Colts release Rainey - he rants on Twitter

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n26238 said:
This statement goes too far. Clearly, though, we paid a price for those two NCs from the perspectives of image/standards/character, etc. Two related questions: 1. In this day and age, is it even possible to build a roster at a Power 5 school with high character kids like Danny Wuerffel and Tim Tebow? 2. If that is even possible today - can you win with them? Or, does each school have to hold their nose and populate rosters with thugs or kids that have no business in college simply to win football (and basketball) games?
Thugs aren't required to win anything other than the Fulmer Cup. The vast majority of kids never get into any trouble and are solid student athletes. If you want to know if championships can be won with those type kids, look no further than what Billy D has done in the last decade. Sure, we've had a few disciplinary issues like a stolen taco and some weed, but I would hardly think those transgressions classify the kids as thugs.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n26238 said:
This statement goes too far. Clearly, though, we paid a price for those two NCs from the perspectives of image/standards/character, etc.

Two related questions:

1. In this day and age, is it even possible to build a roster at a Power 5 school with high character kids like Danny Wuerffel and Tim Tebow?

2. If that is even possible today - can you win with them?

Or, does each school have to hold their nose and populate rosters with thugs or kids that have no business in college simply to win football (and basketball) games?

People don't care nearly as much about stuff coming out later as they do the success on the field. People will say the PC line that is expected but how many fans would want to give up those NC's just because some idiots were a big part of it.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Totally agree with MJM on this. You can play like a complete animal and not be a thug, look at Mike Singletary for one, there a lot of examples out there in all sports.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n26238 said:
This statement goes too far. Clearly, though, we paid a price for those two NCs from the perspectives of image/standards/character, etc.

Two related questions:

1. In this day and age, is it even possible to build a roster at a Power 5 school with high character kids like Danny Wuerffel and Tim Tebow?

2. If that is even possible today - can you win with them?

Or, does each school have to hold their nose and populate rosters with thugs or kids that have no business in college simply to win football (and basketball) games?

I don't often defend Dork, but he's right. Every new episode of these former Gators that played under Meyer doing stupid, dangerous, and illegal activities greatly blemish those two NCs in the public's eyes. Thank god Coach Muschamp has cleaned things up around here. If he gets fired at the end of the season or even sooner, I'll still appreciate him for cleaning house like he has.

I don't want to win if it takes cheating and recruiting thugs to do it.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York said:
I don't know anything about the character of your boy, Rainey, but the Colts could really have used his explosiveness in their special teams return game. I wonder as time goes by if Meyer will be remembered more for his bad seeds than NC's.
No, No they don't.Nothing excuses Rainey's behavior or Hernandes' or anyone else's.Winning the super bowl doesn't override or change the fact that Ray Lewis is a murdering scumbag who should be in prison.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
Gatorbreath;n26238 said:
This statement goes too far. Clearly, though, we paid a price for those two NCs from the perspectives of image/standards/character, etc. Two related questions: 1. In this day and age, is it even possible to build a roster at a Power 5 school with high character kids like Danny Wuerffel and Tim Tebow? 2. If that is even possible today - can you win with them? Or, does each school have to hold their nose and populate rosters with thugs or kids that have no business in college simply to win football (and basketball) games?
Thugs aren't required to win anything other than the Fulmer Cup. The vast majority of kids never get into any trouble and are solid student athletes. If you want to know if championships can be won with those type kids, look no further than what Billy D has done in the last decade. Sure, we've had a few disciplinary issues like a stolen taco and some weed, but I would hardly think those transgressions classify the kids as thugs.
Maybe you're right. Our attention is drawn to the sensational - especially in this day and age with social media and 24-hour news cycles. Good stuff is under-reported and bad news is sensationalized and run over and over again (probably because it sells).

That said, I sometimes wonder what percentage of student-athletes would qualify for admission to major colleges on academic and non-athletic extracurriculars alone? Have universities lost focus on their mission?

Full disclosure: I was by no means a model student in college......

Full disclosure 2: I find watching Ivy League football as boring as the next guy, so my ramblings are purely theoretical (thug-away if it brings championships!!!) hahahaha

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp has it so clean? Our freaking best player got hurt yesterday in a team brawl. College kids and young people get into trouble it's not just isolated to players meyer recruited.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n26267 said:
Muschamp has it so clean? Our freaking best player got hurt yesterday in a team brawl. College kids and young people get into trouble it's not just isolated to players meyer recruited.

I don't want to get into a Meyer vs. Muschamp thing, but clearly we reached a nadir for thuggery under Meyer - for us, anyway.

Still, there's no disputing his results on the field, for the most part.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n26267 said:

No, he just had a large number of them when compared to others. Hindsight is 20/20 but you can bet your sweet :moon: he was very well aware of the general character of those individuals when he recruited them.

The brawl last night was nothing unusual in football. Lots of testosterone overflowing and competition for starting positions will spark scuffles. Now, if the fighting continues in recurring practices, then we might have something to get worried about.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n26261 said:
Every new episode of these former Gators that played under Meyer doing stupid, dangerous, and illegal activities greatly blemish those two NCs in the public's eyes.
I couldn't care less about the "public's eyes" - they hated the Gators before, during, and after 2008 - and still do today.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n26298 said:
I couldn't care less about the "public's eyes" - they hated the Gators before, during, and after 2008 - and still do today.

SOS always said, "If they like you, they're probably beating you". I don't care if people hate us, but I do care about our public image. I don't ever want UF to be known as ThugU like our rivals in the south.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
Gatorbreath;n26238 said:
There is also a difference in a 12-15 man roster and filling at 90 man roster. As always a few bad apples is all it takes for a bad reputation.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous said:
NavetG8r;n26261 said:
Every new episode of these former Gators that played under Meyer doing stupid, dangerous, and illegal activities greatly blemish those two NCs in the public's eyes.
Exactly - I will take the NC's.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n26224 said:
Owner gets caught drunk driving with enough pills in his car to kill King Kong, nothing happens to him. Player messes around with fire extinguisher, fired.

:exactly:

Players have done far worse than this (ex: Ray Rice) and are still on their teams.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
Captain Sasquatch;n26224 said:
Owner gets caught drunk driving with enough pills in his car to kill King Kong, nothing happens to him. Player messes around with fire extinguisher, fired.

:exactly:

Players have done far worse than this (ex: Ray Rice) and are still on their teams.
Very true... Probably more to it than a fire extinguisher episode...

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Instead of tweeting about it, file a grievance

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n26267 said:
:facepalm:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous said:
I think one lesson is that when you're trying to make a football team and are already on thin ice, don't be a dumbass. It doesn't seem like that hard of a concept to me. Put down the fire extinguisher and go read a book or something.

Also, ripping an ex-teammate on Twitter is certainly going to show the kind of maturity coaches want to see to give you yet another chance. :rolleyes:
Plus snitches get stitches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator