it is. In this day and age, you’ve got to have a program from the top to the bottom that is pulling in the same direction. It’s too difficult not to have that.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sun Belt and WAC, making a mil or less, right in our target zone. Anyone know anything about the coach from South East Missouri State? I hear he is on the short list too.

Last edited:

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sun Belt and WAC, making a mil or less, right in our target zone. Anyone know anything about the couch from South East Missouri State? I hear he is on the short list too.

It's red. That's about all I know.

1847_missouri_wall_graphics_build_steel_4ft.jpg

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If Mac doesn't work out, we should go all in with Scott Frost. He is a rising star in the ranks. With the talent he could get at Florida, we'd be pretty good. Our luck the Cornhuskers will call him home.

Agreed. He's a good recruiter and has been able to bring a lot of excitement to UCF. He's a coach who actually attracts kids to a program. Mac just happens to be the coach of a program that kids are already attracted to.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Law will like this hire:

New England Patriots: Maryland lacrosse volunteer assistant Chris Mattes will join the Patriots in an operations / development role, according to the Baltimore Sun. Mattes spent the last two years working with Maryland and also founded a clinc program.

Tennessee hire's a guy named "Mullet":

Tennessee: Marshall director of video services Luke Mullett has joined Tennessee as assistant director of football operations. Mullett spent two years at Marshall and previously worked at Eastern Michigan with Tennessee DFO Jacob Kirkendall.

The Have's & Have Not's:

Oklahoma State: The assistant salary pool increased by more than $330,000, according to the Tulsa World. The new staff salaries are as follows: DC Glenn Spencer ($675,000, increase of $75,000), OC Mike Yurcich ($600,000, increase of $100,000), DL coach Joe Bob Clements ($400,000), new OL coach Josh Henson ($400,000), WR coach Kasey Dunn ($360,000), CB coach Tim Duffie ($356,314), safeties coach Dan Hammerschmidt ($325,000), TE coach Jason McEndoo ($275,000) and new RB coach John Wozniak ($250,000).

Western Michigan: New head coach Tim Lester’s contract is a 5-year deal worth $800,000 annually, according to The Detroit News. That’s the same pay as P.J. Fleck’s last contract at WMU, though the News reports Fleck was offered a 10-year contract worth more than $2 million annually by WMU, before he left for Minnesota. Lester’s buyout would be $1 million if he left after 2017, decreasing by $200,000 each successive year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
UCF: Linebackers coach / special teams coordinator Jovan Dewitt has added the title of associate head coach, director of operations Gerrod Lambrecht has added the role of chief of staff, and director of high school relations Mike Cassano has added the title of quality control administrator - offense. In addition, Yale chief of staff Trent Mossbrucker has joined UCF as assistant director of football operations, former Oregon assistant AD for player development Horace Raymond has joined as director of player development, and former UConn offensive coordinator Frank Verducci has joined as an offensive analyst.

**wasn't that guy Will Muschamp's first OL coach at UF? Got fired for interviewing for another job?

Mississippi State: Director of player personnel Scott Sallach is no longer with the program. Sallach coached tight ends from 2009-16, but was moved off the field this offseason.

Mississippi State: Director of player development Rockey Felker has retired. The 64-year-old Felker played quarterback at MSU and also worked at the school from 1975-78 (assistant), 1986-90 (head coach) and 2002-16 (operations, running backs, personnel).

Northwestern: Pat Fitzgerald earned just over $3.3 in total compensation in 2015, according to USA Today, slightly down from 2014. In addition, athletic director Jim Phillips earned nearly $1.6 million in 2015, up from $1.1 million in 2014.

UConn: The Connecticut state ethics office ruled that tight ends coach Corey Edsall working on the UConn staff under Randy Edsall violates a ban against nepotism and a father helping negotiate a contract for his son, according to the Hartford Courant. However, ethics lawyers are recommending the state board take no action and that Corey Edsall be allowed to work in the job for one season, as long as the deal is not renewed.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hey look, Harbaugh hired another HS coach.....oh, my bad, he hired another staffer from another P5 school:

Michigan: Arizona director of on-campus recruiting and player personnel Matt Dudek will join the Michigan staff as director of recruiting, according to multiple reports. Dudek spent five years at Arizona and previously worked at Rutgers and Pitt.

And an NFL guy:

Michigan: Former 49ers senior personnel executive Tom Gamble will join the Michigan staff, according to The Athletic. Gamble worked with the 49ers for 10 years, including when Harbaugh was the head coach.

Iowa: Former NFL special teams coordinator Kevin Spencer has joined the Iowa staff as a special teams quality control assistant. Spencer worked with Kirk Ferentz with the Cleveland Browns in the early 1990s and the 63-year-old has also coached for the Raiders, Colts, Steelers, Cardinals and Chargers.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ole Miss: Matt Luke will earn an additional $500,000 as interim head coach, on top of his $660,000 annual salary.

Ole Miss: Matt Luke says he will hire a new offensive line coach, as he focuses on head coaching duties, and he hopes to have it by the end of the week.

Ole Miss: New defensive coordinator Wes McGriff has added the title of associate head coach. McGriff joined the staff this offseason.

Ohio State: Urban Meyer says defensive coordinator Greg Schiano turned down two “significant” head coaching jobs this offseason.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
6 quotes from Matt Luke's introduction as Ole Miss interim head coach

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...s-introduction-as-Ole-Miss-interim-head-coach

An emotional Matt Luke was introduced as Ole Miss’ interim head coach on Monday.

Luke, a former Ole Miss player and assistant under multiple head coaches, takes over following Hugh Freeze’s resignation last week amid personal conduct issues. He takes over a team about to report for camp, with the season a month away. It will be a tough task, as previous interim head coaches in these situations have not fared well.

Here were six notable comments from Luke:

- When Luke says it’s a dream job, he means it.

“I can’t believe I’ve spent 14 years of my life as a player or coach here. I can truly tell you this is my dream job. It’s a job I’ve been preparing my whole life for. I feel more strongly than ever that I’m the right guy to run the program.”

- South Carolina pursued Luke for its offensive line job in the offseason, but he stayed in Oxford.

“My whole family lives here. My wife is from Oxford, her family lives here. My mom and dad are here. My brother’s here. This is something that’s very, very special to me. You can’t put a price tag on family. I’m so excited to have the opportunity. You never want to take those times for granted. Excited to have the opportunity to be around family and be at my university.”

- There’s an open spot on the staff he expects to fill by the end of this week.

“I’m planning on hiring an offensive line coach, so I can focus on being the head coach.”

- But there won’t be many changes.

“The staff’s going to remain in tact; 95 percent of everything is going to stay the same. But I plan on bringing my passion and energy along with it.”

- Luke has a new offensive coordinator in Phil Longo and new defensive coordinator in Wes McGriff. Defensively, he’s been impressed by McGriff.

“The No. 1 thing was discipline. You noticed that out of the chute. They’re all wearing the same things, and they’re disciplined. The way they set their helmets, the little things. I love how he keeps it simple, and they do something fast and physical every day. They keep it simple and play hard-nosed football.”

- Quarterback Shea Patterson will have a lot on his shoulders, with the fewest returning starters in the SEC.

“He was one of the first ones to come up to me and say, ‘Coach, let’s go win some football games.’ I think he is excited about getting out there and playing, putting all the distractions behind him and playing football.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ohio State: Urban Meyer says defensive coordinator Greg Schiano turned down two “significant” head coaching jobs this offseason.
Heard a bunch of Osux analysts talking about the OC and man did they talk bad about the last dude. I wonder if theyd hire Nusschump.

I dont think theyve figured out that conservative lemur ball is urban's fault.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
USC: Georgia operations assistant Sam Curtis has joined the USC staff as assistant director of football operations. Curtis joined Georgia in February and was previously an operations intern at Tennessee.

Michigan State: Central Michigan on-campus recruiting coordinator Jesse Johnson has joined the MSU staff as a defensive backs graduate assistant. Johnson spent the last past year at CMU and is a former MSU player.

North Texas: Former UNT player Kenny Buyers has joined the UNT staff as a graduate assistant, and former Cowboys and Georgia Tech running back Tashard Choice has joined the UNT staff as an offensive quality control assistant. Choice had been working as a volunteer at UNT in recent months.

Two ex-con's getting jobs w/ NFL teams:

Kansas City Chiefs: Michael Vick has joined the Chiefs as a training camp intern.

Arizona Cardinals: Former NFL receiver Plaxico Burress and former defensive tackle Tommy Kelly have joined the Cardinals as training camp interns.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Former UF Interim Head Coach:

Nebraska:
Former Western Michigan head coach Gary Darnell has joined the Nebraska staff as a defensive consultant, according to 247Sports. Darnell led WMU from 1997-2004, followed by two years as a Texas A&M assistant. Defensive coordinator Bob Diaco worked under Darnell at WMU in 2004. Darnell last coached in 2007.

Virginia:
Southern Virginia wide receivers coach Matthew Edwards has joined the Virginia staff as an offensive analyst. Edwards is the grandson of LaVell Edwards and spent two years at Southern Virginia.

UMass: Former NFL wide receiver Leonard Hankerson has joined the UMass staff. Hankerson played at Miami and played in the NFL from 2011-15, including a stint with the Patriots.

Virginia Tech: Texas strength assistant Charles Simmons has joined the Virginia Tech staff as an assistant strength and conditioning coach. Simmons spent the spring in Austin and previously worked at Baylor.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Jim Harbaugh’s support staff is smaller this year, and that’s by design.

Harbaugh said around nine jobs will be unfilled compared to last year, according to MLive.com. With so many people coming in and then taking a better job elsewhere, Harbaugh is expanding duties.

"We had a very large staff the first two seasons we were at Michigan and it can be too much," Harbaugh said at Big Ten Media Days. "Too many people with too much access."

He added, "We've taken the approach of not hiring every job when somebody leaves and taken the approach of consolidating jobs, where people are now doing multiple jobs and I'm excited about that. I feel like it can be better managed. I feel like it can be better organized. That's the direction we're going."

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Meanwhile, Kentucky.......KENTUCKY!! adds a former SEC DC to their support staff...

Kentucky: Former South Florida safeties coach John Jancek has joined the Kentucky staff as a defensive consultant, according to WNML. Jancek spent the last year at USF and previously worked as Tennessee defensive coordinator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.