Coaching search 2021

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The consumer doesn't have the responsibility of doing what's best for the business long term. I do. So while I'd love to fire any given employee on any given day I can't because I need every body.
Firing somebody without a replacement means you'll make a desperate and likely disastrous hire that you are sure to regret. We have a long history of that. You have to have a plan.
Mullen will be gone sooner or later. Who has the credentials to replace him not named Nick, Urban or even Dabo?
Understood, i was just going with ur analogy. We can as questions of each other all day that's the point of these boards.
Once again i was just running with ur analogy.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Blah, blah, blah. Maybe message boards aren't for you. We discuss every minuscule detail of the athletic department and yet nobody can suggest a legitimate replacement for Mullen.
Perhaps they arent for you. You dont have a logical rebuttal on this one. I'm fine with someone like you offering up ideas, its great for offseason discussion, but its irrelevant to the actual process because outside of feedback about the existing product, our opinion to the AD doesn't matter.

I can name a few people, but again, its irrelevant, however, to appease you here goes:

Ive liked PJ Fleck for a while and given Florida recruiting advantages and our national brand, I think he would do very well. He's young and energetic, and unlike mullen, he focuses on all aspects of the game. I was on record about him long before he took the Minnesota gig. The typical responses by naysayers would be lack of southeastern recruiting chops, experience, etc. I have a hard time believing that he would be worse than mullen in that regard so it would be an improvement regardless, only question is by how much.

Kyle Wittingham is also a guy I like and has done a good job with a program that will never have any talent. Again, solid HC who effectively manages all aspect of the team. I think he would do pretty well with florida talent and our brand backing. Similar knocks I'm sure but my response would be similar.

I also believe Lincoln Riley could be had if we were truly invested in what it takes to secure a top level HC. Oklahoma gets good talent, but not great and his offenses do exceptionally well with it but its a long shot they will ever win a title in todays football world. If he really wants to win he needs SEC level talent. Where better than the state of Florida?

So there's a few names although it doesnt matter. The problem I have isnt with someone suggesting candidate options. The problem I have is someone suggesting that one can't have a valid gripe without first qualifying it by providing a better option. The problem I have with "so who would YOU hire" is that it's used as a tool to shut down the conversation by those that don't want to entertain the notion that there's a problem. I don't need to provide a solution to know there's a problem, especially when my opinion on the fix is irrelevant and will never be considered by decision makers.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Perhaps they arent for you. You dont have a logical rebuttal on this one. I'm fine with someone like you offering up ideas, its great for offseason discussion, but its irrelevant to the actual process because outside of feedback about the existing product, our opinion to the AD doesn't matter.

I can name a few people, but again, its irrelevant, however, to appease you here goes:

Ive liked PJ Fleck for a while and given Florida recruiting advantages and our national brand, I think he would do very well. He's young and energetic, and unlike mullen, he focuses on all aspects of the game. I was on record about him long before he took the Minnesota gig. The typical responses by naysayers would be lack of southeastern recruiting chops, experience, etc. I have a hard time believing that he would be worse than mullen in that regard so it would be an improvement regardless, only question is by how much.

Kyle Wittingham is also a guy I like and has done a good job with a program that will never have any talent. Again, solid HC who effectively manages all aspect of the team. I think he would do pretty well with florida talent and our brand backing. Similar knocks I'm sure but my response would be similar.

I also believe Lincoln Riley could be had if we were truly invested in what it takes to secure a top level HC. Oklahoma gets good talent, but not great and his offenses do exceptionally well with it but its a long shot they will ever win a title in todays football world. If he really wants to win he needs SEC level talent. Where better than the state of Florida?

So there's a few names although it doesnt matter. The problem I have isnt with someone suggesting candidate options. The problem I have is someone suggesting that one can't have a valid gripe without first qualifying it by providing a better option. The problem I have with "so who would YOU hire" is that it's used as a tool to shut down the conversation by those that don't want to entertain the notion that there's a problem. I don't need to provide a solution to know there's a problem, especially when my opinion on the fix is irrelevant and will never be considered by decision makers.

Meh.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
and there you have it... even when options are presented, it's met with "meh" at best. The whole "name your replacement" game is just that, a game. :lol:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
and there you have it... even when options are presented, it's met with "meh" at best. The whole "name your replacement" game is just that, a game. :lol:
Fleck's never been south of the Mason Dixen line
Whittingham is a Mormon and ain't leaving Mormon heaven.
Neither have impressive records on the field or recruiting.
Lincoln Riley is a thought. "Oklahoma went on to lose the 2018 Rose Bowl to Georgia in double overtime 54–48." Or not.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Fleck's never been south of the Mason Dixen line
Whittingham is a Mormon and ain't leaving Mormon heaven.
Neither have impressive records on the field or recruiting.
Lincoln Riley is a thought. "Oklahoma went on to lose the 2018 Rose Bowl to Georgia in double overtime 54–48." Or not.
And jimbo is a 3 to 4 ACC loss per year coach despite being a high level recruiter who's teams seem to peak around year 3 and then make a steady decline thereafter, even in the ACC. We can all sit around, throw names at a dartboard, and critique each other's candidates till the cows come home, but the name and the critique is nothing but personal opinion - yours is not better than anyone elses.

Admit it, this isn't about providing a solution before discussing a problem at all for you. That's just a smokescreen.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So, this hypothetical is so hypothetical. Unless and until we have back to back LOSING seasons or CDM decides to leave for greener pastures, there will be no coaching search until he decides to retire.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So, this hypothetical is so hypothetical. Unless and until we have back to back LOSING seasons or CDM decides to leave for greener pastures, there will be no coaching search until he decides to retire.
While i have little faith in strychnine and the admin overall, i dont believe it takes multiple losing seasons in a row to fire someone.

He's certainly safe for now, but if he lays an egg next year which (with the current roster and current coaching staff) is very possible, his seat gets very warm very quickly. Another less than stellar season to follow it up and he's gone; neither season needs to be a losing one. Trajectory may change and his shelf life prolonged if he jettisons the dead weight but keeping granthem and making excuses minimizes the amount of patience and time left on the clock.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What would define laying an egg? It’s almost a given we’ll end up over .500 given the weakness of the East.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
While i have little faith in strychnine and the admin overall, i dont believe it takes multiple losing seasons in a row to fire someone.

He's certainly safe for now, but if he lays an egg next year which (with the current roster and current coaching staff) is very possible, his seat gets very warm very quickly. Another less than stellar season to follow it up and he's gone; neither season needs to be a losing one. Trajectory may change and his shelf life prolonged if he jettisons the dead weight but keeping granthem and making excuses minimizes the amount of patience and time left on the clock.
By losing, I really didn't mean a less than .500 season, just two in row where we lost to teams we shouldn't have. Us alumni and such do expect more than 7 wins a year.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
By losing, I really didn't mean a less than .500 season, just two in row where we lost to teams we shouldn't have. Us alumni and such do expect more than 7 wins a year.
Copy, but considering you posted this...

until we have back to back LOSING seasons
one can see how we would think you are saying it takes multiple sub .500 seasons.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
And jimbo is a 3 to 4 ACC loss per year coach despite being a high level recruiter who's teams seem to peak around year 3 and then make a steady decline thereafter, even in the ACC. We can all sit around, throw names at a dartboard, and critique each other's candidates till the cows come home, but the name and the critique is nothing but personal opinion - yours is not better than anyone elses.

Admit it, this isn't about providing a solution before discussing a problem at all for you. That's just a smokescreen.

Huh?
You know who bytches about problems but don't want to hear a solution? Women.
If you don't have a solution then you're just whining.

I want to know who we should go after that is available and slam/dunk upgrade. Admittedly Lincoln Riley makes me a little wet.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Huh?
You know who bytches about problems but don't want to hear a solution? Women.
If you don't have a solution then you're just whining.

I want to know who we should go after that is available and slam/dunk upgrade. Admittedly Lincoln Riley makes me a little wet.
I already provided you 3 names. And each are every bit as good as the 1 you provided, plus none of them are detested by gators, and none of them have proven themselves capable of sucking like t's mom while having more talent than most every team they play. You poo poo'd them all meaning youre really not interested in alternatives or solutions, just what YOU think is a solution.

The wife griping without a solution analogy is still not relevant unless you think Strychnine reads this board and is just waiting for us to give him some names to go after. If that is the case, "hey strick, make riley an offer he can't turn down and tell him to select a top SEC defensive mind before he shows up."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What would define laying an egg? It’s almost a given we’ll end up over .500 given the weakness of the East.
Yeah... the East is so pathetic it is hard to imagine having another 4 win season.

Of course, I thought that in 2013 and 2017 too.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Durty often turns out to be far smarter than I give him credit for. He’s made my point far better than I did.

This idea that there’s no Saban available so we just have to live with mediocrity is ridiculous.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Durty often turns out to be far smarter than I give him credit for. He’s made my point far better than I did.

This idea that there’s no Saban available so we just have to live with mediocrity is ridiculous.
Durty just looks like a hick. Dont underestimate him.

Threat remains a passive aggressive Mullen nutswinger, the deep down he too knows this year was the high water mark of the Mullen Error.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen is pretty much perfect for the current climate and admin, so I don't see him going anywhere for a little while. In the meantime though, we should sharpen our pitchforks and stockpile tar and feathers.
It really is up to Mullen. He needs to look in the mirror and challenge himself to do some things outside his comfort zone.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen is pretty much perfect for the current climate and admin, so I don't see him going anywhere for a little while.

I've read some web chatter that CDM's name will/has already come up during the NFL silly season. And on sports pages, not "Twatter from mom's basement" type sites, because I don't visit "Twatter from mom's basement" type sites. Or even "Twatter from Carib's mom's basement" type sites, where it seems most of the denizens of the PF post from these days.

I know it is a wild longshot, but I suppose there's a tiny chance CDM could be lured to the NFL. Were that to happen, this exercise would be applicable to this off-season, obviously.

I really can't think of a single soul that'd be a slam-dunk candidate that we'd have a realistic shot at landing. I think Riley at OU is very good, and we're going to see firsthand tomorrow as they rack up 650 yards on us. But he's not leaving OU for anything other than a plumb NFL gig, I'd bet.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Let's face it, we're hard on coaches. Somebody gonna take this schit on for the money, we know that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb