Cold weather pipes

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Supposed to get below freezing tonight and I've been hearing a lot of talk about prepping your pumbling and pipes in preparation for this. We have not had freezing temps here in probably 10 years or so but I never remember doing any of this before. Anyway I plan on letting the pool pump run all night and wrapping the water line that comes into the house.

I've also heard it is smart to leave one spigot slightly running outside to keep the rest of your plumbing from freezing with the warmer water running through the lines. I can keep one next to the pool running with a hose going into the pool.

Also my irrigation which pumps from the lake is set to run tomorrow morning(it comes on at 5AM. Should I let it run or shut the system down and wrap the pipe that feeds the pump from the lake?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets 26 or below. Just leave a faucet dripping,

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets 26 or below. Just leave a faucet dripping,
Looks like they've moved us up to 32-34 anyway so probably nothing burger but I will run the pool pump and leave that spigot on slightly. I wrapped the irrigation pump in a big blanket and turned the system off. I also went to the office and wrapped the backflow in a towel as I heard they can crack and leak from even a mild freeze.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They predict 23 for us tonight so I stripped my sutsuma tree of all but 1 of its fruit. I want to see how it holds up to a freeze.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Temps got down to 19 degrees on Saturday morning. We typically don't do anything to prevent our pipes from freezing and this time was no different. IMO, as long as the water pipes aren't in an exterior wall then there is little concern. My wife did go down to her mother's house and open a cabinet and leave a faucet dripping in the kitchen sink but the water pipes DO go up the exterior wall so there was a possibility of them freezing but it didn't happen.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
In the spirit of this thread, I let concrete's mother drain my pipes...

:grin:
She mentioned something about a fella with a cute little gherkin...
R.6384baeba7565b531920e74649331dae

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We are bracing for a potential ice storm tonight. Temps will be single digits by Saturday. We should be ok as long as we have power. If not we will have to worry about the inside plumbing. The major bathroom model upstairs has now fixed freezing issues we had in the past with extremely low temps. Hoping for the best! This sucks. When do we move south?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We are bracing for a potential ice storm tonight. Temps will be single digits by Saturday. We should be ok as long as we have power. If not we will have to worry about the inside plumbing. The major bathroom model upstairs has now fixed freezing issues we had in the past with extremely low temps. Hoping for the best! This sucks. When do we move south?

I heard Biden was excited to attend the Kentucky Derby this year.

He changed his mind after Jen Psaki explained what "riding a 3 year old" actually meant.

Alex.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Prepare well.....and whatever you do use as much NG as possible....in fact once you're warm just unhook the tie in to your house and your neighbors too... pass the word...must use a lot of natural gas..:lol:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Prepare well.....and whatever you do use as much NG as possible....in fact once you're warm just unhook the tie in to your house and your neighbors too... pass the word...must use a lot of natural gas..:lol:

We are on a farm and can’t connect to the city gas line but have several propane tanks. Even better though we use an inverter that connects to the truck battery so it runs all day. It’s great since it has a large gas tank.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You can always shut off your water supply line and drain at your lowest faucet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator