Commission to look at major restructuring of college sports

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Not sure if anyone saw this but the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate athletics just notified the NCAA that they are going to examine new models to restructure college sports. Per the press release "citing the challenges created by the “highly commercialized environment” for Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) football and some NCAA Division I sports, particularly men’s basketball."

In an appearance last week at a Sports Business Journal conference in New York, Duncan offered some restructuring ideas that might be explored. For example, big-revenue athletics programs might be placed in a new division or organized and managed outside of the NCAA.​

“Just let them play by a different set of rules – and be upfront about it and be honest about it,” said Duncan, the former U.S. Secretary of Education.​

The existing structure of the NCAA “works extraordinarily well for 95, 96, 97 percent of students and schools,” Duncan said, but he warned that in Division I revenue sports, the relentless quest for more dollars has driven things “absolutely out of whack, and the best interests of students has been lost.”​

The Knight Commission is an influential body and probably another pre-cursor of a soon to be changing college football structure. I kinda like the idea of a new division managed outside the NCAA with a commissioner that can act swiftly and consistently on these infractions, exceptions, whatever. Force some standardized scheduling. Any opinions or ideas if one were starting over in the college football landscape (P5 only)?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This is likely the beginning of the end when you have to seek help from politicians to tell you how to run your business.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It’s actually a good idea.
do imagine if we went to a scheme of paying the players?

Fooley and Stricklin would leave the SEC and go back to the southern conference.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If this proposed structure would result in cheaters actually being punished properly I would definitely endorse this idea
Unfortunately the more likely outcome will be a competition to see who can cheat the best which isn’t really a change at all

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
As long as Title IX is a thing, no way this happens. Those other sports don’t fund themselves.
I think if one was starting from a clean slate, there can be ways around Title IX, Title IX is only relevant for federal dollars, lets say they restructure in a way that organizationally removes the football program from the University, at least on paper. Challenging, but could be a way to get around it.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I think if one was starting from a clean slate, there can be ways around Title IX, Title IX is only relevant for federal dollars, lets say they restructure in a way that organizationally removes the football program from the University, at least on paper. Challenging, but could be a way to get around it.

Definitely doable. Health care systems for universities do this all the time.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
From a fan’s perspective, this makes sense. From a political perspective, no way. Once women’s sports start crumbling because the cash cow got special privileges, every democrat in Washington will turn it into a campaign issue.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
This is likely the beginning of the end when you have to seek help from politicians to tell you how to run your business.
“business” ... there it is. For the top programs that is all it is. The original intent and whole concept of the Student Athlete had been destroyed.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I agree UF is not ready to compete on this level. They can not commit either way. Perception of education or win at all cost$. We might as well just be Vandy. Their lack of urgency and indecision on facilities is all the evidence needed.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Generally speaking, I believe anything that neuters the power of the NCAA is a great thing.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As long as Title IX is a thing, no way this happens. Those other sports don’t fund themselves.

Thank you for mentioning the one obstacle that will hinder if not stop altogether the changes people want to make.

Any change or benefit that is justified for college football players must be provided to the women's lacrosse players as well or the SJW mob will cascade into the forefront just when you think change is coming.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I will believe this when I see it.

We are now a nation of victims and nothing is immune. It may have been intended to pertain to federal dollars only but any change, constitutional or not, will be made to ensure that others benefit from the effort of a few.
You know kinda like the income tax system

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb