Cooter, Help! Zambo gets Betty too hot

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Because your picture's EXIF data says "Orientation Horizontal (normal)".
When you edited your picture you didn't edit your picture orientation data.
Where it should have said "Orientation: Rotate 90"
THERE YA GO. If Gren can post from the great beyond, so can Coot.

All you have to do is have Gren find Cooter, there in heaven, and tell Coot you still have some questions.

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
THERE YA GO. If Gren can post from the great beyond, so can Coot.

All you have to do is have Gren find Cooter, there in heaven, and tell Coot you still have some questions.

I doubt heaven is the location

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Because your picture's EXIF data says "Orientation Horizontal (normal)".
When you edited your picture you didn't edit your picture orientation data.
Where it should have said "Orientation: Rotate 90"

Thanks, I’ll check it out even we get back home. Up in the mountains and the bandwidth is bad. However I don’t recall editing those photos, just posted as is. Could be a setting though on my phone. I’ll look later.

Good to see you again.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well ol' Baja Betty was put on the back burner during the summer as it was too hot to work on her in the driveway. Now that it has cooled down outside and my autumn Baja race is over, its time to get back to work and try to finish that albatross.

The final piece of construction before I can shoot primer on everything inside is the damn ceiling. Total PITA. The problem is that the original ceiling was built into the entire upper assembly which included the cabinets and the roof, and then the whole assembly was bolted to the top of the vehicle. Simply no way to disassemble it and rebuild it that way. So it took way more time that I will ever confess to remove not just the original ceiling that you can see inside the cab, but all the paneling where the ceiling wrapped behind the upper cabinets. It was good to to because it let me replace all the clapped out fiberglass insulation and replace everything with the Thinsulate that I used in the walls. We'll see how well it performs but its gotta be better than the garbage that came out.

I tried sliding paneling behind the cabinets but getting it to make that hard downturn was just impossible no matter how much I pre-bent the panels. So instead I installed the Thinsulate and used a flexible plastic panel product to wrap behind the cabinets, which makes the back wall of the cabinets. Its the white stuff in the picture. I added an extra piece of framework along the edge of the cabinets as a backing plate. Then I cut thin paneling in 2' strips and was able to slide it just far enough inside the cabinets to give it a clean edge and nail it to the ceiling framework. The hard part was sliding the edges of some of these panels under the steel hoops that span crossways across the cabin, but with the wife tapping the edge with a mallet and a piece of wood to avoid denting the panels while I pushed up on the edge to give it enough room to slide in, everything eventually came together. I'll use some thin strips of lattice molding to trim out the gaps between the panels.

I replaced the cheezy RV style overhead lights with some simple snap-in recessed lights and hooked them to a dimmer. Finally the damn ceiling is done. I have to put trim and caulk around the edges of everything when I get back from my next trip and then it'll be time to blast some primer on everything. IMG_0363.JPG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0362.JPG IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0372.JPG IMG_0371.JPG IMG_0375.JPG

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My wife found a video online of the only other one of these RVs I've seen. Plus you have to laugh at weirdo desert people.

Ive actually seen some of this guys videos.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So... who is in on the first Betty to Baja Trip?

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wow I forgot all about this thread. Someone must have changed the title because when I saw the words "destroyed the bathroom" I figured I could lend some expertise.....

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So... who is in on the first Betty to Baja Trip?
I think I have a few shorter trips to log before I attempt something like that in this old beast. She may be mainly for car shows and tailgating and beach trips for a while until I see how reliable its going to be (or not be :lol:).

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Starting to come together a bit more. Finished painting the interior front fiberglass. A lot of sanding and masking things off. I just rattle-canned it but some of the spraypaint they have these days does a pretty damn good job.

Had to trim out a bunch of edges and corners, etc and found plenty of places that needed filler added and sanded down, but finally I couldn't take it any more and started putting primer on everything. Eventually got all the walls and the ceiling primed, and the last of the upper cabinets painted. Next I went around the whole interior and caulked every edge and joint. Next up is to paint the walls and cabinets. The walls and ceiling will be satin white with gray trim, and the cabinets will be gray. Its finally to the point where the wife can start jumping in to help, she's gonna get started on seat cushions, backsplash, curtains and that kind of thing. Also its time to put the dash back together so I can start it up and move it around. Its been sitting in the same spot for months.

Attachments

• IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0409.JPG
    IMG_0409.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0405.JPG
    IMG_0405.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 46

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think I have a few shorter trips to log before I attempt something like that in this old beast. She may be mainly for car shows and tailgating and beach trips for a while until I see how reliable its going to be (or not be :lol:).

But you just invited all the rest of us to join you on a legendary boys trip to...

...oh, gotcha.

Yeah, uhh, nevermind Swonk. I was definitely thinking of a different RV and uhh, somebody else.

Alex.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You're not actually gonna drive that POS anywhere off your property are you? :rotfl::rotfl:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So the wife comes out while I'm cleaning up and says "Hey, what are we waiting for, lets paint this thing. So I cut it in and she rolled everything. Got the ceiling and walls done. Of course I'll have to go back and finish a few areas but I'm pretty pleased with how the paint went on.
IMG_0413.JPG IMG_0415.JPG

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I let my wife help me paint something once.

She lost her right to ever hold a paintbrush again.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I let my wife help me paint something once.

She lost her right to ever hold a paintbrush again.
I'm always teetering right on the edge of divorce in these situations :lol:.

My favorite is watching her try to spray paint by holding the can four inches away from a spot and just hosing it down. "Oh darn, I got a run!" Yeah, no kidding.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm always teetering right on the edge of divorce in these situations :lol:.

My favorite is watching her try to spray paint by holding the can four inches away from a spot and just hosing it down. "Oh darn, I got a run!" Yeah, no kidding.

We actually work really well together on projects. But not painting.

The spray painting thing is hilariously accurate. I have actually put forth a valiant effort to coach my daughters on the art. One of the best inventions ever made are those plastic adapters you snap onto a can that turns it into a trigger type sprayer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator