Columbus High builds athletic center; UF finally pours small concrete pad after only 6 yrs

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. Say what you will about Colin Kaepenick, and some of us may disagree with him on the kneeling thing, but he donated money to organizations that advanced his heart-felt cause of awareness in our country that the lives of African Americans matter. As the Nike ad goes, he "Believed in something even when it meant losing everything." He not only put his money where his mouth is, he also devoted his time and his voice to climate change, veganism, and racial injustice causes. Many of these pro athletes are just spoiled consumers, as you correctly point out, ox. But people like Kaepernick and Lebron are the real heroes, and they are setting examples for others who come along behind them.

What did he give up?

His NFL career was rapidly heading towards the end and he was “playing “ out his contract on the sidelines.
The timing was perfect for drawing attention since nobody was paying any attention to his game.

Your version sounds better to BSPN so let’s go with yours.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What did he give up?

His NFL career was rapidly heading towards the end and he was “playing “ out his contract on the sidelines.
The timing was perfect for drawing attention since nobody was paying any attention to his game.

Your version sounds better to BSPN so let’s go with yours.
Most experts agree that with his arm and mobility he could have been a top 10 QB of all-time. He had recently become a vegan, which would have kept him healthy and extended his longevity in the league. No doubt he would have been a HOF, but more importantly, he was the Social Justice icon the league desperately needed at the time, given what is going on in this country right now. They blew a great opportunity and Kaepernick paid the ultimate sacrifice.

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Most experts agree that with his arm and mobility he could have been a top 10 QB of all-time. He had recently become a vegan, which would have kept him healthy and extended his longevity in the league. No doubt he would have been a HOF, but more importantly, he was the Social Justice icon the league desperately needed at the time, given what is going on in this country right now. They blew a great opportunity and Kaepernick paid the ultimate sacrifice.

I think my sarcasm meter is broken. Surely this isn't an honestly held opinion of any human being. But it sounds genuine so I'm confused...:dunno:

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think my sarcasm meter is broken. Surely this isn't an honestly held opinion of any human being. But it sounds genuine so I'm confused...:dunno:
Look, I'm not sure how this awful thread turned political, but I think it's time it, and all the cackling hens who have contributed to it, get moved to the Political Forum.

As for Kaepernick and LeBron, they are just two guys using their voice to speak out against injustice and using their fame to advance a believed-in cause. They have risked everything to do so. They are no different from Danny Wuerfel and Tim Tebow in that respect. We should be lauding them.

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Look, I'm not sure how this awful thread turned political, but I think it's time it, and all the cackling hens who have contributed to it, get moved to the Political Forum.

As for Kaepernick and LeBron, they are just two guys using their voice to speak out against injustice and using their fame to advance a believed-in cause. They have risked everything to do so. They are no different from Danny Wuerfel and Tim Tebow in that respect. We should be lauding them.

So my sarcasm meter isn't broken and you legitimately think Kap is a top 10 all time qb and HOFer? You introduced the politics about this guy who couldn't beat out an aging Alex Smith. Then pick the 2 greatest Gator qbs to lob insults at. What a guy!!

:stirpot: much?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So my sarcasm meter isn't broken and you legitimately think Kap is a top 10 all time qb and HOFer? You introduced the politics about this guy who couldn't beat out an aging Alex Smith. Then pick the 2 greatest Gator qbs to lob insults at. What a guy!!

:stirpot: much?
I agree with you that the cause Wuerfel and Tebow were fighting for is dwarfed in comparison to the one Kaepernick and LeBron are fighting for. Racial injustice is the biggest and most important issue of our time. But Danny and Tim were still using their fame to advance what they believe in, regardless of merit. That deserves some praise.

My opinion of Kaepernick's skill level is less important than the experts who have said he is either a top-flight NFL QB and/or a potential HOFer. Here are just a few:

Jamele Hill
Shaun King
Pete Caroll
Jarrett Bell
Tyler Dragon
Ed Reid
Joe Lockhart

and many, many others.

As far as me "introducing politics" into this thread, that is not true. I was responding to someone else in the thread. I've been accused of a lot of things, but NEVER have I introduced politics into a sports thread. But I do agree with you that this POS thread needs to be moved to the Political forum with the rest of the dross. We have common ground there.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
giphy.gif

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What new upgrade will the non-revenue sports get now?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's UGA's facility, that they didn't take 6 years to build:

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
They've spent over $175M in football facility upgrades since 2016. During that time, we painted the locker room and finally broke ground on a communal facility where the golf and track team will be able to lounge by the pool and get something to eat.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
They've spent over $175M in football facility upgrades since 2016. During that time, we painted the locker room and finally broke ground on a communal facility where the golf and track team will be able to lounge by the pool and get something to eat.
Yeah, we painted the concrete block walls in the locker room. One coat, as two would have been too pricey.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, we painted the concrete block walls in the locker room. One coat, as two would have been too pricey.
I love how the dick heads waited around until the cost of materials tripled or quadrupled.

no one "saves" money like Foley and company.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I'm not sure why no one is comforted that during this period we've always been in the running for the NACDA Directors' Cup. We've never won it of course, but we're top 5 almost every year.

upload_2021-5-21_5-51-19.png

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure why no one is comforted that during this period we've always been in the running for the NACDA Directors' Cup. We've never won it of course, but we're top 5 almost every year.

Yeah, but we are sometimes #1 public achool though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.