Coaching Staff Updates: Robinson named linebackers coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
In addition to Drew Hughes, on-campus recruiting director John Herron and program assistant Ryan Smith are no longer on Florida’s support staff.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's okay, this is who we got (Edit: I know it's a move up for Drew and that is not Lee's title, but..............).
DPvtry3UMAA3pJd.jpg:large
Where did she get those beads?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Florida: Per source, Copiah CC (JC – MS) defensive coordinator Otis Yelverton has been hired as an assistant director of player personnel.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Guess the only coach left is the safties coach/probably Ron English.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Florida: Per source, Copiah CC (JC – MS) defensive coordinator Otis Yelverton has been hired as an assistant director of player personnel.
Quick Google of this guy shows he has a shady reputation. Hope it doesn't back fire.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Nice story on Christian Robinson:

Born to Coach: Gators Assistant Christian Robinson a Natural
Florida's new inside linebackers coach didn't waste any time after his playing career to decide what career path to follow.

http://floridagators.com/news/2018/1/7/scott-carter-christian-robinson-feature.aspx

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Regardless of where he has traveled over the past decade, Christian Robinson took to the road with a sturdy friend.

Robinson has steered his 2003 GMC Yukon on the road to high school games, college getaways, distant jobs and family gatherings.

"That thing has been everywhere,'' Robinson said while seated inside his office at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

With that in mind, imagine the look of excitement that sprouted across Robinson's face when Nancy Scarborough, the longtime executive assistant inside Florida's football office, dropped off a set of keys to a dealer car and paperwork for Robinson to sign as part of his latest job.

New city. New job. New wheels.

"Getting a car, this is when you know you are starting to move up a little I guess,'' quipped Robinson, the fresh-faced newcomer who could easily sneak into a uniform next season and pass as a player.

Instead, the 27-year-old Robinson is the youngest coach on Dan Mullen's staff and spent last season working as a graduate assistant at Mississippi State. His season in Starkville followed a two-year stint as a graduate assistant at Ole Miss and a two-year introduction at Georgia, his alma mater, as a graduate assistant.

Robinson's first full-time college coaching job comes five years since he played his final snap in 2013 during training camp with the St. Louis Rams. Unlike many young players chasing NFL dreams, Robinson didn't need much time to pivot toward coaching.

He has two people to thank for that: his father, Ken Robinson, and Todd Grantham, Florida's new defensive coordinator and Georgia's defensive coordinator for part of Robinson's career with the Bulldogs from 2008-12.

"I grew up just wanting to be like my dad,'' Robinson said.

Ken Robinson played at South Carolina in the mid-1980s for head coach Joe Morrison. He did enough with the Gamecocks to earn a shot with the Washington Redskins, including in 1987 when Washington won the Super Bowl as Robinson spent the season on injured reserve.

A linebacker like his son, Ken Robinson immediately shifted his focus toward coaching when he was cut by the Redskins in late 1988. He talked to Morrison about becoming a graduate assistant.

Tragically, before the plan came to fruition, Morrison, a star for the New York Giants throughout the 1960s, died of a heart attack in February 1989 at age 51.

"So I got sidetracked,'' Ken Robinson said. "After that, I chose to go the corporate route. I managed trucking companies for a long time."

Ken Robinson eventually found his way into coaching at Greater Atlanta Christian in the early 2000s. He is now defensive coordinator at North Oconee (Ga.) High outside of Athens.

"He was my coach all growing up except for one year,'' said Christian, an all-state linebacker/tight end at Greater Atlanta Christian. "It was a blessing."

Perhaps never more so than when Christian, days after being cut by the Rams, sat down at the family table back in Georgia to discuss his future with his father.

He was 22, just months removed from being the defensive quarterback for Georgia and directing fellow linebackers Jarvis Jones and Alec Ogletree from his spot at middle linebacker.

Jones and Ogletree were on their way to NFL success. Seven Bulldog defensive players were picked in the 2013 draft. Christian was not.

Meanwhile, as his son pondered his future, Ken Robinson didn't tell Christian what he should do but offered a veteran's perspective. The stories about how few players get to pick their own exit. Tales of how his knee and neck still hurt from his days as a player. He told Christian that perhaps he could make some money in the NFL, but for his future health and potential impact on others, the pursuit of a coaching career offered great rewards.

"Like all of us, we go through these crossroads in our lives,'' Ken said. "You take those things you learn from the game, those difficulties are there to test you to see if you really want that. It's been five years for him kind of climbing the mountain.

"When I got the news that this was going to happen for him, you cried tears of joy. I really believe he's been built for this. I think he's going to do a great job."

Robinson wasn't sure what his future held after Mullen left Mississippi State to return to Florida in late November. When Grantham soon followed, the thoughts of joining them certainly crossed Robinson's mind.

He finished his stay at Mississippi State by helping the Bulldogs beat Louisville in the Taxslayer Bowl. A week later he was on his way to UF to become a Gator.

There was no way he was going to pass up an opportunity to continue to work with Grantham, a veteran defensive coordinator in the NFL and SEC.

"Coaching is pretty much all I ever wanted to do,'' Robinson said. "My dad is 100 percent the biggest influence on my life in football, and Coach Grantham is second. Coach Grantham just has a great record with people and a track record as a coach. This is a guy who I need to be with."

"He's always been a student,'' Ken Robinson said. "I think the best players are those who not only know what to do, but they get to the why. So I've kind of always seen that. What's the why behind this. That's always been there."

Robinson is eager to make an impact with the Gators. He began texting players to introduce himself as soon as he was hired. Fittingly, the first player he met in person was David Reese, Florida's returning middle linebacker.

While he is not much older than team's veteran players, Robinson plans to use that to his advantage. He can relate to them in a more recent way. All he needs to do is put on tape or direct them to YouTube clips of him playing the Gators and other teams from earlier this decade.

Robinson is young with a veteran's outlook.

"It's just an honor and privilege, one, to be here, because I know this program has so much history,'' he said. "Those championship trophies in Coach Mullen's office, that's the goal. I know they have an expectation and that's what we're going to try to put in the players. Those goals you lay out there are only attainable through hard work."

Robinson has worked hard to get where he is. Those keys to that dealer car are just another reminder.

GETTING TO KNOW CHRISTIAN ROBINSON

Q: What's your favorite meal?

A: I have gotten pretty fond of good taco places. It's probably my favorite food now.

image_handler.aspx

Q: Favorite movie?

A: I've always like "Remember The Titans". It's cliché, but I can't remember prior to that many movies I went to the theater to see. My whole family went and my dad being a football coach, reminded me of Coach Boone.

Q: Best day you ever had on a football field?

A: Georgia Tech my senior year. When I broke my foot, I didn't get to play whole games near the end. Georgia Tech was one of the few games Coach Grantham let me play the whole game and I had a bunch of tackles and just went out with a bang in a rivalry game. Probably my most fun just playing.

Q: Impression of Florida's program as an outsider?

A: I never got to play here, but I've been here one time before. I just remember being here, that feeling of people being on top of you, that feeling coupled with knowing the type of players you can get in this state. They know they are good and they want to be developed. I'm just glad to be a part of what we're going to do here. The players, if they just come and do what they are supposed to, there is no reason why we can't be a premier school in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.