Coaching quality: The Case against Kirby Smart (and for Dan Mullen)

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
On a serious note, Dan does look like a better game day coach, except when we play Ga and look unprepared and conservative.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FLA-7-IMG4.jpg

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not until he beats him head to head. Until then, he’s Bang’s btch.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It's really irrelevant who the better coach is. No head coach wins games and championships on his own, or does so with subpar talent. To date, Smart has shown that he understands this by his hires(somewhat out of a coach's control due to budgeting, but still) and his emphasis on "out-manning" others via "relentless"(remember that word, Dan?) recruiting. Mullen has shown that he does not value those things in the same manner. Until that changes, or until Smart's approach wears off and he isn't' playing with superior players, we will struggle head to head.

I like Mullen. But articles like this make it seem as if we're trying to convince ourselves of something. It's year 3(or will be in Sep '21). It's time to stop talking about potential and actually taking that next step. I truly hope that we will, and think we can. But it's not going to happen simply based on Mullen's supposed superiority as a coach.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
It's really irrelevant who the better coach is. No head coach wins games and championships on his own, or does so with subpar talent. To date, Smart has shown that he understands this by his hires(somewhat out of a coach's control due to budgeting, but still) and his emphasis on "out-manning" others via "relentless"(remember that word, Dan?) recruiting. Mullen has shown that he does not value those things in the same manner. Until that changes, or until Smart's approach wears off and he isn't' playing with superior players, we will struggle head to head.

I like Mullen. But articles like this make it seem as if we're trying to convince ourselves of something. It's year 3(or will be in Sep '21). It's time to stop talking about potential and actually taking that next step. I truly hope that we will, and think we can. But it's not going to happen simply based on Mullen's supposed superiority as a coach.
All it convinced me of is the fact that great players generally outperform great coaches.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Two words: wrist bands

Also, how often does the coach with the losing record get called "the better coach"? Weird.
No denying that was bad. But Georgia isn’t our only opponent and Mullen has generally performed better as a coach - if the entire record is considered. He’s not good enough to overcome a talent advantage, apparently. But I’ll let you get back to your Dawg lovin ;)

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen keeps winning recruiting will take care of itself. Kirbys luster is starting to wear off and recruiting will start to reflect

How is Kirby’s luster wearing off? He’s kicking our ass on the field and in recruiting with no tangible evidence that’s going to end anytime soon. With Miami and fsu in shambles we still can’t land elite in state prospects while uga loads up and the rest of the powers are cherry picking Florida talent.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And as far as Mullen the coach the only thing that saved his ass last year was Franks getting hurt or we’d have lost 3-4 more games including a 2 game losing streak to Kentucky

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Losers use Mickey mouse numbers and stats to prove their winners, winners just win. I'm not saying Mullen is a loser and I believe he'll over take Kirby but articles like this are sad.

The biggest red flag outside of recruiting for me with Mullen is what @-THE DUDE- just mentioned. How the fck could he possibly believe Frank's was the best option last year?

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
17-36
17-24

SEC Titles: 0 - 1
Playoff appearances: 0 - 1

Seasons as Head coach in SEC: 11 - 4

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
And as far as Mullen the coach the only thing that saved his ass last year was Franks getting hurt or we’d have lost 3-4 more games including a 2 game losing streak to Kentucky

This is an area I must agree. I am was baffled that in every O&B Game...Trask looked better.

Last edited:

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
How is Kirby’s luster wearing off? He’s kicking our ass on the field and in recruiting with no tangible evidence that’s going to end anytime soon. With Miami and fsu in shambles we still can’t land elite in state prospects while uga loads up and the rest of the powers are cherry picking Florida talent.
last I checked We are top 10 in recruiting for 2021 Georgia is 13 I know wins are all that matters but prospects are starting to see Mullen is a great coach and Kirby is not the next coming of Saban and the ass kicking will stop this year and we will be kicking ass

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
last I checked We are top 10 in recruiting for 2021 Georgia is 13 I know wins are all that matters but prospects are starting to see Mullen is a great coach and Kirby is not the next coming of Saban and the ass kicking will stop this year and we will be kicking ass

Yeah our 20 commits vs their 11. Their star average is higher and will likely land multiple 5* again while we get 0. But sure we’re right on the cusp of greatness

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2:

Day drinking is fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator