College Football Sucks Now

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If we expand to 8 it's gotta be top 8, no auto slots for conf champs. What if NW beats tOSU or Pitt beat Clemson? Would they deserve to play for NC? NO. In any case, expansion is yrs down the road. Current format and ESPN contract for it is good into the next decade.

But if we learned anything from yesterday it's that, in most cases, there aren't even four great teams in any given year. The Clemson game was a bloodbath, and even though there was a measure of intrigue because of Murray and the Sooner offense, after the 5:54 mark in the first quarter, that game was never even with single digits. For all the clamoring about who should've gotten in, the fact is teams like Ou, Osu, and uga all had really good seasons, but clearly weren't great. Good for you. Go play in a bowl game and let the legit title contenders play for it all. I'm fine with the playoff because there have been some cases where a 3rd team is on the outside looking. Anything beyond that is a terrible idea.

And as I said, the moment you start looking at 8, you're officially saying a 3-loss NC winner is acceptable. Teams 9-11(UF, Lsu and UW) all had 3 blemishes, and in a normal year with no Ucf, one of those teams would've been in. That's ridiculous.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I know its a rinse and repeat but I am still glad there is some football left. Hopefully DM and UF are on track to step up and challenge those two.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone clamoring for an increase in playoff teams must really love bama, bc that will further solidify them as the eventual winner. You start making everyone play round after round, the only team left standing and capable is the one that has talent and depth for miles. Expanding the sytem won't do anything beneficial. It will do the exact opposite, further destroying cfb.

fasonfan

Jesus Saves
Nov 1, 2017
But if we learned anything from yesterday it's that, in most cases, there aren't even four great teams in any given year. The Clemson game was a bloodbath, and even though there was a measure of intrigue because of Murray and the Sooner offense, after the 5:54 mark in the first quarter, that game was never even with single digits. For all the clamoring about who should've gotten in, the fact is teams like Ou, Osu, and uga all had really good seasons, but clearly weren't great. Good for you. Go play in a bowl game and let the legit title contenders play for it all. I'm fine with the playoff because there have been some cases where a 3rd team is on the outside looking. Anything beyond that is a terrible idea.

And as I said, the moment you start looking at 8, you're officially saying a 3-loss NC winner is acceptable. Teams 9-11(UF, Lsu and UW) all had 3 blemishes, and in a normal year with no Ucf, one of those teams would've been in. That's ridiculous.
How about 6 with two getting byes?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Notre Dame getting preferential treatment damages the sport, period. They wouldn't win the ACC if they played 8 games and a championship game.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Notre Dame getting preferential treatment damages the sport, period. They wouldn't win the ACC if they played 8 games and a championship game.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the general preferential treatment. But honestly, when you look at their schedule this year, on paper it's legit. They played Michigan, Stanford, fsu, USC and VaTech, plus smaller games against ranked Syracuse and Northwestern squads. Their cupcakes were Vanderbilt, Pitt, Wake and Ball State. Not necessarily a gauntlet, but not a pushover either. It just happens that several of those big names were terrible this year. But it's hard to knock them for playing that schedule and going undefeated. So while it's true they get special attention because of who they are, I'm not sure any P5 school winning out against that schedule isn't making it into a final four, especially when at least one participant is going to have a loss.

Again, they are everything that's wrong with expanding the base. No one thinks they're elite or that they'd compete with either Clemson or Alabama. But someone has to go, and they're undefeated. BCS days, they're getting shellacked by an Lsu type in the Fiesta. Today, we waste time and give them their shot. It's terrible.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Ox wants year round college ball and 10 different signing periods. Frequent coaching searches aren't bad for business either. :)

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone clamoring for an increase in playoff teams must really love bama, bc that will further solidify them as the eventual winner. You start making everyone play round after round, the only team left standing and capable is the one that has talent and depth for miles. Expanding the sytem won't do anything beneficial. It will do the exact opposite, further destroying cfb.
Bullcrap. It'll negate the stupid conference champ mindtrap that's boondoggling the system.

THESE ARE NOT EQUAL CONFERENCES.

Not by any stretch. We need eight teams.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Bullcrap. It'll negate the stupid conference champ mindtrap that's boondoggling the system.

THESE ARE NOT EQUAL CONFERENCES.

Not by any stretch. We need eight teams.

So you’re ok with a 3 loss team playing for it all? And you’re good with a team mailing it the last week(or weeks) of the season, essentially killing great games like UF/fsu and the Iron Bowl, so they can rest up for the playoffs?

I hate that ’96, ‘06 and ‘08 all contain a loss, respectable or not. I can’t even imagine having 2-3 losses, or watching Mizzou or Usce beat us by 30 points and still having an ounce of pride in winning a title.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
UGA is closing on Bama Fast.

Mullen looks like a Contender if we can up the talent.

I'd like an 8 team playoff.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So you’re ok with a 3 loss team playing for it all? And you’re good with a team mailing it the last week(or weeks) of the season, essentially killing great games like UF/fsu and the Iron Bowl, so they can rest up for the playoffs?

I hate that ’96, ‘06 and ‘08 all contain a loss, respectable or not. I can’t even imagine having 2-3 losses, or watching Mizzou or Usce beat us by 30 points and still having an ounce of pride in winning a title.
How often does that happen? In shytty years only. Answer is yes.

I want eight teams to reduce the possibility of crappy conference champions automatically making it to the Final Four.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Dont disagree with your overall premise, but you could also argue that the playoff(in some respects) is ruining college football. There has only been a handful of true semifinal games. The rest have been pointless scrimmages that simply delay the inevitable NC game. Neither of these games had any business being played. And what’s worse, they’ll use these blowouts to play the what-if game and demand an expansion, only further ruining things.

Yep, the playoffs suck. Should have kept it the way it was, #1 vs. #2 for all the marbles.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Playoff sucks. Get your Christmas tree down. Put the big bowl games back on New Years Day. Eat your black eyed peas.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
How often does that happen? In shytty years only. Answer is yes.

I want eight teams to reduce the possibility of crappy conference champions automatically making it to the Final Four.

What about this year? Was this a bad year in your eyes? Because there were three 3-loss teams knocking on the door—one being one of those “crappy conference champions” you’re worried about.

A better question would be how many years since the inception of the BCS has there been an valid argument that two teams were left out in a controversial finish? I can’t think of any. In fact, I only recall a handful of years where there was one team that had a legit case of being possibly slighted(Au ‘04, um ‘00 and ut ‘08). In nearly every year, even that system got it right with only giving two teams a shot.

For the record, I fully agree that there shouldn’t be an automatic qualifier for conference winners. No debate there. But you were convinced that uga was one of the top 3 teams in the country. So how many tries should they be granted to beat Alabama. Technically, in an 8 team playoff, they could lose their opening round, but still warrant advancing because of what you or others ”feel”. So when does it end and some other team is awarded a shot at unseating the champs?

Bottom line, the playoff starts Labor Day weekend. You have 12-13 chances to make your claim. If you fail, enjoy your bowl game and stop whining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator