Conference Consolidation - USC and UCLA Moving to Big 10

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Rumors are coming out that UCLA and USC are moving to the Big10 as early as 2024....looks like someone wants to rack up some airline miles

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
There will come a day when people born this year will be completely baffled by any history lesson about conferences when they were based on regional geography.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I wished I cared about the B10 or those two teams in Commiefornication but I don't.

I lied, I don't wish to care about those subjects.

BUT, if I did care, I'd probably say something like, "meh, I really don't care."

Avenger48c

No Longer Cautiously Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2019
Notre Dame to the Big 10 seems like a no brainer now, since all of their biggest rivals are there. I wonder if they'll toss out a newer low tier program (Maryland, maybe?) or add someone else as well; I can't see a conference wanting the scheduling nightmare of an odd number of teams.

I wouldn't mind adding Clemson and giving Mizzou the boot, though I'm not sure how that would work from a contract perspective. They don't belong in the SEC, regardless, and haven't made themselves fit the way A&M has.

If we're not booting someone, I don't want to add Miami or FSUcks and I doubt the tobacco road schools would be willing to split up, so I don't know who else I'd want the SEC to add as another member alongside Clemson. Maybe Oklahoma State?

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
My initial reaction was ukGm72ZLZvYfS.gif

Then realized this will actually keep Ohio State and USC from both cracking the BCS playoffs and likely hurt them more than it helps since that's a LOT of mileage for a college football season.

It will make for an intriguing tv deal though since the country's biggest tv markets will all be represented (NYC, LA, and Chicago--with DC, Detroit, & Minneapolis thrown in for good measure, along with OH and PA). The SEC will have some competition there one would think since TV execs look at market size.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I see 5 power conferences 16 teams coming. I'd also like to see the old SWC come back and the SEC drop Mizzou.

SEC, ACC, BIG ?, PAC, SWC 80 teams

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Notre Dame to the Big 10 seems like a no brainer now, since all of their biggest rivals are there. I wonder if they'll toss out a newer low tier program (Maryland, maybe?) or add someone else as well; I can't see a conference wanting the scheduling nightmare of an odd number of teams.

I wouldn't mind adding Clemson and giving Mizzou the boot, though I'm not sure how that would work from a contract perspective. They don't belong in the SEC, regardless, and haven't made themselves fit the way A&M has.

If we're not booting someone, I don't want to add Miami or FSUcks and I doubt the tobacco road schools would be willing to split up, so I don't know who else I'd want the SEC to add as another member alongside Clemson. Maybe Oklahoma State?

I completely disagree on booting Mizzou and that they don't fit in. Just in case you're ONLY looking at football, UF is 5-6-0 against them since they came into the SEC and is 2-3-0 vs ATM.

Mizzou is a premier addition academically and strong in all sports whereas ATM is meh academically and meh in all sports.

If you want to talk about only two divisions (which won't happen IMO) then perhaps a quick glance at the map will show that we should split the two Alabama schools and keep everything else as is. Just add Texas and Oklahoma to the West and then turn the white line down between Bama and Auburn...
1656616473025.png

Now, if you want to rearrange the teams by adding some SOUTHEASTERN powerhouses like Clemson, UNC, Duke or Va Tech and then losing Mizzou, maybe I could agree with that.

HauntedGator

Dec 14, 2016
Clemson and Louisville...add them, already have a footprint in both states. I agree with you guys, I'd hate Miami and fsu in the SEC.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Or move both Alabama schools into the East like this...
1656617115586.png

...minus Houston and Baylor. I didn't make the map.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Clemson and Louisville...add them, already have a footprint in both states. I agree with you guys, I'd hate Miami and fsu in the SEC.

Correct, eff the Semenholes and SCUM. The noles had their chance and both options would drag down the academic pedigree of the SEC that Vandy, UF and Mizzou now provide.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Gonna only be two conferences in the future. SEC and the Big *.

Ultimately, this is probably correct. No matter what other conferences align to fight the mighty SEC they'll end up creating only 1 super conference to battle the other 16 team powerhouse known as the SEC.

It's the SEC versus everybody else.
:chomp:

Avenger48c

No Longer Cautiously Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2019
I completely disagree on booting Mizzou and that they don't fit in. Just in case you're ONLY looking at football, UF is 5-6-0 against them since they came into the SEC and is 2-3-0 vs ATM.

Mizzou is a premier addition academically and strong in all sports whereas ATM is meh academically and meh in all sports.

Are you a Mizzou fan? If so, you're one of the few. They don't bring the same viewership as A&M and have correspondingly dramatically lower financial support and game attendance, at least in football, and football is what pays the bills. Basketball pays for itself and everything else is going to continue to lose funding as NIL increasingly requires schools to pour football revenue back into football instead of spreading it around to other sports.

A&M's biggest historic rival will be joining the SEC very soon (Texas) and another is already here (Arkansas), and they've made strong rivalries since they came in (LSU and now likely Bama as well). Mizzou's only historic rival that will be coming over is Oklahoma, with their other rivals living in the Big 10 or Big 12, and they haven't managed to really foster any since they've joined the conference. If they left tomorrow, no one would really miss them.

The clear idea is to create a football super conference. Mizzou doesn't feel necessary to that undertaking the way A&M does.

If you want to talk about only two divisions (which won't happen IMO) then perhaps a quick glance at the map will show that we should split the two Alabama schools and keep everything else as is. Just add Texas and Oklahoma to the West and then turn the white line down between Bama and Auburn...
View attachment 45020

Agreed, two divisions won't happen once more teams are added. The SEC has made it pretty clear this off-season that expansion will mean the end of divisions.

Now, if you want to rearrange the teams by adding some SOUTHEASTERN powerhouses like Clemson or Va Tech and then losing Mizzou, maybe I could agree with that.

That was my thought. Either you swap Mizzou for Clemson OR you keep Mizzou and add Clemson + someone else. My thought was Oklahoma State since Oklahoma is coming, but VA Tech would also be a good accompaniment to Clemson. You wouldn't want to just add Clemson because then you'd have an odd number, which makes scheduling a hassle.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

View attachment 45020
Wouldn’t that mean nine teams in the East and seven in the West? Perhaps moving Mizzou at that point would make geographic sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator